Center Fielder of the Future - Duran vs Rafaela?

Started by MongoLikeSox, July 19, 2023, 07:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

You know the Whiz Kidiots are pondering this same question as the trade deadline comes around. Who is going to be the Center Fielder for 2024 and beyond? Lets presuppose that Rafaela starts stringing together some hits instead of just the 5 quick HR's in AAA and/or otherwise shows signs of some plate discipline instead of some excess eagerness.

I'll put it up for discussion instead of listing out virtues of Duran and Rafaela. Each have their potential strengths and weaknesses.

Another interesting and very much related question is do we need Refsnyder when Rafaela is ready to join the big kids? Could we make a 4-headed OF of Verdugo, Duran, Yoshida and Rafaela work? Throw in current trade bait value for Duran, Rafaela, Refsnyder and Duval.

Sea Dog 23

Mongo, if I had to name one starting CF, it would be Duran.  The fickle Sox fans love him this year (hated him last year).  Now if Cora, or whoever is the MGR), want to platoon in CF, you've got a righty batter in Cedenne and a left batter in Jarren.  I've never seen Raphaela play a game yet, but I'm curious how a little 5-9 guy can handle CF in Fenway, although they say he's a magician at times.

Of course Bloom/Henry will likely move some of those OF's you listed for a pitcher real soon.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 19, 2023, 12:33:30 PM
Mongo, if I had to name one starting CF, it would be Duran.  The fickle Sox fans love him this year (hated him last year).  Now if Cora, or whoever is the MGR), want to platoon in CF, you've got a righty batter in Cedenne and a left batter in Jarren.  I've never seen Raphaela play a game yet, but I'm curious how a little 5-9 guy can handle CF in Fenway, although they say he's a magician at times.

Of course Bloom/Henry will likely move some of those OF's you listed for a pitcher real soon.

Duran got jerked around by Cora last season even though much of Jarren's problems were self induced.  He is now a solid 300 hitting CF who can steal bases en-masse, improved defense and a solid leadoff hitter. Cedanne is a RH batter and could be versatile enough to play all over the field, infield and outfield, and become a pretty good all around player as well if he could start to develop some plate discipline which he still lacks.  Duran has earned the job and must be kept in there, however.

longgame

I like what I’ve seen in Duran now that he has his act together.  I have seen a few highlight reels though of Rafaela and he is amazing in the field.  Still, there’s no rush on Rafaela at this point, let’s enjoy this playing out.  I could see a 4 OF rotation with the DH spot as a possibility but the Sox like a fairly regular DH. 

MongoLikeSox

Ceddanne can play some great CF. Fielding-wise, the only thing to worry about is Rookie mistakes. Duran has gotten better, no doubt. I've seen Rafaela play quite a few times in MILB-TV. Has a nice arm make those great plays going forward or back.

Speaking of Duran, I was a bit bummed that Cora didn't PH Duran for someone a couple innings earlier. Give him two chances to wreak havoc instead of one.

No doubt Duran got jerked around, but he did redeem himself this year. That's hard to do with this Manager.

It could cost us one of these guys to get a rental like E-Rod (for example).

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 20, 2023, 07:46:15 AM
Ceddanne can play some great CF. Fielding-wise, the only thing to worry about is Rookie mistakes. Duran has gotten better, no doubt. I've seen Rafaela play quite a few times in MILB-TV. Has a nice arm make those great plays going forward or back.

Speaking of Duran, I was a bit bummed that Cora didn't PH Duran for someone a couple innings earlier. Give him two chances to wreak havoc instead of one.

No doubt Duran got jerked around, but he did redeem himself this year. That's hard to do with this Manager.

It could and I don't like that one bit.  Face it, losing two games to the A's killed much of our momentum because our rivals in the AL East all stumbled and we couldn't take advantage of that against a door mat team.   And why was Duran on the bench yesterday anyway? He has proven he can go up against all pitching types and hold his own.  Once again Cora had to try and show that he's the smartest man in the room only to screw up once again and maybe cost us a vital opportunity to close the negative gap we put ourselves in.  This guy has a very bad case of hubris and it is going to probably cost our team a chance for the playoffs and hopefully cause him to be given his walking papers after his season.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 20, 2023, 03:36:21 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 20, 2023, 07:46:15 AM

It could and I don't like that one bit.  Face it, losing two games to the A's killed much of our momentum because our rivals in the AL East all stumbled and we couldn't take advantage of that against a door mat team.   And why was Duran on the bench yesterday anyway? He has proven he can go up against all pitching types and hold his own.  Once again Cora had to try and show that he's the smartest man in the room only to screw up once again and maybe cost us a vital opportunity to close the negative gap we put ourselves in.  This guy has a very bad case of hubris and it is going to probably cost our team a chance for the playoffs and hopefully cause him to be given his walking papers after his season.

Fred, two quotes this week about improving the team from the Sox (implying what can do at the Deadline) Bloom seems to want to acquire less starpower and less payroll.  Cora seems to say all the farm valuation talk isn't what really matters.

From Bloom - "we really like to have the players we have, and they're competing to be a better team."  Also, "there are many exciting players on their way to Boston (from the minors?)

From Cora - "We’re in a good place. But at the end of the day, the place that we like is to play in October,” Cora said. “It’s not about how many prospects you have or where your farm system is. It might be No. 1 or 30th or whatever. The one that really counts is how many games you win in October and how many games you play in October. That’s what we’re shooting for.“

MongoLikeSox

Sometimes balance is a good thing and sometimes the result is disaster. Cora vs Bloom, round 3.

Duran's weakness is still his defense. I'm not saying an average CF'er makes that play he missed in CF on Alfonso's Triple. Others would not have even gotten to the ball. He had two walls to worry about. Duran's never been great at going back and making the catch and this one was a doozy to make. He made one recently that was at least as difficult. I need to see Rafaela some more, but he might be the one we have who can make that play.

MongoLikeSox

OK, 'gents, imagine a 1-2 punch in the batting order of Duran(L) and Rafaella(R). Now watch the first video in this MLB link. It takes 14 seconds for the ad to complete before the intended video.
https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-prospect-ceddanne-rafaela-dazzling-speed?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Anyone else getting goosebumps?

longgame

I've been fortunate that every time I catch a few innings of the Woo Sox I see him make a great play.

I wish they had that team there when I was in college.