5. Gunnar Henderson (L) SS
6. Terrin Vavra (L) LF
7. Austin Hays (R) RF
8. Adam Frazier (L) 2B
9. Ramon Urias (R) 3B

Gametime Temp: 43°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Sea Dog 23

The Sox are efficient through 4.  Scoring single runs in the first three, with a homer from Kike' in the 2nd.
Houck has been steady, 55 pitches through 4, allowing 3 hits, 4 Ks.  He needs to stay the course, hoping he can deliver at least 6 today.

Sea Dog 23

It's 9-5 going to the 9th.  Duvall has had another day at bat with 3 hits.  Verdugo drove in Yoshida with the last run.  Yoshida has scored three times and has the Sox first stolen base of the year.  Sox could have blown it open, but Arroyo left bases loaded in the first, and Raffy left three on in the 7th.
Modify message

markj

Wow, 50 runs between these two teams over a 3-game series. Not exactly a pitchers' duel.

Sea Dog 23

Some of the pitchers are not quite up to speed.  Watching some of the Phillies games so far.  In two games the Rangers have outscored Philly 27-10.  Padres are not in form yet, as they lost their first two.

longgame

27 runs in 3 games and only win 1.  This team sure can hit but the pitching leaves a lot to desire.  Maybe hitters are just ahead at this time of year?  Not sure but that stretch of Devers, Turner, Yoshida and Duvall looks good.

markj

Quote from: longgame on April 02, 2023, 06:42:22 PM
27 runs in 3 games and only win 1.  This team sure can hit but the pitching leaves a lot to desire.  Maybe hitters are just ahead at this time of year?  Not sure but that stretch of Devers, Turner, Yoshida and Duvall looks good.

Two wins. And the first game was close. Little bit more luck and it could have been a sweep. I think the O's have more to be upset about. Sloppy fielding really cost them this series.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 02, 2023, 07:12:40 PM

Two wins. And the first game was close. Little bit more luck and it could have been a sweep. I think the O's have more to be upset about. Sloppy fielding really cost them this series.

Well today we jumped ahead and when they tied we got the lead right back in our half of the inning.  A decent win and a series win as well.  I can't say how this will go because we can't stop a team from stealing and our pitching has been subpar.  Of course, many teams have had their pitchers clobbered so it might be that the moundsmen are behind the hitters.  A good start would help the Red Sox a lot so we need to win the next series as well.  Can we do it  though?  To me that' the question.

BoSoxFanNY

Hello All!
Baseball 2023.

9 runs each game for the Sox.
Two wins . . .
A good start to the season.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on April 02, 2023, 07:12:40 PM

I hope our management was watching the Oriole's LF'ers in action today and think back to our blunder of a mistake of sending the worst fielder I've ever seen out there time and time again.

MongoLikeSox

I didn't get back from errands until the 7th inning stretch, so I missed Houck. They said he had two big mistake pitches get hit hard for HR's. I hope that was true.

It was so great to hear Youk and OB talk about how the Sox have renewed their contact hitting philosophy. There's a lot of territory between the 1980's Cardinals slap hitting and the past few years everyone going for 450 foot HRs every time up. This weekend looked like a good mix.

longgame

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on April 02, 2023, 10:12:14 PM
Hello All!
Baseball 2023.

Two wins . . .

Hi BosoxFan, good to "see" you!

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 03, 2023, 07:02:50 AM
I didn't get back from errands until the 7th inning stretch, so I missed Houck. They said he had two big mistake pitches get hit hard for HR's. I hope that was true.

It was so great to hear Youk and OB talk about how the Sox have renewed their contact hitting philosophy. There's a lot of territory between the 1980's Cardinals slap hitting and the past few years everyone going for 450 foot HRs every time up. This weekend looked like a good mix.

I think they said the same when Sale pitched - oh he was great except for the 3 HRs.  I think the point is that an average MLB Pitcher should be great 90% of the time, but it's what they do with the other 10% that become hits and runs. 

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: longgame on April 03, 2023, 08:15:29 AM
Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on April 02, 2023, 10:12:14 PM
Hello All!
Baseball 2023.

Two wins . . .

Hi BosoxFan, good to "see" you!

Thanks!