Deadline moves - Sox and others.

Started by MongoLikeSox, July 25, 2023, 06:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 03, 2023, 07:39:57 PM
Rosenthal reported that Bloom was very close to dealing Justin Turner to the Marlins.  Was the asking return INF Joey Windell ??  Hopefully it was pitching.
He did say Bloom contacted Mets about Verlander.

After every trade deadline since Bloom we have heard the same nonsense about trade deals that almost were but did not happen.  IMO it is all part of the great spin machine to convince gullible fans that the FO really really wants to do what is necessary to win.

I do not believe a word of it.

MongoLikeSox

It was the Marlins who thought they were close to a deal before it fell through. I can't imagine any deal would have been for anything other than pitching.

The more interesting question I have is why the deal fell through. Last year it was a JDM deal.

I'm sure we kicked the tires on lots of people. I have my doubts that we went very far with the Verlander thing. I can't see Verlander thinking Boston would be the place to go with it's iffy management practices.

longgame

I'm torn between whether he could have received some value or just stockpiled pieces like he usually does.

They should make t-shirts that say "Underdogs who can't close a deal".

MongoLikeSox

Some fallout news from the trade deadline. I just read that Arroyo cleared Waivers and was Outrighted to Worcester. I thought he would have been snatched up by someone.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 07, 2023, 07:33:59 AM
Some fallout news from the trade deadline. I just read that Arroyo cleared Waivers and was Outrighted to Worcester. I thought he would have been snatched up by someone.

I think I read that Arroyo now has to accept the Worcester role to keep his pension.  Becoming a free-agent, he would have to start with a clean slate.

longgame

Well now we know why they kept Reyes - he can pitch too.  Our own Shohei.  Best pitcher the Sox ran out there yesterday. 

MongoLikeSox

A sort of interesting, albeit incomplete article in the Athletic by Ken Rosenthal about the Red Sox plight with Chaim Bloom at the helm. Nothing new to anyone around these parts. If anything else, he goes overboard to be fair and balanced. Basically he's questioning whether or not he'll have the nerve to get it done if he ever does finally get the core assembled. That, and if he'll ever understand that it's more than a math equation.
https://theathletic.com/4754438/2023/08/07/boston-red-sox-chaim-bloom-trade-deadline/

He writes on of these about every six months for the past couple of years. It's about as kind as he gets with Bloom.