Quote from: markj on August 16, 2023, 11:07:28 AM
7:05PM Eastern

Red Sox

James Paxton (L)

Nationals

MacKenzie Gore (L)

Gametime Temp: 81°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

How about winning the series tonight markj?  It would be a real dandy to show that we really are on a roll.  There have been too many cold streaks this season and we have to put an end to that.  I'm still now sure we can do it but we have the chance right in front of us and now with the trading deadline finished it is time for Alex to start managing like a top rated manager should, which we all know he hasn't been for mu ch of the season.  No playing favorites, no jerking any players around, putting your best men in the lineup, and keeping morale on the team on a high note.  Can he do it?????

longgame

There sure aren't a lot of big names in that lineup. I didn't recognize anyone on that team last night. I get the Nats broadcast and they're a pretty good crew.  They were really wondering about a strike called on TUrner that was a foot outside.  They also give a lot of props to the Sox for being a tough team for the Nats, but also being enigmatic - kill the Yankees, can't beat the Rays, play the Braves well and get swept by the Marlins. Apparently they had won 12 of their last 14 home games though going into last night.

longgame

Old friend Michael Chavis is in the lineup for the Nats.  I always liked that kid.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2023, 11:20:26 AM
There sure aren't a lot of big names in that lineup. I didn't recognize anyone on that team last night. I get the Nats broadcast and they're a pretty good crew.  They were really wondering about a strike called on TUrner that was a foot outside.  They also give a lot of props to the Sox for being a tough team for the Nats, but also being enigmatic - kill the Yankees, can't beat the Rays, play the Braves well and get swept by the Marlins. Apparently they had won 12 of their last 14 home games though going into last night.

Not much doing with the Sox bats tonight.

MongoLikeSox

We've been sans our normal internet service since the storms rolled through here two days ago, though we did get it back for a few minutes last night. We get horrible mobile reception out here, so no baseball on TV for me except a couple innings of this game.

So I see Whitlock threw a dud. Was his velocity down or was he grooving pitches again?   

longgame

It happened to quick to notice frankly.  Sox had finally scored on a Reyes 2R HR, and then Whitlock came in and yoúre thinking we were in good shape and then I swear I looked away a moment and we were down 3.

Schloicka

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 17, 2023, 06:49:42 AM
We've been sans our normal internet service since the storms rolled through here two days ago, though we did get it back for a few minutes last night. We get horrible mobile reception out here, so no baseball on TV for me except a couple innings of this game.

So I see Whitlock threw a dud. Was his velocity down or was he grooving pitches again?

To me he looked hesitant. Didn't seem to have a good fastball. Hopefully it was just one of those nights for him.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Schloicka on August 17, 2023, 09:25:33 AM

To me he looked hesitant. Didn't seem to have a good fastball. Hopefully it was just one of those nights for him.

So is Whitlock in the rotation or in the bullpen?  I can't remember before he went IL.  Maybe he doesn't know himself mentally, if he is a starter or a relief man!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 17, 2023, 11:30:08 AM

So is Whitlock in the rotation or in the bullpen?  I can't remember before he went IL.  Maybe he doesn't know himself mentally, if he is a starter or a relief man!
He's in the Bullpen for the rest of the year. He was rotation before the latest injury. I don't think anyone is sure going forward beyond this season.

SeaBeachFred

George---is he a starter or a reliever?????  Since we got the guy it seems the manager and front office can't seen to make up their mind what spot is best for him.  Now, I'm not making excuses for this guy but it helps very much if a pitcher knows how he is to be used.  It seems to be there has been a lot of indecisive things going on with our FO and coaching staff.  Hopefully they put Whit in one area and keep him there.