Buyers or Sellers?

Started by MongoLikeSox, June 15, 2023, 09:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

The next blunder(s) will be allowing Bloom and his advisors to conduct the baseball draft and then allow the same crew to dispose of our star players in hopes of finding a couple lotto picks from a Milwaukee or a Dodger AA ball solution.   That will happen, but we'll have a deeper hole to dig out of if they're not cleaned out.

On top of all the angst to come, the 2024 FA market is really thin on field players, and our minor league boys won't be able to fill all the holes.

longgame

As to the hot prospects they have, not only can they not trade them, but they have to start planning for these guys in a couple of years. Let's not develop guys and then block them at the MLB level because we just signed someone for 5 years at the same position. 

Something has to change because it's getting harder and harder to watch.

MongoLikeSox

I think the biggest consensus we all have is that we don't want to see our good prospects traded away to beef of this team. By default, that means we don't want this team to be buyers.

There is no shortage of "Buyers of Sellers" articles in the national press this time of year. The Athletic published one today. It seems they are not as convinced as we are. Here's the Red Sox section of that article.
Quote"You’d be much in demand in the extensive Boston media landscape if you could offer a cohesive explanation of how the Red Sox have been run since their 2018 championship. (Such a thread would invariably start with “It’s time for some game theory.”) Last summer’s trade deadline machinations might have been Chaim Bloom’s most confusing moves yet: In dealing away Christian Vázquez but not J.D. Martinez while also bringing in Eric Hosmer and Tommy Pham, the Red Sox failed to get under the luxury tax or to notably improve either their present club or their future ones. They’re trending toward a similar spot in the standings now, and one imagines a similar approach with an emphasis on improving the starting rotation. â€" TB" 

I was disappointed they chickened out on this. I would have liked to seen an outsider's take on what value we could get for certain chips (Duvall, Kike, Paxton, Jansen, etc)

longgame

Everything about this team is confusing from the press who cover it to fan reactions to the slop we see on display on the field.  Some people will still argue, in the face of a slew of facts to the contrary, that Bloom is doing a good job - both fans and some of the sycophantic press. They've bought the whole "develop the farm club" line after they successfully dealt away some of the best guys to come through that system.  They take chances on old guys while having a young guy like Wacha that would have been available for a decent price.  They can't seem to develop a bullpen. 

There was a time when every minute of every day at this time of year that Boston Sports Media would be raking this team over the coals.  Now they talk about the Patriots 24/7/365.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on June 30, 2023, 12:21:02 PM
Everything about this team is confusing from the press who cover it to fan reactions to the slop we see on display on the field.  Some people will still argue, in the face of a slew of facts to the contrary, that Bloom is doing a good job - both fans and some of the sycophantic press. They've bought the whole "develop the farm club" line after they successfully dealt away some of the best guys to come through that system.  They take chances on old guys while having a young guy like Wacha that would have been available for a decent price.  They can't seem to develop a bullpen. 

There was a time when every minute of every day at this time of year that Boston Sports Media would be raking this team over the coals.  Now they talk about the Patriots 24/7/365.
A wise man once said, the opposite of love is not hate but indifference.  Henry has managed to create an atmosphere of indifference.  Even at its lowest point New Englanders were never indifferent to the Red Sox like they are today.  Henry may become a textbook case of how to destroy the value of a sports franchise.  Rags to riches back to rags in one generation.

longgame

We all suffered a lot of those years and never lost passion for the team.  It's amazing what they can do to a fan base by acting like they're doing a good job while the measurable results show differently.

MongoLikeSox

On the topic of possible trade chips:

Dalbec has not had any game time in AAA since a DH'er on the 29th. He played both games without being subbed for. Turns out he was hit by a pitch in his left hand and that began to swell following the 2nd game. X-rays were negative. They are waiting on a CT scan. Worcester's Manager says he'll be back in action this week if the CT scans end up coming back clean.

One thing has never been so obvious as this. Cora has ZERO interest in Dalbec ATM.

MongoLikeSox

So it's a little over 2 weeks before trade deadline and I still have not formed an opinion on being buyers or sellers. Being down 2+ Starters is tough. I'd love to see Crawford take a nice step forward in that direction and make us down just the 2 starters for now.

Our biggest blunder is the team-wide defensive slump. These guys are playing defense with the same twisted up sphincters that killed the offense with runners on base last season. Yesterday's 3rd inning is a great example. We could have bailed Paxton out of his rough inning if we had simply played an OK defense. Instead we played awful defense with Kike leading the way yet again. 5 minutes later we're down 6 runs when we should have been down by 1. Game over. 

Winning teams make the play Kike missed. He cheated yet again and got burned yet again with that bad anticipation of his. A player can get caught on the wrong foot, but he had taken steps in the other direction by the time the ball hit the bat. His coaches had him positioned perfectly. I also think Wong should have caught that Devers throw. It hit him on the heal of the mitt. Bad throw yes, but Wong had time I don't think he thought he had. A Rookie mistake, perhaps.

My two big questions: #1: Will the Sox hold on to winning ways last long enough this Month to be relevant despite the Starters being out? #2: Will Story's assumption of SS in August magically set the team at ease and play better overall defense?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 16, 2023, 09:23:55 AM
So it's a little over 2 weeks before trade deadline and I still have not formed an opinion on being buyers or sellers. Being down 2+ Starters is tough. I'd love to see Crawford take a nice step forward in that direction and make us down just the 2 starters for now.

