Deadline moves - Sox and others.

Started by MongoLikeSox, July 25, 2023, 06:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

There have been a few standard issue bargain basement moves for a few teams this month, but nothing related to a trade deadline move until the Braves yesterday. They made a deal with the Rockies for a relief pitcher named Pierce Johnson making basically Joely type money. He had a couple good years for the Padres before an injury last season. This year has been up and down. From what I read, he got the closer's gig when Daniel Bard went down, but did not do well at it. His ERA since being moved back to a normal BP role is 3.60 in the past two months. 

For that, that braves gave up their #10 and #26 prospects. It goes downhill from there. Again, from what I've read, The #10 guy Victor Vodnick, will probably see the big leagues in a year or two if he can reign in the pitch command. He's now the Rockies #20 prospect. The other guy is a started in AAA who hasn't thrown a sub-4.00 ERA since A- in part of 2021. A combined 5.86 ERA that didn't even stick in the Rockies top-30 list.

So there's the market. Doesn't really look like that big of a price for what could be an extra decent BP guy. A legit BP prospect with command issues and a starter who's a long shot.

longgame

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of some of the meetings in the front offices of MLB.  I'd think in this market you have to make a move only if you think you can win it all. A team like the Sox is not in that position, they're not made up well enough and aren't a piece or two from a championship team.  Does it make sense to add a piece that helps you make the Wild card even if you don't stand a chance?  The Sox don't have the pitching unless they had Sale fully healthy in addition to a reliable Paxton and Bello.  Why make a move at this point unless it's to strengthen the team for the future?  And if Bloom's plan is to build the farm system, then why trade prospects just so they can lose later this year? 

How many teams are truly in a place where one more player can make a difference?  Maybe Baltimore and TB?  Why would anyone in the Central try to do more?  Maybe Texas and Houston also in the AL. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on July 25, 2023, 07:27:14 AM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of some of the meetings in the front offices of MLB.  I'd think in this market you have to make a move only if you think you can win it all. A team like the Sox is not in that position, they're not made up well enough and aren't a piece or two from a championship team.  Does it make sense to add a piece that helps you make the Wild card even if you don't stand a chance?  The Sox don't have the pitching unless they had Sale fully healthy in addition to a reliable Paxton and Bello.  Why make a move at this point unless it's to strengthen the team for the future?  And if Bloom's plan is to build the farm system, then why trade prospects just so they can lose later this year? 

How many teams are truly in a place where one more player can make a difference?  Maybe Baltimore and TB?  Why would anyone in the Central try to do more?  Maybe Texas and Houston also in the AL.
Texas just lost Seeger for a couple of weeks and their All-Star RF is out for a few days. Could be a rough week if the backups don't pull through. It's amazing what a potential bad week this time of year can do to a contending team.

I read that Bloom has been on the radio yammering on about looking for a good situation for a starting pitcher. I think every team is in the same boat. Bloom and Kennedy might be in a desperate mode trying to score a big haul.

So, some sad, unintentional humor. I won't name names and the site because I accidentally stepped on the toes of a forum member 6-7 years ago. That out of the way, one report I read this morning called the Red Sox a heavy RH batting team and we are hunting a lefty bat. The reasoning behind that assumption was revealed elsewhere in the article. It was made because of our little AAAA log jam in the SS/2B are all RH batters. So armed with that, we are now trying to unload the RH batting Duvall for a LH hitting OF'er to help balance our RH heavy team. Good times!!!

MongoLikeSox

So the trade last night that the ESPN guys were offering bewilderment about has some clarity. The Guardians traded their starting SS Ahmed Rosario to the Dodgers for the currently injured Noah Syndergaard. Their confusion centered around treadint thei restarting SS. This is Rosario's walk season. The Indians have a guy in AAA near ready and two on their roster that they want to take extended looks at for the rest of this season. That much I get, though they're only 2 games back of the twins. Maybe they figure one of the guys might be better than Rosario? It's the return I don't get. It'd be like trading for Korey Kluber. The Guardians get nothing of going forward value for a starting SS. Seems odd. 

MongoLikeSox

From Longgame on a different thread.
"Sox pitched up a reliever from the Giants late last night and sent Ort to the 60 day DL. "

We get Mauricio Llovera from the Giants, whom they had just DFA'd to make room for a pitcher coming back from injury. He'd been up and down over the past 3 years. 17 games with a 4.41 ERA last year. This year he allowed 1 run allowed in 5 games. Averages just about a strike out per inning. Had decent, though not great AAA going sub 4.00 ERA. Considering we usually dumpster dive for guys kicking up twice or three times that in ERA, this one might not be so bad. He is out of options. We add him, transfer Ort to the 60-day IL, demote whoever it is to Worcester and give him a look for a few games.

