Vida Blue, flamethrowing ace of A's dynasty, dies at 73.

Started by Schloicka, May 07, 2023, 11:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Vida Blue, a flamethrowing left-hander who became the youngest MVP in AL/NL history in 1971 and helped the Athletics win three straight World Series championships from 1972-74, died on Saturday. He was 73.

https://www.mlb.com/news/vida-blue-dies-at-73?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share&fbclid=IwAR0ssMG20FWaLytE9F0uYSkBALgiIsqPx22xE61AwvOhfr9OxEIWnsRM3gM

markj

Wow, there's a blast from the past. I remember him. RIP

QuoteBlue’s career took off in 1971, as he won the AL Cy Young and MVP Awards after going 24-8 with a 1.82 ERA and 301 strikeouts over 312 innings.

Not likely to ever see those stats again.

SeaBeachFred

Always sad to hear of the passing of a one time outstanding athlete.  In 1971 Vida was the talk of baseball and his passing, as was the case of so many other greats in recent years, leaves a little gap in our hearts.  On the good news front yesterday Wilie Mays celebrated his 92nd Birthday.  That should take a little of the sadness out of Vida's passing to see the Say Hey Kid still kicking along.

longgame

I remember Vida Blue well as I was really getting into baseball when he was coming through, and him being so young.