Deadline moves - Sox and others.

Started by MongoLikeSox, July 25, 2023, 06:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Me thinks ERod is going to fetch a big price today unless the Tigers hold out too long (AKA Pulling a Bloom). The high level know-it-all types' articles suggest the Dodgers and Orioles are amongst the bigger stacked systems after him.

Quote from: longgame on August 01, 2023, 09:45:49 AM
Interesting tweet:

Two Red Sox strategies that make the most sense today:

1.  Trade for Justin Verlander, and win it all.

2.  Blow it up.  Trade the short term guys like Turner, Verdugo, Paxton, Martin, Jansen.

Number two is what Bloom really wants. 

But ownership is sick of losing, and Bloom has been so terrible at building competitive rosters, and winning trades.

So neither will happen.

Is ownership sick of losing or are they getting sick of being ridiculed in a relentless fashion? I guess it doesn't matter. If you've got a team with a $220M payroll that needs Yu Chang to get off the IL in order to compete, something is wrong. The Bob Dylan Song, "Ballad of a Thin Man" just came to mind. Totally different topic, but same sort of blind eye to what's happening.

Sea Dog 23

Sox are out of the running for Rich Hill.  He went to the Padres today.  Good.  Also the Jays are probably going to get INF Paul DeJong from the Cards.

A message sent along to the Sox from Mets today.  They would be interested in Chris Sale in the off-season (Sale's final year)

MongoLikeSox

I wouldn't count the Sox out in the Rich Hill sweepstakes. Bloom might get creative.   rofl

Just impressive to see the Jays fix a key position in about 1/2 a day. Kudos to them. Same for losing and getting a fill-in for their closer. What, 2-3 days? It takes the 'Sox 2-3 years, and then it only after severe public disgracing of ownership. 

Sea Dog 23

I don't know what else Orioles do today, but I'll say their opponent in the ALCS will be between Rangers and Houston (Verlander).  Those two have made a statement the last couple of days.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 01, 2023, 02:14:21 PM
I don't know what else Orioles do today, but I'll say their opponent in the ALCS will be between Rangers and Houston (Verlander).  Those two have made a statement the last couple of days.

Just saw that Verlander move.  Houston gave up their only top 100 prospect.  I guess it would be like the Sox giving up Raffaela for him. 

Sure seems like Bloom's moves are to bring back McGuire and Story, hope that the pitchers return sooner rather than later and hope they are better than they really are.  Probably not a bad no move.  They make a Wild card spot, but they couldn't add enough to go far.  It would be fine if they didn't suck so bad last year and if we had any hope of their ability to improve the team next year either.

MongoLikeSox

Phillies got Lorenzen(rental) for their #5. Trader Joe is going for it.

Sea Dog 23

I think Bloom has checked out.  There's a report out that he put all his chips today  on getting Rich Hill.  But the Padres arrived and got him.  He frittered around and did the Vaz trade last year, not good for the clubhouse.  His only deal this year is disposing of Kike'.  Maybe there were 3-4 ex-Dodgers who will resent that one.

MongoLikeSox

Imagine two straight years of Sox trade deadline nothingness?

ERod nixed the Dodgers trade. Doh!

Sea Dog 23

Well at 15 min past the deadline, Sox announced they traded for another INF - dada!  Luis Urias. Batting .145 this year, .235 career.  -0.5 WAR , slash .145, .299, .236, .535.  In June he played 2B and 3B for the Brewers.

Trade: The Boston Red Sox are acquiring infielder Luis Urias from the Milwaukee Brewers, according to sources familiar with the deal.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 01, 2023, 05:26:03 PM
Well at 15 min past the deadline, Sox announced they traded for another INF - dada!  Luis Urias. Batting .145 this year, .240 career.  -0.5 WAR , slash .145, .299, .236, .535.  Last week he played 2B and 3B for the Brewers.

Trade: The Boston Red Sox are acquiring infielder Luis Urias from the Milwaukee Brewers, according to sources familiar with the deal.
please tell me this was a cash transaction. Regardless .....   rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

So two straight deadlines and we get nothing to use later for ...... oh, whatever. No Adam Duvall prize, just like no JDM prize. I was getting wicked nervous when they showed Jean Segura saying goodbyes. Thankfully it was to Cleveland and not us.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 01, 2023, 05:40:37 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 01, 2023, 05:26:03 PM
Well at 15 min past the deadline, Sox announced they traded for another INF - dada!  Luis Urias. Batting .145 this year, .240 career.  -0.5 WAR , slash .145, .299, .236, .535.  In June  he played 2B and 3B for the Brewers.

please tell me this was a cash transaction. Regardless .....   rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

So two straight deadlines and we get nothing to use later for ...... oh, whatever. No Adam Duvall prize, just like no JDM prize. I was getting wicked nervous when they showed Jean Segura saying goodbyes. Thankfully it was to Cleveland and not us.

To complete the trade we sent  to Milwaukee pitcher Bradley Blalock in Salem, our #37..  Coming of TJS last year.

longgame

MongoLikeSox

Big loser on the day is Bobby Dalbec.

elktonnick

Filene's Basement may be long gone but Bloom continues the tradition of buying everyone's mark downs.  He is striving for the new major league record for having the most utility players passing through the roster in a year.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox apparently found some good value in Urias.  Still young at 26.  Was out first two months with hammy.  Hit .265 in AAA, and .145 in MLB this year in 60 AB. A good walk rate and nice glove tool at 2B and 3B. Will probably be starting 2B next year. 2+ years control at $4.3m. The infield has been a cluster all year.  Maybe this guy and Story will shore up a bad defense.