Main Menu

Story

Started by longgame, February 15, 2023, 09:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

It's said he'll be out best case for half a year, worst case he misses the season.  Given the current state of the Sox, I'm penciling in he loses the season.  I really don't know what they'll do when the infield backups they have are all injured by May. 

MongoLikeSox

I don't think the muddle infield is decided. Too close to ST for Andrus and Iglesias to be unsigned. I'm betting at least one of them knows where he's going, but has to wait for the official day that teams can x-fer a player to the 60-day IL to create an opening on the 40-man Roster. I don't know when that is. I think it's sometime soon after pitchers and catchers report, but I can't find that anywhere.

Boras could have Andrus waiting out the market for someone to get hurt in the World Baseball Classic. Even without the Classic, it's certainly in his wheelhouse to wait until ST starts like he did with JDM and the Red Sox back so long ago.

The actual 60-day clock begins on opening day, of course. Anyone not expecting to be back by the beginning of June could be put on it. I think Story is the only one so far.

Sea Dog 23

Merloni was reporting from camp Wednesday,

"Yoshida is not a “slap” hitter.  He was launching bombs."

"Raphela wasdrawing  attention with his bat."

Bello returned Monday anda Tuesday, pitching off flat ground.

Pivetta’s ailment was Covid.  It really slowed him down this week, and he declined to pitch in the WBC for Canada. They probably preferred him to stay away.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on February 22, 2023, 06:17:01 PM
Merloni was reporting from camp Wednesday,

"Yoshida is not a slap hitter.  He was launching bombs."

I hope this is not a sign of a change of approach. We signed him for top level hitting, not to be a .250, 18HR guy.

elktonnick

I lot of guys hit bombs in spring training the first few days when every one is throwing lollipops. Remember Franchy Codero and Willy Joe Pena.

Sea Dog 23

First game up tomorrow vs Northeastern,  at Braves Saturday,
Rays at Fort Myers Sunday,

Friday lineup
Duran CF
Devers 3B
Hernández SS
Yoshida LF
Verdugo RF
Alfaro DH
Casas 1B
Valdez 2B
Scott C
Mosquida P (NRI)

Sea Dog 23

Sox vs Braves Saturday and pitching another NRI, LH Matt Dermody.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on February 23, 2023, 10:20:43 AM
I lot of guys hit bombs in spring training the first few days when every one is throwing lollipops. Remember Franchy Codero and Willy Joe Pena.

I remember them and the very thought of them sickens me almost as much as Jackie Bradley did and you all know how much I couldn't stand that guy at the plate.  Still they have a few of their ilk on this year's team in case some of you missed it so far.

Sea Dog 23

Braves today at 1:05

If I heard it right, other than Arroyo, all bench players and AA and AAA in the lineup.  I don't quite understand not getting some reps for some of the new regulars against MLB pitching.  They will be departing for the WBC in about a week to ten days.

1. LF Greg Allen

2. 2B Christian Arroyo

3. CF Raimel Tapia

4. RF Rob Refsnyder

5. 1B Bobby Dalbec

6. DH Narciso Crook

7. C Caleb Hamilton

8. 3B Matthew Lugo

9. SS David Hamilton

Red Sox pitchers: LHP Matt Dermody, LHP Richard Bleier, RHP Kaleb Ort, RHP Wyatt Mills, LHP Ryan Sherriff, RHP Jake Faria, RHP Norwith Gudiño

longgame

Typical not to bring regulars on the road, especially this early in ST. 

Nice performance so far, will be fun to see them close out a game if they do.  Dalbec had a nice start.  Kaleb Ort not so much.  Nice 8th inning rally to get ahead.

Sea Dog 23

Somebody named Joey Stock surrendered a 3 run lead in the 9th.  He gave 3hits and 3 BB to record one out.  Kwiatkowski preserved the tie game. (Good name for relief pitcher)

MongoLikeSox

Way too early to read anything into anything, obviously. It's kind of funny, though, to see a box score with 12K's and no walks.

I've rarely seen ST games over the years, but might tune in a time or two just to see the pitch clock thing in action.

elktonnick

So far the pitch clock has saved more than 25 minutes per game.

longgame

Stock gave up 3 hits, 3 walks and 3 runs in a third.  I was thinking one of the Northeastern kids stuck around.  This guy couldn’t find the plate.  Then Kiwaitkowski comes in and shuts them down. 

Nice pace to the game though.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on February 25, 2023, 06:27:52 PM
Stock gave up 3 hits, 3 walks and 3 runs in a third.  I was thinking one of the Northeastern kids stuck around.  This guy couldn’t find the plate.  Then Kiwaitkowski comes in and shuts them down. 

Nice pace to the game though.

Ted---I know wins and losses don't matter much at all in Spring Training but there are exceptions.  Today was one of them.  A team as shitty as the Red Sox have become CANNOT afford to lose games like this by blowing a three run lead in the ninth inning in their first real Grapefruit League game.  What's more it looked like this bum Stock had no movement on his fastball and got behind hitters and couldn't find the plate.  One more shitty outing by him and he needs to be sent to the lower "A" Ball and not show his face again in a Red Sox uniform.  My wife can vouch that when this bum came in I told her there goes the lead and the game.  I then nearly threw up my spaghetti lunch.