7. Jorge Mateo (R) SS
8. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
9. Ryan McKenna (R) LF

Gametime Temp: 63°F
Chance of Precip: 9%

markj

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on March 31, 2023, 02:11:01 PM
April Fool's Day game. With everything that implies.

And we have to endure markj because we can do nothing about it except to simply shut it down and say to hell with it.  But as Red Sox fans we cannot, can we?

Sea Dog 23

Sale pitching today.  Can he pitch beyond April?  I have a feeling that this season will rely heavily on the young guys Whitlock, Bello, and Kutter.  Also whatever Pivetta can provide, he seems the most healthy of them all.

But the young guys have proven they can only go 3-4 innings.  Like last year, our bullpen could be gassed by the ASB.

Sea Dog 23

Lots of rain in Boston right now (1 PM), a soaker.  The rain will lessen around game time, looks better at 5PM.  They very well could delay it about an hour.

Arroyo apparently escaped injury on Thurs and is starting today at 2B.  Rotschman jumping off the top rope and delivering a Wahoo McDaniel grade soufle' did not look good for Christian.

Sea Dog 23

Well, I was expecting the Sale of old today.  We did get old Sale as he was punched up for two homers and a 
3-0 O's lead in the first.  Only 19 pitches.

Sea Dog 23

Sale gets out of jam in the 2nd with two on.  He gets Rutschman out after he got 6 hits in his first 6 at bats this series. Sale 5 Ks , no walks.

In the Sox 2nd, Duvall triples then scores on a wild pitch.  3-1.

Sea Dog 23

At this rate Sox will need 10 runs a game with our sucky pitching.  We got a 'dugo homer and Duvall homer to get 4 back.     
  Now 7-5

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 01, 2023, 04:20:50 PM
At this rate Sox will need 10 runs a game with our sucky pitching.  We got a 'dugo homer and Duvall homer to get 4 back.     
  Now 7-5

It’s a good thing they can hit as they certainly can’t pitch.  Heart of the lineup with a chance in the 9th, let’s see.

longgame

elktonnick

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 01, 2023, 06:20:50 PM
This is the only way this team can win, ugly

I didn't expect much today and tuned in the MLB Channel just as Justin Turner hit a routine second out grounder to the shortstop.  Then the LF dropped Yoshida's fly ball and we got another chance.  Good Lord, did I really see Adam Duvall go out of the yard????????  I was so surprised I didn't say anything and just changed the channel.  Perhaps I was just shocked.  Now if we could only throw runners out trying to steal bases, pitchers who can get batter out, and fielders who can make the plays in the field. Maybe then we might have a chance to win this series tomorrow.

MongoLikeSox

Both of the Orioles' left fielders looked awful so far. I figured Kike was amidst a massive slump when McKenna made that diving catch on him in the middle of all that stutter-stepping he did the rest of the day. I'm glad he got a HR the next time up.

Good for Duvall! Good for the Sox fans! It's been a rough 18 months.

I see Henry brought some Hockey arena light tricks to Fenway for walk offs. Kind of neat, I guess. Not sure it's needed for the natural frenzy of a come from behind walk-off, but it was neat.

Sea Dog 23

I don't know about the pitchers.  Either they were not worked long enough in Spring training, or the Orioles' scouts did a good job of preparing for Kluber and Sale.  As they were blasting about every pitch thrown, especially in innings 3 and 4.  I saw one observation that Sale might have been tipping his pitches.

But it's cold in Boston, I think 43 degrees on Sunday.  It will take awhile for our older pitchers to get in the groove this early.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 02, 2023, 10:34:38 AM
I don't know about the pitchers.  Either they were not worked long enough in Spring training, or the Orioles' scouts did a good job of preparing for Kluber and Sale.  As they were blasting about every pitch thrown, especially in innings 3 and 4.  I saw one observation that Sale might have been tipping his pitches.

But it's cold in Boston, I think 43 degrees on Sunday.  It will take awhile for our older pitchers to get in the groove this early.
The Red Sox strategy for prepping starting pitchers to start seasons should be imploded. It seems like it's a regular occurrence.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest the Orioles have picked something up on Sale, Maybe some of the other Sox when Sale is pitching. XB used to take walks after reading the signs. Now some of the infielders have pitch-com. I'm more inclined to agree with the weather and poor ST prep strategy. Especially weather. He was far from being the only pitcher leaving pitches out over the plate. Duvall might not see that many hangers for the rest of the month.