The guy we gave up, Marques Johnson, is a 23 year old in Salem with a high ERA, but had turned it around the past couple of months. ERA 3.66 since the end of May. If Llovera works out, this will be a good trade. If not, another dumpster dive.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 27, 2023, 07:36:40 AM
From Longgame on a different thread.
"Sox pitched up a reliever from the Giants late last night and sent Ort to the 60 day DL. "

We get Mauricio Llovera from the Giants, whom they had just DFA'd to make room for a pitcher coming back from injury. He'd been up and down over the past 3 years. 17 games with a 4.41 ERA last year. This year he allowed 1 run allowed in 5 games. Averages just about a strike out per inning. Had decent, though not great AAA going sub 4.00 ERA. Considering we usually dumpster dive for guys kicking up twice or three times that in ERA, this one might not be so bad. He is out of options. We add him, transfer Ort to the 60-day IL, demote whoever it is to Worcester and give him a look for a few games.

The guy we gave up, Marques Johnson, is a 23 year old in Salem with a high ERA, but had turned it around the past couple of months. ERA 3.66 since the end of May. If Llovera works out, this will be a good trade. If not, another dumpster dive.

Turns out Marques Johnson is a California kid, born and bred.  Maybe the Giants' thinking is, a change of scenery for a West Coast boy.

MongoLikeSox

Chicago's Giolito and a reliever Lopez, both rentals, to the Angels for the Angels #2 and #3 prospects. Ouch!!! That is one helluva gamble to try and reach a wildcard spot and retain a glimmer of hope to re-signing Ohtani.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 27, 2023, 11:07:12 AM
Chicago's Giolito and a reliever Lopez, both rentals, to the Angels for the Angels #2 and #3 prospects. Ouch!!! That is one helluva gamble to try and reach a wildcard spot and retain a glimmer of hope to re-signing Ohtani.

Teams are inquiring about their ace Cease.  He is under control through 2024.  However the paleSox are asking for two top prospects, plus mid-rotation MLB pitchers in return.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 27, 2023, 11:39:56 AM

Teams are inquiring about their ace Cease.  He is under control through 2024.  However the paleSox are asking for two top prospects, plus mid-rotation MLB pitchers in return.
Holy Smokes!

longgame

That's quite a return for the Chi Sox.  If they got it once, why not try again?

As for the Angels, they've been a win now window for a while. This may be as close as they come based on past history.  Trout's production and Ohtahni's contract won't last forever. 

SeaBeachFred

No gamble Mongo; just an act of suicide.  No way does Ohtani sign with the Angels in the off season.  Even Angels fans out here in broiling So. Cal are aware of that.  But gamble they did and I hope it does work out for them since my wife Linda has been an Angels fan for decades.

Sea Dog 23

Reports that Sox and Marlins are entertaining Cards INF Paul DeJong.  I guess MGT is really about fixing SS, in case Story is going to need a lot of rest between games through August

He has two option years left on his contract,( total contract I think) for $9mil, plus $12mil club option.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 27, 2023, 02:50:52 PM
Reports that Sox and Marlins are entertaining Cards INF Paul DeJong.  I guess MGT is really about fixing SS, in case Story is going to need a lot of rest between games through August

He has two option years left on his contract,( total contract I think) for $9mil, plus $12mil club option.

You'd think Chang would fill that role.  He'd be the next guy out if they brought on an IF, or do they have a trade in mind for Chang and/or Arroyo?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on July 28, 2023, 07:26:06 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 27, 2023, 02:50:52 PM

You'd think Chang would fill that role.  He'd be the next guy out if they brought on an IF, or do they have a trade in mind for Chang and/or Arroyo?

It could be Bloom's magic (HAHA) to craft a deal for a pitcher or an INF in exchange for the new Frisco reliever and one of our infield prospects that is blocked by Mayer/Yorke or Chang/Arroyo.  Bloom does keep his moves very tight lipped.

An article in the Athletic this week says, they have about $6.5 million before they hit the $233 million tax threshold unless they trade from the current roster.  They think there is a starting pitcher coming in a trade, and that Verdugo is the more likely trade piece considering the value of Duvall's RH bat and his RF abilities, and that Verdugo has probably reached his ceiling as a hitter and now going downhill.

longgame

Interesting.  I like Verdugo, but he looked unwell the other night after having a few nights off. I'm wondering if he's dealing with something health related?  I wouldn't want to give up on him though because his RF defense has looked pretty good.  Whoever we have in CF, until Rafaela comes here, is going to need help, and Yoshida is an average fielder at best.  Duvall is going to always have injury question marks, but he is objectively a better, or at least different, bat. I just like the energy Verdugo brings.  We'll see.

As for the young prospects, I hate to let some of those top guys go considering I can't see them getting a #2 starter level kind of guy, but maybe they just need depth with the experience they've had to date with injuries and those top level guys don't need to be part of it.