Your Rotation?

Started by MongoLikeSox, April 23, 2023, 07:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

The shame is if he goes to the pen we carry the liability of having Pivetta and Kluber in the lineup.  We need more chances to win, not have these clowns out there.  Of course this should have been addressed in the offseason, just like the SS position.  Roosters coming home to roost?

MongoLikeSox

'oy!!! So, I wonder. Jake Pivetta is one of those emotional types. Sometimes those guys prosper in the big AL/NL East cities and sometimes they don't. I wonder how Pivetta might fare if he played for the Twins or someone.

(edit - forgot which thread I was in for a moment)

longgame

Just heard Pivetta going to pen for a long relief role.

Sea Dog 23

Looks like the MLB is throwing Jansen a life line.  The attempts by Willson Contreras the other night to disrupt Kenley's delivery was ruled unworthy.  They will now impose a warning on batters with - one foot in and one foot out - of the batters box to cause an illegal pitch.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on May 18, 2023, 07:09:18 AM
Just heard Pivetta going to pen for a long relief role.
He certainly had his chances.

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 18, 2023, 07:36:08 AM
Looks like the MLB is throwing Jansen a life line.  The attempts by Willson Contreras the other night to disrupt Kenley's delivery was ruled unworthy.  They will now impose a warning on batters with - one foot in and one foot out - of the batters box to cause an illegal pitch.
I still had not figured out if Contreras exploited a loop hole or was living on the edge. The one thought I was left with earlier was that no pitcher ever started a windup with a batter not fully in the box before. As soon as he was in and set, yes, but not before. Speaking of which, I wonder how Wandy for the Yankees is doing with all this. I don't think he was all that much without that quick pitch in his bag, and was unashamed of it.

longgame

Someone had a good observation on this.  Before pitch com and all of this pitch clock stuff everything had a natural order.  You wait until the batter gets in the box, then you flash signs so he can't see you, then the pitcher goes into his motion.  That order is no longer necessary.  They could be ready with the pitch before the guy comes to the plate.  Wasn't the purpose of this to move the games along faster?  They want to prevent quick pitching like Scherzer was doing earlier, but we can't time every motion.  They need to sort this out. 

MongoLikeSox

Back on my Quality Starts obsession. We had a pair in recent games.

Sox are tied for 21st in QS's again. That statistic does not matter quite as much this year so far. Last year the playoff teams filled out all but one of the top-15 finishers in QS. It's somewhat scattered this year, but one thing is certain. Starting with the Red Sox at 21st, all but one team(Marlins) are well below 500 and looking at 4th or 5th in their division.

The anomaly is that the top two teams in QS are both in 4th. Of course Toronto is 7 games over 500, so not THAT bad.

Edit: 3 days later we are 19th. A slow creep up. If only the offense would show a teensy bit of life.

longgame

I really think that stat should be 7 innings, not 6.  Plus 6 innings and 3 runs is a 4.5 ERA, that's not "quality".