GAME #7 - THURSDAY, APRIL 6, 2023 - BOSTON RED SOX @ DETROIT TIGERS

Started by markj, April 05, 2023, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Okay the Sox beat the Tigers and Sale pitched well enough to get to the 5th and notch the win. Despite the win, the team has shaky defense, starting pitching and bullpen. The Sox will score runs probably in bunches but will give up probably more.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 07, 2023, 07:14:41 AM
Okay the Sox beat the Tigers and Sale pitched well enough to get to the 5th and notch the win. Despite the win, the team has shaky defense, starting pitching and bullpen. The Sox will score runs probably in bunches but will give up probably more.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you on those points Elk.  What I said in my post was that we got a win and right now that pleases me since I know full well that these wins most likely won't be coming in bunches this season what with our horse dung defense, miserable starting pitching and inconsistent hitting (we have that already).  Maybe with a couple of starters soon to be activated there might be a pleasant surprise in that direction-----or maybe not.

Sea Dog 23

Interesting analysis of Yoshida so far.  Indicates a ground ball hitter coming out of the Spring.

73.1% ground ball rate - 6th highest rate in MLB

Launch Angle (-10.4) - 190th of 191 qualified hitters

He does seem to adjust his swing to get a sac fly with a runner on 3rd.  1 homer, 1 double, 2 BB/3 K's
His 6 RBI's are second on the team (Duvall 12)

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 08, 2023, 07:13:15 AM
Interesting analysis of Yoshida so far.  Indicates a ground ball hitter coming out of the Spring.

73.1% ground ball rate - 6th highest rate in MLB

Launch Angle (-10.4) - 190th of 191 qualified hitters

He does seem to adjust his swing to get a sac fly with a runner on 3rd.  1 homer, 1 double, 2 BB/3 K's
His 6 RBI's are second on the team (Duvall 12)

I think the guy could have benefited from not playing in the WBC.  The overall pitching is a much higher level and literally the speed of the game is no different.  I also noticed something funny and have to watch a little more of him.  He does a couple of things that I'm guessing are part of a Japanese coaching techniques, and they are all related to form, not necessarily function.  For one, when he goes around base and stops he does a quick turn and a little pose.  He does something similar when he throws in a routine fly ball, just a real focus on specific form which I could definitely see being a part of Japanese coaching.