GAME #71 - SUNDAY, JUNE 18, 2023 - NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX - DH Game 1

Started by markj, June 17, 2023, 11:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

1:35PM Eastern

Red Sox

Nick Pivetta (R)

1. Alex Verdugo (L) RF
2. Justin Turner (R) 1B
3. Rafael Devers (L) 3B
4. Adam Duvall (R) CF
5. Masataka Yoshida (L) DH
6. Christian Arroyo (R) 2B
7. Jarren Duran (L) LF
8. Enrique Hernandez (R) SS
9. Connor Wong (R) C

Yankees

Clarke Schmidt (R)

1. Jake Bauers (L) LF
2. Giancarlo Stanton (R) DH
3. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B
4. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
5. DJ LeMahieu (R) 3B
6. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) CF
7. Billy McKinney (L) RF
8. Jose Trevino (R) C
9. Anthony Volpe (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 70°F
Chance of Precip: 24%

markj

Ort is pitching? What happened to Pivetta? Seems like a desperation move. Full BP game, perhaps?

EDIT: Must have been a late change. The Globe is saying it's a bullpen game. Ort doesn't seem to have improved. Sox down by 2 runs already.

Sea Dog 23

After Ort's difficulties as the starter/opener, Murphy and Pivetta ( pitched inning 6 and 7) have shut down the Yanks. Now 6-2 Sox.

Murphy and Pivetta combined for the 5 2/3 middle innings, 0 runs, 1 hit and 7 Ks.  Martin with the save.  Where have these guys been hiding this year?

Schloicka

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 18, 2023, 03:01:17 PM
After Ort's difficulties as the starter/opener, Murphy and Pivetta ( pitched inning 6 and 7) have shut down the Yanks. Now 6-2 Sox.

Murphy and Pivetta combined for the 5 2/3 middle innings, 0 runs, 1 hit and 7 Ks.  Martin with the save.  Where have these guys been hiding this year?

Stupid move by Cora in my opinion but if I can give the guy anything I would say he has balls to sent Ort out there----a totally shitty pitcher every time he has been in Boston.  OTOH, I kind of screwed up with my less than generous marks about Pivetta should he pitch in the opener---which he did and did a very good job and even picked up a win.  I popped offd and came out looking half like a smarty and maybe more than half like a fool, but we came back, won the game going away and have already won the series.  As Schloicka put it, let's now go for a sweep.  After all the Yankees pushed us around last season with scant respect for our team.  We can get in our licks this time around as long as we don't disrespect the Yankees or any other team we play.  So far guys, SO GOOD!!!!!!!

MongoLikeSox

Cora's been quite deliberate in his use of Pivetta until yesterday. Lots of successful 2/3rd inning - 1-1/3 inning type of outings. I can see why Cora would decide against putting pivetta out there to start. Keep him in a consistent mind-set sort of thing. Murphy's been lights out for his 5 games split between AAA and Boston since moving to the pen.

I hope Kluber joins the ranks, though I have my doubts about him settling for a BP role of any sort.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on June 19, 2023, 12:38:58 PM
Cora's been quite deliberate in his use of Pivetta until yesterday. Lots of successful 2/3rd inning - 1-1/3 inning type of outings. I can see why Cora would decide against putting pivetta out there to start. Keep him in a consistent mind-set sort of thing. Murphy's been lights out for his 5 games split between AAA and Boston since moving to the pen.

I hope Kluber joins the ranks, though I have my doubts about him settling for a BP role of any sort.

Rumblings that Houck may miss extended time with the fracture. He's on the 10 day IL, but if they elect to go to surgery, he could be out indefinitely.  Their other option is to heal thyself.  Would that put Pivetta or Kluber back to the rotation?  I'm trying to sort out where they get someone for those innings without a #5 starter.