Prospect Bottlenecks - Hoarding?

Started by MongoLikeSox, April 06, 2023, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 05, 2023, 07:30:23 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 05, 2023, 07:18:13 PM
I had to make a note of this, the MLB Futures Game is July 16, 7 PM eastern time from Dodger Stadium.  Marcelo Mayer was one of the early names. Maybe more Sox, I dunno. Bello and Raphaela have played in past games.
Mayer, Yorke and the Portland reliever most often used at Closer named Luis Guerrero are the 'Sox representives. Drohan was on it, but they pulled him and Guerrero gets the nod.

That's good to know.  Something to watch as the big club seems to flounder about this time of year.

MongoLikeSox

It's pretty obvious that we've seen a massive improvement with the Sox' system offensive play. The big names are doing better and some who nose dived last year rebounded nicely this year. A couple of guys are struggling to climb out of the holes they dug after promotions, but the reward potential is too big to pull the plug just yet. I strongly suspect the Sox eased way back on the system approach of hitting. It seemed to start with Yoshida, of all people.

Some of these guys are nearing their AAA assignments. The Red Sox have been very careful to not push that button just yet, even with the injury crisis they've had in Worcester. I don't blame them. That could make Valdez and Hamilton interesting trade chips, but only if Koss and Fitzgerald are ready to come off their IL stints soon. We still need plan-C in case of injuries. We can even delay pushing Mayer and Yorke up to Worcester for a while, which would also help Rafaela get some additional SS reps before getting that call.

I've got a surprisingly deep no-trade list right now. Mayer, Yorke, Meidroth, Rafaela, Bleis, Roman Anthony, Blaze Jordan and the Salem Catcher Brannon Brainer. Hickey and Bonaci might be on that list, too. That's just position players. The biggest surprise is still Meidroth(3B, SS, 2B). He could be the rare Rookie to survive early stints with Alex Cora. He became Portland's best hitter before his first laundry day. There are a few others in Salem who've yet to hit their professional strides that others may have ear marked.

Upper level pitching is iffy. Go to Worcester and it goes to hell. The Portland guys coming from Greenville to well almost right away.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 10, 2023, 09:08:58 AM
It's pretty obvious that we've seen a massive improvement with the Sox' system offensive play. The big names are doing better and some who nose dived last year rebounded nicely this year. A couple of guys are struggling to climb out of the holes they dug after promotions, but the reward potential is too big to pull the plug just yet. I strongly suspect the Sox eased way back on the system approach of hitting. It seemed to start with Yoshida, of all people.

Some of these guys are nearing their AAA assignments. The Red Sox have been very careful to not push that button just yet, even with the injury crisis they've had in Worcester. I don't blame them. That could make Valdez and Hamilton interesting trade chips, but only if Koss and Fitzgerald are ready to come off their IL stints soon. We still need plan-C in case of injuries. We can even delay pushing Mayer and Yorke up to Worcester for a while, which would also help Rafaela get some additional SS reps before getting that call.

I've got a surprisingly deep no-trade list right now. Mayer, Yorke, Meidroth, Rafaela, Bleis, Roman Anthony, Blaze Jordan and the Salem Catcher Brannon Brainer. Hickey and Bonaci might be on that list, too. That's just position players. The biggest surprise is still Meidroth(3B, SS, 2B). He could be the rare Rookie to survive early stints with Alex Cora. He became Portland's best hitter before his first laundry day. There are a few others in Salem who've yet to hit their professional strides that others may have ear marked.

Upper level pitching is iffy. Go to Worcester and it goes to hell. The Portland guys coming from Greenville to well almost right away.

Well said Mongo.  I will only add that the front office and coaching staff must NOT guess wrong on these players as the team has done in the past with others. Mayer, Yorke, Meidroth, Jordan and possibly Rafaela seem to be keepers and future stalwarts for our team.  OTOH, Hamilton looked like shit in his inaugural test with the Red Sox, seemingly to be outclassed at the plate.  He does NOT look like someone who will hit enough and I still think U Chang is a mediocrity.d  Bloom traded for a lot of prospects from other teams and most of them look like bums as by now we know Bloom is a crapola judge of talent.  What happens in the next few months is critical to the future of our team.  Mistakes must not be made with our best players mentioned above.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 10, 2023, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 10, 2023, 09:08:58 AM

Well said Mongo.  I will only add that the front office and coaching staff must NOT guess wrong on these players as the team has done in the past with others. Mayer, Yorke, Meidroth, Jordan and possibly Rafaela seem to be keepers and future stalwarts for our team.  OTOH, Hamilton looked like shit in his inaugural test with the Red Sox, seemingly to be outclassed at the plate.  He does NOT look like someone who will hit enough and I still think U Chang is a mediocrity.d  Bloom traded for a lot of prospects from other teams and most of them look like bums as by now we know Bloom is a crapola judge of talent.  What happens in the next few months is critical to the future of our team.  Mistakes must not be made with our best players mentioned above.
Thanks, Fred.

