GAME #102 - WEDNESDAY, JULY 26, 2023 - ATLANTA BRAVES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 26, 2023, 07:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 27, 2023, 06:47:03 AM
Sox pitched up a reliever from the Giants late last night and sent Ort to the 60 day DL.
This one might work out for the Giants. The guy their getting had seemingly worked out his command issues and had posted a 3.66 ERA since the end of May, including a 0.96 ERA in July with only 2 walks. He's 23 just now figuring it out in low-A.

Meanwhile, the guy we're getting had 5 good outings this month with San Fran, giving up a solo HR for his only run. We'll see. Must be nice to be able to give up a guy that did well like that to DFA-land. 

elktonnick

Great game.  Looking back at Raffy's errors, in my view they all fall into the category of mental errors.  Raffy is not a mature ball player despite how many years he has played.

Sea Dog 23

Casas is becoming a star in mid-season.  They put a lot of pressure on him to start in Boston early, and he has handled the pressure well.  As far as Raffy, I think he will be headed to DH next couple years, like Fred said, with Turner at 3rd next year if he extends,  and someone like Meidroth taking over in 2025..

MongoLikeSox

I'm not sure Turner will make it anywhere close to a whole season playing defense. He's either rusty or a little slower to react at times, too.

Raffy's not too old to turn this around. He can do it. Will he do it? Do the Sox have the people in place to assist him, or is he on his own? I guess we'll find out sooner than later. I'm still hoping that these good glimpses become more commonplace with time. As much as we all love Big Papi, having a full-time DH does have it's own share of issues.

I wonder if Blaze Jordan might be a better fit should Raffy turn DH? He's been playing 1st and 3rd. Came up as a 3B. Big power and can hit for average so far. Meidroth might be that super-sub type that teams covet. He can play 3B, SS and 2B and play them well. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 27, 2023, 06:38:21 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 26, 2023, 10:49:42 PM
We did what we had to do and won the two game series with the powerful Braves, coming from three behind to rally and win a big game.  Of course, all the games for us are now big games and that's what we get for being so drab earlier in the season when we fell so far behind in the toughest division in baseball, but we seem to be playing better baseball as we head for a six game roadie against the Giants and Mariners.  We need to keep the pressure on and keep winning series after series, and will someone tell Devers how to play defense?  The guy is really becoming a sieve over there and it makes we wonder if DH is his future home.  He simply hasn't improved much in the hot corner. Any good series and we did pick a li ttle ground in the process.
Big series this weekend. I wonder if these two games were enough to convince the brass that the team will compete? 4 more games before the deadline.

Those four games before the TD are very very important from where I am sitting.  If we drop three of four or lose all four on the road, then we need to stop in our tracks because the team once again is going the hot and cold route as we have done so many times this season.  If we split those four it is a toss up.  Win three of them or all of the games then we need to embark on a chase for a post season berth.  Just my opinion on the matter.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 27, 2023, 07:52:36 AM
Casas is becoming a star in mid-season.  They put a lot of pressure on him to start in Boston early, and he has handled the pressure well.  As far as Raffy, I think he will be headed to DH next couple years, like Fred said, with Turner at 3rd next year if he extends,  and someone like Meidroth taking over in 2025..

Daddy should be a gold glove 3rd baseman but he can not avoid the mental mistakes.  If you really study his errors they all stem from his rushing either his throws or trying to do more then he should.  The problem is he doesn't seem to learn from them.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on July 27, 2023, 04:43:14 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 27, 2023, 07:52:36 AM

Daddy should be a gold glove 3rd baseman but he can not avoid the mental mistakes.  If you really study his errors they all stem from his rushing either his throws or trying to do more then he should.  The problem is he doesn't seem to learn from them.
How dare you, sir, for using the eye test.
J/K, of course.

He's got the tools, that's for sure.