GAME #2 - SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2023 - BALTIMORE ORIOLES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, March 31, 2023, 02:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

My view of the limited ST I watched was they babied the starters in particular early.  Let them go an inning or two and then all of a sudden it seemed like guys were out there throwing 80 pitches.  This has to start in the offseason and they've got to be ready to throw a couple of innings on day 1.  Maybe not great at that point but to work up strength.  Keep running those guys out there every 5 days and not worry so much about minor league relievers.  Add an inning of work each time, or go by number of pitches, I don't care, but ramp it up.  All I know is that by the end of ST these guys were getting hammered regularly and it hasn't stopped in the regular season against our biggest contender for the cellar of the division. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 03, 2023, 08:14:07 AM
My view of the limited ST I watched was they babied the starters in particular early.  Let them go an inning or two and then all of a sudden it seemed like guys were out there throwing 80 pitches.  This has to start in the offseason and they've got to be ready to throw a couple of innings on day 1.  Maybe not great at that point but to work up strength.  Keep running those guys out there every 5 days and not worry so much about minor league relievers.  Add an inning of work each time, or go by number of pitches, I don't care, but ramp it up.  All I know is that by the end of ST these guys were getting hammered regularly and it hasn't stopped in the regular season against our biggest contender for the cellar of the division.

I don't know who our pitching coach is or his assistant but we have been very deficient in pitcher preparation for the past few years.  Something is really amiss with our weakness in pitcher development, especially when I see how Cleveland and Tampa Bay have become pitching colleges in their development of their men on the mound.  In contrast Ted we stink in that category.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 03, 2023, 05:51:36 PM
Quote from: longgame on April 03, 2023, 08:14:07 AM

I don't know who our pitching coach is or his assistant but we have been very deficient in pitcher preparation for the past few years.  Something is really amiss with our weakness in pitcher development, especially when I see how Cleveland and Tampa Bay have become pitching colleges in their development of their men on the mound.  In contrast Ted we stink in that category.
Our old pitching Coach, Carl Willis, is pitching coach for Cleveland. He's got an assistant pitching coach. Our pitching coach, Dave Bush, does not have an assistant pitching coach according to MLB's Red Sox site. We list a hitting coach and 2 assistant hitting coaches, but only the one pitching coach.

Anyhow, Year #4 for Bush. Bottom or near bottom team ERA's 2 of 3 seasons. Same, of course, for the Bloom tenure.

elktonnick

Red Sox pitching strategy tactics and philosophy is all screwed up.  They still have not drafted and developed a pitcher since Duquette was GM. That is 20 years according to my caculations

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on April 04, 2023, 07:31:15 AM
Red Sox pitching strategy tactics and philosophy is all screwed up.  They still have not drafted and developed a pitcher since Duquette was GM. That is 20 years according to my caculations

Bello is one.  That may be the only one. 

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on April 04, 2023, 07:41:53 AM

Jon Lester in 2002. Had to look it up to be sure. I had totally forgotten we had an interim GM named Mike Port who was sort of in charge when Lester was drafter. Clay Bucholz, too, though he was sort of all over the place if the list is to only include good Starters. Pretty darned small list.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on April 04, 2023, 07:41:53 AM

Let's not count the chickens before they hatch