Where did everyone go?

Started by elktonnick, March 15, 2023, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

They'll need that pop.  The Orioles are pounding Sale who gave up 9 hits, 6ER, 2 HRs in 4 IP.

Sea Dog 23

From the bits and bites of information coming in on the Sox - there ain't much - it looks like Tapia and Ort have made the final roster cuts and have made the team.  Gone to AAA are Dalbec, Duran and Alfaro.  I thought sending Alfaro down would give him an out option to explore other rosters. 

This pretty much says there are were no meaningful trades this spring, and any late changes will be internal - like adding another BP guy like Sherriff (LH) to shore up the pen with those going on IL.  You guys probably know more than what the Boston press has up today.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 29, 2023, 07:55:44 AM
From the bits and bites of information coming in on the Sox - there ain't much - it looks like Tapia and Ort have made the final roster cuts and have made the team.  Gone to AAA are Dalbec, Duran and Alfaro.  I thought sending Alfaro down would give him an out option to explore other rosters. 

This pretty much says there are were no meaningful trades this spring, and any late changes will be internal - like adding another BP guy like Sherriff (LH) to shore up the pen with those going on IL.  You guys probably know more than what the Boston press has up today.
Nobody wanted Alfaro, despite the bat. He even cleared Waivers. Renewed emphasis on catcher defense due to the prospects of base stealing becoming a thing again.

Tapia, Goodrum and Allen all had various stipulations for making the roster or being free to opt out. They still do, too, to some extent. I forget the particulars, but they are all different, and some have multiple dates in which they can opt out.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on March 29, 2023, 07:55:44 AM

Tapia might be a decent defensive replacement as an outfielder but little else.  His hitting is suspect and he doesn't look like he can be much else for us..  As for Ort, someone loves the guy because this guy is total crap personified.

Pumpsie Green

Helluva team we have this year. I think that maybe 65 wins tops. If its not competitive next year its time to clean house and for Henry to sell the team.

longgame

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on April 13, 2023, 10:53:11 AM
Helluva team we have this year. I think that maybe 65 wins tops. If its not competitive next year its time to clean house and for Henry to sell the team.

Someone needs to play "Major League" for them.  We just need Wild Thing!

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on April 13, 2023, 10:55:46 AM

Someone needs to play "Major League" for them.  We just need Wild Thing!
We actually have him in Worcester. I saw it myself on NESN2. Bryan Mata hit 4 batters in the span of 5 ABs. 

SeaBeachFred

That would be too late Pumpsie.  I have insisted since the end of last season that no progress can be made until Manager Alex the Cheater Cora and usless BO Director Jaime Bloom are fired and it must be done before we get swept by both TB and the Angels this weekend..  Nothing positive can come from our team's hope for the future until these two bums are cashiered.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 13, 2023, 12:03:19 PM

That would be too late Pumpsie.  I have insisted since the end of last season that no progress can be made until Manager Alex the Cheater Cora and usless BO Director Jaime Bloom are fired and it must be done before we get swept by both TB and the Angels this weekend..  Nothing positive can come from our team's hope for the future until these two bums are cashiered.

Agree with that, Fred.  Bloom must not be allowed to conduct another draft this year or take part in any July deadline trades like the salary dump he did last year.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 13, 2023, 02:47:34 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 13, 2023, 12:03:19 PM

Agree with that, Fred.  Bloom must not be allowed to conduct another draft this year or take part in any July deadline trades like the salary dump he did last year.
Folks, I agree with that. I've been dreading this years' deadline for a few weeks now.

zenjak

Hello all. It's been a long time since I've logged in. Not a lack of interest, just so many things in life (no disasters). Per my better half's and kids' requests, I'm in a job where I don't travel (still long hours at a plant that runs 24/7), so I don't get to see live baseball coast-to-coast anymore. But that's better than me coming home only to have the family ask when I'm leaving again.

So, I'll try to be around more.

MongoLikeSox

Welcome back! It's amazing what a job switch from a family-invasive job to a more family-friendly job can do for home life. Enjoy!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: zenjak on April 30, 2023, 02:23:13 AM
Hello all. It's been a long time since I've logged in. Not a lack of interest, just so many things in life (no disasters). Per my better half's and kids' requests, I'm in a job where I don't travel (still long hours at a plant that runs 24/7), so I don't get to see live baseball coast-to-coast anymore. But that's better than me coming home only to have the family ask when I'm leaving again.

So, I'll try to be around more.

I wondered what happened to you Zen.  Good to have you back and try and keep up with us.  Still remember the game we took in together in San Diego about 20 years ago.  Glad all is well.