I agree. I think David Hamilton was called up before it was time for him to be called up. He struggled for 3-4 months in the middle of last season in AA Portland before closing it out with a nice September. He started out doing well in AAA Worcester, but fell out of his tree as Eck would say. His average fell down into the .250's before getting hurt. He had just gotten back into action when the injury to Reyes. Just an "un-lucky" bit of Roster management. (aka trading for too many players not yet ready, but need 40-man roster protection. Oooops, was that out loud?)

I think Hamilton will end up doing OK in the big leagues, but like you said, was out-classed. Perhaps out of his depth. It was simply too soon. Unlike Jeter Downs, I think Hamilton has a chance. The stint might even help his development.

longgame

Given there’s some decent prospective talent in the system and Bloom’s record for trades, I’d be happy if he stayed away from most of these guys.  On the other hand the Sox played themselves into contention just as the ASB hit as I suspected, putting their direction at the deadline in question.  It’s just hard to imagine them spending talent and money on guys for a short run to have the chance to go against much better teams in the postseason.  Besides, anyone dealing front line pitching which is what they need, is going to want too much in return. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on July 10, 2023, 03:05:57 PM
Given there’s some decent prospective talent in the system and Bloom’s record for trades, I’d be happy if he stayed away from most of these guys.  On the other hand the Sox played themselves into contention just as the ASB hit as I suspected, putting their direction at the deadline in question.  It’s just hard to imagine them spending talent and money on guys for a short run to have the chance to go against much better teams in the postseason.  Besides, anyone dealing front line pitching which is what they need, is going to want too much in return.

That's a narrow line to walk for Bloom.  One night he says to himself, "this team just isn't good enough to spend some of the farm on a good pitcher.  Then the next night he concludes, "this is year four for me, the fans at Fenway are begging for a playoff team, I've got to save my job."

elktonnick

I see Bloom taking the middle road.  He will not make any big moves either selling or buying.  He has got Story and Sale coming back so they will rationalize that they don't need to make a big splash. 
They will need to cut someone.  I see Kike being the odd man out despite Cora's affection.  Quite frankly I don't think Bloom cares a bit about what Cora wants.  Bloom will do what he  will do regardless of Cora's wishes.  Hernandez is an overall impediment given Duran's performance.  Hernandez is likely to generate the best return. Moreover I do not think the fans would make much of a fuss over his leaving not as if that would stop.Bloom.if they did.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on July 10, 2023, 08:57:28 PM
I see Bloom taking the middle road.  He will not make any big moves either selling or buying.  He has got Story and Sale coming back so they will rationalize that they don't need to make a big splash. 
They will need to cut someone.  I see Kike being the odd man out despite Cora's affection.  Quite frankly I don't think Bloom cares a bit about what Cora wants.  Bloom will do what he  will do regardless of Cora's wishes.  Hernandez is an overall impediment given Duran's performance.  Hernandez is likely to generate the best return. Moreover I do not think the fans would make much of a fuss over his leaving not as if that would stop.Bloom.if they did.

I hope that will be the case.  Never been a big Kike fan and he's really hurt the team on the field and at the plate this year.  As you said, Bloom seems to march to the sound of his own personal drummer so I'd hope he'd make that move. I'd much rather see Duran continue to evolve and then a big problem is solved for Bloom, we could do a lot worse (and have) than an outfield of Yoshida, Duran and Verdugo.  They absolutely need to know what the deal will be with Story and if and when he's coming back because they have not found a solution at SS that delivers on both sides of the ball.  That one position seems to hurt us a lot.  Pitching is its own saga.

Sea Dog 23

I dont know I this is on another thread.  Chris Cotillo thinks Kike is soon to be gone., if not out the door this week.  Apparently causing problems with mgt. and he thinks possibly in the clubhouse.  "His cocky ways around people this year."  The final straw ... the worst fWAR in MLB right now

Sea Dog 23

Down in A ball Roman Anthony seems to have found his stroke.  In fact Baseball Prospectus just put him on their Top 50 of all MLB prospects at #9.  That's even ahead of Marcelo Mayer at 10.  He is hitting .362, 1.331 OPS at Greenville, and the coaches have converted his ground ball outs and .125 avg   into a different swing giving him doubles and homers.

He was just drafted last year out of high school, and has moved rapidly up the later, being the youngest player on the Greenville Drive roster.