Our biggest blunder is the team-wide defensive slump. These guys are playing defense with the same twisted up sphincters that killed the offense with runners on base last season. Yesterday's 3rd inning is a great example. We could have bailed Paxton out of his rough inning if we had simply played an OK defense. Instead we played awful defense with Kike leading the way yet again. 5 minutes later we're down 6 runs when we should have been down by 1. Game over. 

Winning teams make the play Kike missed. He cheated yet again and got burned yet again with that bad anticipation of his. A player can get caught on the wrong foot, but he had taken steps in the other direction by the time the ball hit the bat. His coaches had him positioned perfectly. I also think Wong should have caught that Devers throw. It hit him on the heal of the mitt. Bad throw yes, but Wong had time I don't think he thought he had. A Rookie mistake, perhaps.

My two big questions: #1: Will the Sox hold on to winning ways last long enough this Month to be relevant despite the Starters being out? #2: Will Story's assumption of SS in August magically set the team at ease and play better overall defense?

Right now the word is out the team must drop one player to make up for one they are activating and I hope the one they drop is Kiki Hernandez  He has been absolutely horrible this season save for a couple of good games against the Yankees.  He is a sieve in the infield, his hitting has been subpar but we all know that he is a big favorite of Alex Cora who seem to have them and plays them as we've seen the past couple of years.  Arroyo stays, and Hernandez goes and the reinstated player stays as well. It is high time Cora is called on the carpet and told in no uncertain terms that his playing of his personal favorites has to go or he goes.

Sea Dog 23

Sports Illustrated has an article up that the Sox and Cardinals may have had a casual talk about trading for Cards' 2B Brendon Donovan.  He is batting about .270 this year, and his value - he is under protection through 2028.  I don't know how much time MGT has spent so much energy around the SS/2B the last year. 

But with the mistakes made around the MIF, starting rotation, the catching, the bullpen, it seems that Boston is going down another rabbit hole yet again.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/.amp/news/cardinals-slugger-loosely-linked-to-red-sox-as-trade-rumors-heat-up-nate3

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 17, 2023, 07:04:10 AM
Sports Illustrated has an article up that the Sox and Cardinals may have had a casual talk about trading for Cards' 2B Brendon Donovan.  He is batting about .270 this year, and his value - he is under protection through 2028.  I don't know how much time MGT has spent so much energy around the SS/2B the last year. 

But with the mistakes made around the MIF, starting rotation, the catching, the bullpen, it seems that Boston is going down another rabbit hole yet again.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/.amp/news/cardinals-slugger-loosely-linked-to-red-sox-as-trade-rumors-heat-up-nate3
I wonder why the Cardinals would consider trading him with so much time due on his Rookie deal? He won a Gold Glove as a utility player last year. I didn't even know Utility GG was a thing.   

Seems obvious enough reason the Bloom-led Red Sox would want him. Looks like a great fit for Bloomer's Tampa North ball. Only problem is that he's another LH bat. His primary positions are 2B and Corner OF, more LF and RF, We already have defense in RF and 2B (when Arroyo starts). He's not going to take AB's away from Yoshida or Turner(DH) anytime soon. He hits 60 points higher against RHP than LHP. Seems like Refsnyder's opposite number minus the absurd nature of Refsnyder's splits.

This has all the earmarks of another build from the fringes with a square into a round hole move on it. He could cost us someone we like while marginally improving our team at best. Are they thinking a platoon at 2B with Arroyo? That's the most impact, and it's not all positive. Late inning sub for Yoshida?

IMHO, this is not a difference making move.

longgame

Keep poor Arroyo on the field until he breaks.  I don't get it, the guy is a solid ballplayer.  We don't need another guy out of position!

MongoLikeSox

I'm still on the fence with this team. I'm OK with some of the young player blunders. They happen. The solid veterans have to be solid. I think I'm talking about Devers, Kike and Turner (when he's in the field).

Quote from: longgame on July 18, 2023, 08:58:44 AM
Keep poor Arroyo on the field until he breaks.  I don't get it, the guy is a solid ballplayer.  We don't need another guy out of position!
Cora's seemed quite content to insert Turner in there this past week. He's not looking great out in the field. (I'm being nice) In a few weeks' time, we could see Story and Arroyo as the primary Middle Infield setup. I fear that Arroyo's holding the short straw in Cora's plans.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox are in desperate need of a pitcher in the roatation.  The Tigers' RH Michael Lorenzon or our old friend ERod are names that have been bandied about and seem to be in Bloom's budget for the impact of taking on their remaining '23 contract.  A plug in for the pitching staff could make or break the Sox hopes of making the playoffs, or not.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 23, 2023, 07:01:27 AM
I'm still on the fence with this team. I'm OK with some of the young player blunders. They happen. The solid veterans have to be solid. I think I'm talking about Devers, Kike and Turner (when he's in the field).

Quote from: longgame on July 18, 2023, 08:58:44 AM
Cora's seemed quite content to insert Turner in there this past week. He's not looking great out in the field. (I'm being nice) In a few weeks' time, we could see Story and Arroyo as the primary Middle Infield setup. I fear that Arroyo's holding the short straw in Cora's plans.

Cora will do anything to keep fielding sieve Kiki Hernandez in the lineup.  What more needs to be said.  It is plainly obvious that Cora favors the guy like he was his own kid and that bodes ill will for the team.  Why someone in the front office can't see this astounds me.  Simply put Arroyo has been jerked around by the smartest man in the room for the better part of three seasons.  Yes, Christian seems unable to stay on the field and it is almost like he is made of tissue paper but he is infinitely better than Hernandez.  Then again, this gets old because Cora keeps doind this and getting away with it.  We have to hope that someone upstairs wakes up and sends both Bloom and Alex packing.