Deadline moves - Sox and others.

Started by MongoLikeSox, July 25, 2023, 06:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

What's the message? To me Bloom said it all, in not so many words.  We're not going to make any moves because the team isn't going anywhere.  I'm actually okay with that philosophy, but if that's the case then exchange some short term guys for depth.  This is not that tough.  I'm wondering if other teams just laugh and offer the lowest level guy they can just to see what they can get away with so they can fleece this guy.

Disappointing, but at least they rebounded and won.

MongoLikeSox

Yeah, I've got some mixed feelings on this deadline year and the whole string of deadline deal years this guy has put together. It went downhill after Pivetta, and his success has varied. The Pirates pulled it off nicely. Then again, we are in the thick of a Wild Card race. The tension can ease up.

Sea Dog 23

At the end of the day, I think Bloom looked at his lethargic trade deadline as a means for preserving the Mayer/Raphaela/Yorke nucleus of the next good Sox team.  Yesterday he acted like his job is secure.  If he thought his job was on the line, he would have traded one of those prospects for a good pitcher and tried to help the 2023 team - the cost of trading for a Giolito or maybe a Verlander, costing more. 

Somebody must be telling him it's OK to stay the course, or maybe those people don't care about getting into a ALDS series this year to satisfy the fans.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 02, 2023, 08:26:58 AM
Good piece by Bradford on the Sox non-productive trade deadline.  https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/red-sox/identifying-red-sox-as-underdogs-was-wrong-path-to-take?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
He certainly took issue with the Underdog comment. I found that comment surprising, too. I'm not sure I agree with the arguments for the objection, but I do understand the objection itself. To me, it's just more of the same old contrived Bloom spin-speak.

In the end, I really would have preferred that NESN not put up that excerpt of Bloom's digital press conference up on my TV. I was having a nice evening and he ruined my mood for a few minutes. I don't really care to see that guy spin his accounts of the situation up on my TV screen. I certainly don't want to hear his spins about ball players, team building and gauging the clubhouse temperature.

What we've seen this past few weeks (maybe a lot longer) is an inability to make a deal with anyone other than LA, CWS, KC and Milwaukee that doesn't involve a DFA. Others here have suggested that Bloom and the Sox are not respected by their counterparts on other teams. If Bloom is indeed exhausting (or other) to deal with, they will not waste their precious deadline time cycles trying to get something done with him. That alone renders him an ineffective executive.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 02, 2023, 08:29:01 AM
At the end of the day, I think Bloom looked at his lethargic trade deadline as a means for preserving the Mayer/Raphaela/Yorke nucleus of the next good Sox team.  Yesterday he acted like his job is secure.  If he thought his job was on the line, he would have traded one of those prospects for a good pitcher and tried to help the 2023 team - the cost of trading for a Giolito or maybe a Verlander, costing more. 

Somebody must be telling him it's OK to stay the course, or maybe those people don't care about getting into a ALDS series this year to satisfy the fans.

Strangely I support Bloom's reluctance to get into a deep trading war the last few days.  First of all, it isn't because I think he is doing a bang-up job.  Quite the opposite as a matter of fact.  I was scared shitless that he would make some mediocre pitching moves that would cost us guys like Mayer, Rafaela, Yorke, Jordan and the like for mediocrities that would never move the needle for us the next two months.  We do have some good young players and we need to keep the cream of the crop and trade off the crap of the cream.  I just wish Bloom wasn't in charge of doing that because I have become convinced he doesn't know talent worth shit.  But he did make the right call this past weekend IMHO.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 02, 2023, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: longgame on August 02, 2023, 08:26:58 AM
Good piece by Bradford on the Sox non-productive trade deadline.  https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/red-sox/identifying-red-sox-as-underdogs-was-wrong-path-to-take?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
He certainly took issue with the Underdog comment. I found that comment surprising, too. I'm not sure I agree with the arguments for the objection, but I do understand the objection itself. To me, it's just more of the same old contrived Bloom spin-speak.

In the end, I really would have preferred that NESN not put up that excerpt of Bloom's digital press conference up on my TV. I was having a nice evening and he ruined my mood for a few minutes. I don't really care to see that guy spin his accounts of the situation up on my TV screen. I certainly don't want to hear his spins about ball players, team building and gauging the clubhouse temperature.