MongoLikeSox

I was surfing through the player notes on SoxProspects.com this morning and noticed that a Salam SP named Luis Perales was being promoted. He's their #7 ranked prospect. I've not been paying much attention to him as he was having his pro-ball struggles. His ERA after his June 3rd start was 5.74. His ERA for his last 5 starts since is 0.68. Opponents BA .092. 36K's in 26IP. I think it's safe to say he's turned it around.

Two more players being promoted after the break. Blaze Jordan earned a promotion to Portland by hitting .324 for Greenville. The other one getting promoted seemed kind of odd. Wikelman Gonzalas struggled big time out of the gate. but settled down with his 6/3 start. His most recent start was a disaster. 7ER's in 5IP. The previous 4 games were outstanding at 1.29 ERA adn 36K's in 21 innings.   

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 13, 2023, 08:58:06 AM
Down in A ball Roman Anthony seems to have found his stroke.  In fact Baseball Prospectus just put him on their Top 50 of all MLB prospects at #9.  That's even ahead of Marcelo Mayer at 10.  He is hitting .362, 1.331 OPS at Greenville, and the coaches have converted his ground ball outs and .125 avg   into a different swing giving him doubles and homers.

He was just drafted last year out of high school, and has moved rapidly up the later, being the youngest player on the Greenville Drive roster.
I've made it a point to watch him. This tall, lanky kid can rake. No idea how he even got promoted to Greenville, but he's cruised since. Even missed almost a week with Strep Throat in the middle of all that. Opposite field power, too. I keep waiting for him to fall out of that tree, but so far, so good.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 11, 2023, 07:02:15 PM
I dont know I this is on another thread.  Chris Cotillo thinks Kike is soon to be gone., if not out the door this week.  Apparently causing problems with mgt. and he thinks possibly in the clubhouse.  "His cocky ways around people this year."  The final straw ... the worst fWAR in MLB right now
The Kike dynamic is something I'd like to not have to see in Boston anymore. Can we get anything for him? Who knows. It'll depend on how much salary we eat. I know why they gave him a $10M extension last year, and it was a smart move. It was never worth it, but it was a smart move. Sometimes the disgruntled employees have a point. This was hush money as much as it was a goodwill gesture towards the long lost clubhouse.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 13, 2023, 09:32:51 AM
The Kike dynamic is something I'd like to not have to see in Boston anymore. Can we get anything for him? Who knows. It'll depend on how much salary we eat. I know why they gave him a $10M extension last year, and it was a smart move. It was never worth it, but it was a smart move. Sometimes the disgruntled employees have a point. This was hush money as much as it was a goodwill gesture towards the long lost clubhouse.

Mongo and Sea Dog, perhaps something has gotten by you since we have had a plethora of info and team propaganda to try and digest the past couple of months, but we have a problem maybe developing within our farm system..........NAMELY TOO DAMN MANY LEFTHANDED HITTERS AND NOT NEARLY ENOUGH RIGHTIES.  Already our main team is loaded with southpaws and when you have guys like Teel (our No. 1. Draftee), Roman Anthony, Marcelo Mayer and a few more batting from the left side we had better be sure that some of our righties develop well enough to be able to grab some of those positions so we have a balanced group of young players who can help us get out of the dregs and get us back into the World Series before the end of the decade.  Not to through cold water on this topic but it is something we need to keep in mind.

elktonnick

One of the constants of the Red Sox over the past twenty years has been their inability to develop pitchers.  It is not my imagination that pitchers today and Red Sox pitchers in particular are injured more today than in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. Dr Andrews the noted orthopedic surgeon said in an interview in 2017 that one of reasons for this increase in pitching injuries is poor mechanics. 

To my way of thinking the team that can figures out it is better for their pitchers to focus on proper mechanics and pitches that do not put undue strain on the forearm and elbow. will achieve a significant advantage.

Curt Schilling years ago noted that teams that avoided having their starters being placed on the IL tended to do better than those who did not.

If it were up to me I would stay away from pitchers who depend on the cutter and I would not encourage it in the minor leagues. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 13, 2023, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 13, 2023, 09:32:51 AM

Mongo and Sea Dog, perhaps something has gotten by you since we have had a plethora of info and team propaganda to try and digest the past couple of months, but we have a problem maybe developing within our farm system..........NAMELY TOO DAMN MANY LEFTHANDED HITTERS AND NOT NEARLY ENOUGH RIGHTIES.  Already our main team is loaded with southpaws and when you have guys like Teel (our No. 1. Draftee), Roman Anthony, Marcelo Mayer and a few more batting from the left side we had better be sure that some of our righties develop well enough to be able to grab some of those positions so we have a balanced group of young players who can help us get out of the dregs and get us back into the World Series before the end of the decade.  Not to through cold water on this topic but it is something we need to keep in mind.
It is lopsided, but not void. Rafaela, Yorke, Meidroth and a few years later already for Bleiss and Brannon.