Diaz of Mets gone

Started by Sea Dog 23, March 17, 2023, 06:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

There is so much hype for the players around the WBC.  Well the dreadful call was received by the Mets, that their ace closer Edwin Diaz screwed up his knee doing a dance at the end of the Dominican game.  Gone for the year.  It is ironic that they have called their old washed up reliever, Familia.  The Sox got their fill of Familia and his garbage last year.

Sea Dog 23

Add Houston's Jose Altuve (Team Venezuela) to the casualties at the WBC.  Daniel Bard (USA)threw a 96 mph fastball that resulted in the fracture of Altuve's right hand.  That is a jolt to the Astros, he was inspired to be playing for his country, but there are circustances.

longgame

These games have been great though.  Trea Turner with a Grand Slam to put the US ahead was an amazing moment and the PR vs DR game a few days ago had postseason intensity.

Plenty of guys get hurt in Spring Training too, Sox pitchers drop like flies at this time of year.  But that Diaz injury was brutal, strike out 3, get the save, and get hurt celebrating the win.

SeaBeachFred

Diaz and Altuve have been severe injuries for their teams to endure and this is one reason I look at the WBC with a shifty eye from time to time.  We have a new Japanese outfielder reputed to be a very good hitter doing well for his home country and I am keeping my fingers crossed he endures this Classic and returns to us healthy and ready to hammer away.

longgame

Like I said, guys get hurt in ST all the time too.  I think it helps position players a lot actually.  Think about it, our regulars get an at bat or two every couple of days.  These guys are playing regular competitive ball every day for a week and a half.  They'll all be far more ready than their counterparts.  Pitchers are trickier as they take longer to ramp up though. 

elktonnick

The WBC is great for Baseball. The ethusiasm for these games has been impressive.  Mlb and the players association have to get behind this event in a bigger way.  This should be baseball"s equivalent to the world cup in soccer. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on March 20, 2023, 08:54:50 AM
The WBC is great for Baseball. The ethusiasm for these games has been impressive.  Mlb and the players association have to get behind this event in a bigger way.  This should be baseball"s equivalent to the world cup in soccer.

It seems to have not missed a beat after not having one the last time around, maybe even better as most teams have a good number of MLB and MiLB guys.  I love it, especially after last year and this may be the only winning team I can cheer for this year.