Dominic Smith (L) 1B
Stone Garrett (R) RF
Jake Alu (L) 2B
Ildemaro Vargas (S) 3B
Blake Rutherford (L) LF

Gametime Temp: 81°F
Chance of Precip: 34%

Sea Dog 23

Pivetta and Gray have almost identical stats this year, even down to IP.  A difference, Gray has a little higher ball/strike rate (59BB to 110K) vs Pivetta with 38BB to 120K.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 15, 2023, 09:10:53 AM
7:05PM Eastern

Red Sox

Nick Pivetta (R)

Alex Verdugo (L) RF
Justin Turner (R) DH
Rafael Devers (L) 3B
Trevor Story (R) SS
Triston Casas (L) 1B
Adam Duvall (R) CF
Jarren Duran (L) LF
Pablo Reyes (R) 2B
Reese McGuire (L) C

Nationals

Josiah Gray (R)

CJ Abrams (L) SS
Lane Thomas (R) CF
Joey Meneses (R) DH
Keibert Ruiz (S) C
Dominic Smith (L) 1B
Stone Garrett (R) RF
Jake Alu (L) 2B
Ildemaro Vargas (S) 3B
Blake Rutherford (L) LF

Gametime Temp: 81°F
Chance of Precip: 34%

On the internet markj I received a missive yesterday about how this upcoming series with the Washington Nationals could be a trap series, giving how the Nats have been doormats for the past few seasons.  There was an unmistakable warning that our guys had better not go in there with a blase attitude.  We are at a point that every series is a crucial one and the tougher ones are coming soon en-masse.  We put ourselves into this position with some lethargic and uninspired play over the last two months so it would be very wise to make up for it now and taking on and beating the best would be a shot in the arm for the Red Sox......BUT, WE CANNOT UNDERESTIMATE THE NATIONALS.  We do at our own peril.  We must hit the power button and at least take this series.

Sea Dog 23

Sox said today that Houck is being activated later this week, and will start against the Astros next Monday.  That is a lift for guys like Pivetta, who are piling up innings pitched.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 15, 2023, 07:21:39 PM
Casas is money.  What a great at bat.

He is coming around at an impressive rate and we need to keep him in the lineup against all comers.  I just hope he continues to get better and some joker coach for the organization doesn't start screwing around  with his hitting mechanics.  Needless to say it was a good win tonight with great relief pitching, one hit over 4.2 innings.  And good to come from a run behind after surrendering our three run lead and getting the lead back in the fifth and keeping it.

Sea Dog 23

Bloom has come up way short in filling the holes on this team.  But he did get the bullpen right.  When leading after 6 innings this year, Sox are 50-3.  Tops in MLB.  Now will he ever figure out the infield?

longgame

I was ready for them to dump the kid. Glad they stuck with him.  He really turned it around.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 16, 2023, 06:54:12 AM
Bloom has come up way short in filling the holes on this team.  But he did get the bullpen right.  When leading after 6 innings this year, Sox are 50-3.  Tops in MLB.  Now will he ever figure out the infield?
That's a helluva record Sea Dog when you consider some of the relievers we've used were little more than batting practice for the opposition, so give Bloom a modicum of credit for that.  As for the infield, maybe now we are getting closer to a decent one with Story back and hopefully with Casas emerging as a real power threat and when Devers gets his fielding up to par. But as we all know it is time to barf can these hot and cold streaks which has beguiled us this year and start playing consistently winning baseball.....if we can and which we must.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2023, 07:03:03 AM

I was ready for them to dump the kid. Glad they stuck with him.  He really turned it around.

Well I guess our front office can get it right once in awhile but I will be convinced if they leave him alone from here on in Ted and let's see what he puts up batting wise for the remainder of the season.  As for the team our arduous road trip got off to a good start but we still have some real challenges to go through and finally must be able to sustain a streak and after a very very small hiccup go on and start another hot streak.  That is the only way we can have a real chance to get a post-season berth.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 16, 2023, 11:04:12 AM
That's a helluva record Sea Dog when you consider some of the relievers we've used were little more than batting practice for the opposition, so give Bloom a modicum of credit for that.  As for the infield, maybe now we are getting closer to a decent one with Story back and hopefully with Casas emerging as a real power threat and when Devers gets his fielding up to par. But as we all know it is time to barf can these hot and cold streaks which has beguiled us this year and start playing consistently winning baseball.....if we can and which we must.

I have to think that having Story there makes Devers better.  We didn't see Story until this year and in limited action I've been impressed with a few plays he's made already.  There was one that Devers couldn't get to, he went across to his other side to make the play from deep in the hole.  Devers may have been pressing knowing he couldn't count on the guys next to him.  Whatever the reason though the kid needs to get his glove on right!

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on August 16, 2023, 11:17:12 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 16, 2023, 11:04:12 AM

I have to think that having Story there makes Devers better.  We didn't see Story until this year and in limited action I've been impressed with a few plays he's made already.  There was one that Devers couldn't get to, he went across to his other side to make the play from deep in the hole.  Devers may have been pressing knowing he couldn't count on the guys next to him.  Whatever the reason though the kid needs to get his glove on right!

I have for years thought Devers could and should be a gold glove 3rd baseman.  Virtually all his errors have been mental ones, mainly rushing his throws or trying to do more than he should.  I also think that he really suffered by losing an older brother figure in Bogaertswho was asteading influence.  I hope Story can fill that latter role.

MongoLikeSox

I agree on the Devers front. My only major gripes with Devers' defensively has been those mental errors when it comes to throws. He's always had the ability to do better than the numbers indicate.

On the smaller things, Devers is also prone to being a bit late on his jumps at times, but has seemed more consistent this year. He stands too tall(rigidly or erect?) at times when the base-running action is around 3B. He'll miss a few throws in his direction because of it. Pop-ups, though. It's hard to imagine how you could ask for more. He covers a lot of ground and can catch about anything.

Casas across the IF has gotten much better on his scooping low throws. He's still a little slow on the hard hit balls, but I'm hoping that improves as the game slows for him. I think the corners can end up being good for us, defensively.