Buyers or Sellers?

Started by MongoLikeSox, June 15, 2023, 09:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2023, 06:46:44 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2023, 10:35:43 PM
So whatchyu guys think. Is tonight's Verdugo rest about Verdugo, or is it about showcasing Duvall?

It could be a little of both.  Verdugo is in a nosedive.  Slumping badly in July, he was 0-7 in the parts of two games  played in with the Mets on Saturday.  Trading Dugie could bring a reliable pitcher, but how do you man the RF slot?  Although trading him would be a Tampa special going into his contract year in 2024 and selling high during his best overall year.

As far as Duvall,  it would be foolish to trade him without some thinking.  You have three LH hitting outfielders as starters with the Kike' trade.  If you choose to oppose a lefty hurler with a RH bat, you now need Duvall and/or Refsnyder.  Platooning with Duran/Duvall in CF is another option.  But as most of us would say, let Duran run with CF, and don't keep moving him in and out.

Not sure what the deal is with Verdugo, I can’t imagine their sitting him so they can trade him, doesn’t make sense.  Also Verdugo is a solid solution for RF and moving him just creates another hole when there are other needs to address.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on July 26, 2023, 08:06:41 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2023, 06:46:44 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2023, 10:35:43 PM
So whatchyu guys think. Is tonight's Verdugo rest about Verdugo, or is it about showcasing Duvall?

It could be a little of both.  Verdugo is in a nosedive.  Slumping badly in July, he was 0-7 in the parts of two games  played in with the Mets on Saturday.  Trading Dugie could bring a reliable pitcher, but how do you man the RF slot?  Although trading him would be a Tampa special going into his contract year in 2024 and selling high during his best overall year.

As far as Duvall,  it would be foolish to trade him without some thinking.  You have three LH hitting outfielders as starters with the Kike' trade.  If you choose to oppose a lefty hurler with a RH bat, you now need Duvall and/or Refsnyder.  Platooning with Duran/Duvall in CF is another option.  But as most of us would say, let Duran run with CF, and don't keep moving him in and out.

Not sure what the deal is with Verdugo, I can’t imagine their sitting him so they can trade him, doesn’t make sense.  Also Verdugo is a solid solution for RF and moving him just creates another hole when there are other needs to address.

I've seen a narrative that Sox MGT may be looking ahead to 2025 with Mayer and company.  Verdugo is in Boston for 2024, that is in his deal.  They could be enamored with what OF Roman Anthony is doing in AA.  He has become a good power hitter.  Can he be ready for 2025 with Mayer, Raphaela and Yorke?  But right now, we don't even know for sure who will be the manager or the Ops guy next year.

MongoLikeSox

2025 has been obvious since the minute they brought Story in. The writing was on the wall.

It's no secret that I am indeed a Verdugo fan. He's going to make some bank. Maybe not Brandon Nimmo money at 7 years, $20M per year, but it will be sizeable. Verdugo's had a great year. The whiz kidiots are sure to come up with some three headed monster composite of a ball player like they tried last year with JBJ, Franchy and Arroyo.

We don't really have corner OF depth. The highest ranking corner in my mind is Rosier in AA, but he can be iffy with the arm, and I am being VERY, VERY kind. Can hit and is fast. Can catch the ball, too, from what I can tell.

Sea Dog 23

Two minor league signings in the last day, one to our retread Frank German, who I think went through the ChiSox organization lately.

Also a utility player to Worcester.  Eddie Alvarez, 33, had spent the season in Triple-A with the Brewers after signing an offseason minor league deal. The left-handed hitter put together a nice showing for their top affiliate, posting a .283/.397/.473 line over 257 plate appearances. He walked at an excellent 14% clip against an average 22.6% strikeout rate while playing each of second, third, shortstop and both corner outfield positions.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2023, 07:53:19 AM
Mongo, I think there are multiple trades ahead for the Sox.  Probably paving the way for the 2024 team.  A big headache for Bloom, or whoever the Ops guy is, is the 40 man and who eventually gets dangled in the coming Rule 5 Draft.  I saw a list yesterday of 70 of our prospects who will get caught in the numbers game, like Ward and Song last year.

The list  includes  some good ones like Wikleman, Drohan, Gambrel, Lugo, Bonaci, many more.  The solution is to go ahead and trade some of the good pieces while they have value, especially where the prospects are blocked from getting to Boston anytime soon.  Trading those pieces for a rental is insane, and like you say, go for team control with guys like a Bieber or a Zach Eflin and Lowe of the Rays.

https://www.soxprospects.com/rule5.htm
Good points. It's gonna be a rough one. Not too many position players. Maybe a AAA guy who's blocked. Pitchers, though. that's where it's gonna be tough.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2023, 02:19:54 PM
Two minor league signings in the last day, one to our retread Frank German, who I think went through the ChiSox organization lately.

Also a utility player to Worcester.  Eddie Alvarez, 33, had spent the season in Triple-A with the Brewers after signing an offseason minor league deal. The left-handed hitter put together a nice showing for their top affiliate, posting a .283/.397/.473 line over 257 plate appearances. He walked at an excellent 14% clip against an average 22.6% strikeout rate while playing each of second, third, shortstop and both corner outfield positions.
If someone could ever get the command issue thing solved with this German kid....  oy! Yeah, he got DFA'd by the White Sox. The reds snagged him and DFA'd him soon thereafter. I think he agreed to stay with the Reds after going unclaimed, but had since been released.

I had to look up Eddie Alvarez. He's had 3 stints in the Majors, each time hitting well below 200.

MongoLikeSox

Alvarez got taken out after 2 plate appearances this afternoon their 2nd game (DH'er). No idea why.

We need an Eck "Yuk". Kluber's rehab outing - 2IP, 3R. 3H, 1BB, 1HR, 1K. So what's that, one more outing left before the deadline? I can't say I saw this coming. Of Bloom's Dumpster Diving (Geezer Division), I thought this one would work out.

Sea Dog 23

I'm seeing more and more geezer-ville for Bloom.  Rumblings that he shops Nick Yorke for Rich Hill, just for old times.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 28, 2023, 07:31:03 PM
I'm seeing more and more geezer-ville for Bloom.  Rumblings that he shops Nick Yorke for Rich Hill, just for old times.
Oh my!

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 28, 2023, 07:31:03 PM

I think I'd personally drive up with my pitchfork to chase the bastard out of town!