What we've seen this past few weeks (maybe a lot longer) is an inability to make a deal with anyone other than LA, CWS, KC and Milwaukee that doesn't involve a DFA. Others here have suggested that Bloom and the Sox are not respected by their counterparts on other teams. If Bloom is indeed exhausting (or other) to deal with, they will not waste their precious deadline time cycles trying to get something done with him. That alone renders him an ineffective executive.

Ineffective Mongo?  I have a more appropriate word.........INCOMPETENT!!!!!!!

longgame

I'd be interested in what the front office thinks, but I'd think that based on Bloom's comments, he has a narrow range of results after stating his lukewarm "confidence" in his "underdog" team.

Miss the playoffs altogether - Gone
Make the WC, lose the play in - borderline
Make the ALDS - gone - should have invested in the team
Make the ALCS - Stays - success beyond expectation.

He's probably hoping for #2 as the best possible case.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on August 03, 2023, 07:19:06 AM
I'd be interested in what the front office thinks, but I'd think that based on Bloom's comments, he has a narrow range of results after stating his lukewarm "confidence" in his "underdog" team.

If you're talking about Bloom's lifeline, I don't think those results matter - for him.  I think his job is secure this year.  However, if outcomes 1 and 2 take place, I think Cora is the sacrificial lamb, he's gone.

elktonnick

I believe that Cora is not a happy camper.  Bloom's failure to improve the club and his micromanagement of the day to day roster (which I think is occurring) is a source of tension.
From Blooms perspective he can make a legitimate case to ownership that Cora does not have his team ready to play.  Any one who watches them play can see that this is not a well coached team.  I think Cora was not Blooms guy from the outset.  I do not think he was ever Blooms first choice as manager but was a forced hire.

Unless there is some wild miracle of circumstances and Boston has a lengthy play off run, Cora is gone IMO.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 03, 2023, 09:17:24 AM
Quote from: longgame on August 03, 2023, 07:19:06 AM

If you're talking about Bloom's lifeline, I don't think those results matter - for him.  I think his job is secure this year.  However, if outcomes 1 and 2 take place, I think Cora is the sacrificial lamb, he's gone.
I had 3 big knocks against Cora going into the year. His ability to kill off pitchers, that teacher's pet thing and his inability to allow young talent to blossom. He did alright with Duran, Casas and Wong this season, not to mention fine showings from the younger pitchers.

I think he played his cards very well early in the season with his "this is what you give me for ball players, this is what you get" as far as managing decisions go. The teams' fielding woes should not be what they are. Veterans missing cutoff guys, near collisions and confusion on popups AND ground balls now. This might be the nail in that coffin.

On the opposite end, we have Bloom. Sooner or later, word might get back to Ownership just how little is thought of Bloom by his peers. That in itself is a crippling attribute to team building. Missing opportunities to use high quality, high character trade bait two years in a row to better your organization is no small miss.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 03, 2023, 09:33:59 AM
I believe that Cora is not a happy camper.  Bloom's failure to improve the club and his micromanagement of the day to day roster (which I think is occurring) is a source of tension.
From Blooms perspective he can make a legitimate case to ownership that Cora does not have his team ready to play.  Any one who watches them play can see that this is not a well coached team.  I think Cora was not Blooms guy from the outset.  I do not think he was ever Blooms first choice as manager but was a forced hire.

Unless there is some wild miracle of circumstances and Boston has a lengthy play off run, Cora is gone IMO.

Well said Elk; you hit a homer with me on that one-----and probably with your wonderful wife too as she is probably knee deep in the blues along with the rest of us.  It did hit me after your post that Bloom could actually be micromanaging the team, but either way the team isn't doing the job because I think both men are incompetent dolts whose only talent is to give the team a double dose of incompetence.  I would be more than a little chapped if both dweebs are back with the team next season.  For heaven's sake, we need to jettison at least one of them.

longgame

Maybe instead of continually rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic they'll take out the Captain and the First Officer.  Then we start all over again.

MongoLikeSox

Now the MLB Red Sox site is using the nauseating "underdogs" thing in articles. I swear it's gonna become a frigging marketing campaign. Tee-shirts on the players warm ups, coaches forced to wear them, etc. Just disgusting.

Baseball has been overrun with the whiz-kids running everything from positioning to pitching, fielding(plays) and batting strategy of all forms. Joe Maddon even bitched about it on his exit presser. That was what, two years ago?

Sea Dog 23

Rosenthal reported that Bloom was very close to dealing Justin Turner to the Marlins.  Was the asking return INF Joey Windell ??  Hopefully it was pitching.
He did say Bloom contacted Mets about Verlander.