5. Edouard Julien (L) 2B
6. Jose Miranda (R) 3B
7. Joey Gallo (L) 1B
8. Ryan Jeffers (R) C
9. Michael A. Taylor (R) CF

Gametime Temp: 52°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Sea Dog 23

Word is out that INF Enmanuel Valdez (the trade piece for Christian Vazquez) is being called up from Worcester.  Originally thought to be a replacement due to Arroyo's injury, but no Valdez will stand in for Chang while he goes on paternity leave. 

Valdez was in a bit of a slump starting out in AAA, but his bat is starting to heat up. 

elktonnick

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on April 19, 2023, 11:58:10 AM
I wonder how long Sox are going to hang with Casas.

Im not sold on either Casas or Yoshida.  There  product seems to be  bases on balls over contact. you'd expect the 1B and LF to be  bigger bats.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 19, 2023, 02:20:45 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on April 19, 2023, 11:58:10 AM
I wonder how long Sox are going to hang with Casas.

Im not sold on either Casas or Yoshida.  There  product seems to be  bases on balls over contact. you'd expect the 1B and LF to be  bigger bats.

At least Casas doesn't carry a big contract.  I feel bad for the kid, he looks like Dalbec did after his confidence was destroyed.  Casas looks as lost as anyone at the plate and you can see it's getting to him.  But I'm really hoping Yoshida isn't a big bust, but what else would we expect from a Bloom deal.  He seems sluggish on defense and totally overmatched at the plate.  Not what we were expecting to get out of this guy at all. 

Maybe last night was enough to interject some excitement in someone beyond Verdugo and Devers. 

elktonnick

I am prepared to be more patient with Yoshida since he is transitioning to a new culture and  an history of success in Japan

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 19, 2023, 04:02:03 PM
I am prepared to be more patient with Yoshida since he is transitioning to a new culture and  an history of success in Japan

Agreed on that.  I just hope he turns it around. 

longgame

Kluber gives up a walk, double and HR in the first inning.  Too many first inning runs!

Schloicka

Verdugo call off the 2nd baseman. That was your ball to catch.

elktonnick

Last night Jim Rice complained that they aren't teaching the fundamentals in the minors the way they did in years passed.  Watching these guys play one sees Rivers point is well taken.

SeaBeachFred

Well that good feeling from Tuesday's comeback win didn't last very long, did it?   All we can now hope for is to win the rubber game and take the series.  Would be nice to jump out in front for a change and get a well pitched game from our starter and bullpen.

MongoLikeSox

I'm glad I only saw the top of the 6th. The 'Canes were in a big battle.

How did Enmanuel look last night? I saw he had an error and a couple of hits. Hopefully he's gotten better with that low breaking pitch recognition.

Quote from: elktonnick on April 19, 2023, 08:00:32 PM
Last night Jim Rice complained that they aren't teaching the fundamentals in the minors the way they did in years passed.  Watching these guys play one sees Rivers point is well taken.
Yeah, man! Go Jim!!!   Notice whenever we watch a Cardinals' game that the announcers are always talking about how well prepared their players are that come up? That's where I'd like our system to look for a working model emulation.

longgame

The Guardians and Rays come to mind in terms of getting young, productive players.  The Sox continue to field bums.  Not sure why they can’t see that every young player turns to crap in their system.  Talent evaluation and development is a big problem.

On the other end, looks like Paxton is looking to match Kluber.  He pitched a stinker last night too. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on April 20, 2023, 07:15:05 AM
The Guardians and Rays come to mind in terms of getting young, productive players.  The Sox continue to field bums.  Not sure why they can’t see that every young player turns to crap in their system.  Talent evaluation and development is a big problem.

On the other end, looks like Paxton is looking to match Kluber.  He pitched a stinker last night too.
To your point, the Guardians AAA team beat up on Worcester in a big way last week.

Paxton didn't start the game last night. It was  BP night. He was pitcher #2. I wonder if the Sox are looking to him in a BP role? Regardless of the intent, I just looked it up. He's never made a relief appearance in the Majors. He made two in AAA back in 2013. 4.2 IP 5ER. Last night makes it 5.1 IP, 12 ER. It can't get worse, right?

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 20, 2023, 07:47:13 AM
Quote from: longgame on April 20, 2023, 07:15:05 AM

To your point, the Guardians AAA team beat up on Worcester in a big way last week.

Paxton didn't start the game last night. It was  BP night. He was pitcher #2. I wonder if the Sox are looking to him in a BP role? Regardless of the intent, I just looked it up. He's never made a relief appearance in the Majors. He made two in AAA back in 2013. 4.2 IP 5ER. Last night makes it 5.1 IP, 12 ER. It can't get worse, right?

This year's team has the ability to exceed expectations Mongo, just not in the way we'd like!