GAME #20, SATURDAY, APRIL 21, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Started by Bear, April 21, 2018, 04:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Quote from: markj on April 21, 2018, 09:51:21 PM
How does a team that's produced so many runs lately get no hit? Is Manaea that good?

he's OK.   But something's working out tonight.....I guess it's an honorable way to finally put an end to a W streak.  If you're gonna beat the Sox you mind as well no hit them
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

markj

Manaea did it. No hit the hottest team in baseball. First time the Sox have been no-hit in 25 years.

Kudos to Manaea. Incredible performance.

Bear

BoSoxFanNY

Didn't realize that the Sox had not been no-hit in 25 years.
Tip your cap to this pitcher.

Chris Sale does not have the best luck with the Sox -
he gives up 3 runs and gets the loss.
Last night Pomeranz gives up 3 runs in the bottom of the first
inning and the Sox score 3 runs in the top of the second inning
and go on to win.

Just don't expect to lose on a Sale Day.

markj

Sox just can't produce offense when Sale is on the mound. Very strange.

wpete

Sucky night. Watched the Bruins play like crap for the first half of their game and the Sox get no hit for the first time since 93. sigh

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 21, 2018, 10:29:07 PM
Sox just can't produce offense when Sale is on the mound. Very strange.

Very very strange indeed, and the Red Sox had better wake the hell up when Chris goes out to the mound the next time and then the next and the next.  Talk about lack of support, he got NONE!!!!!!!!!  OTOH, you have to give Manaea full credit for a terrific game that he pitched.  He stopped us cold and deserves all the  kudos we can give him.  In other seasons of recent vintage, this loss would propel the team into a real funk, but we came back from that disastrous season opener and then won nine in a row, and lost one game to the Yankees and went on another streak.  I have to feel that our team will rally and come back and play some good baseball the next week or so.  Don't make me look like a fool guys.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 21, 2018, 10:24:08 PM
Manaea did it. No hit the hottest team in baseball. First time the Sox have been no-hit in 25 years.

Well what can you do markj?  The guy was on his game tonight and we weren't.  As Kevin Millar is fond of saying....IT'S BASEBALL and sometimes things just don't break your way.  We need to come back tomorrow and right the ship in the direction we want to steer it in.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 21, 2018, 10:51:14 PM
Quote from: markj on April 21, 2018, 10:24:08 PM

Well what can you do markj?  The guy was on his game tonight and we weren't.  As Kevin Millar is fond of saying....IT'S BASEBALL and sometimes things just don't break your way.  We need to come back tomorrow and right the ship in the direction we want to steer it in.
B I N G O  dat .....  Woke up in the 7th inning, couldn't believe my eyes, at first I thought two things, 1/The DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, 2/THE INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS !!! I mean, how does the OAKLAND A's  "NO NO" our beloved RED SOX ??? We need to call for an investigation to who caused this attack on RED SOX NATION..... After falling back to sleep, I can say that this BASEBALL season is going to be like no others that we have all witnessed since we were KIDS.... That said, "THIS IS BASEBALL" !! Stuff HAPPENS !!!   Back at it today at 4:05..... Go SOX !!! thumb_u

Rob from Mass

Not much to say when a pitcher is hot like Manaea was.Outstanding pitched game.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 22, 2018, 06:36:01 AM
One thing it shows, is that GOOD THINGS HAPPEN when a pitcher controls the game by speeding up the catch & delivery between pitches, yes the PITCHER can control the TEMPO !!! thumb_u

longgame

Maneaea really pitched a heck of a game.  He was hitting on the corners all night and getting swings on some deceptive offspeed stuff.  Jonny Gomes may be terrible to listen to, but the substance of what he was saying was right on.  While I hate it a lot of times when they say it, you have to "tip your cap" to the guy.  Plus friendly scoring and umpiring didn't hurt. 

The one thing I'd want to do though if I were being no-hit through the second time through the lineup would be to start laying off some of those pitches and trying to get the guy to get a little deeper in counts if for no other reason that if you can chase him in the 7th or 8th you can get to someone you can hit.  The Sox ability to work pitch counts in the past probably accounts for them not being no-hit the last 25 years. 

On the scoring, the drop in the OF could have gone either way, so I get the home guy calling it an error in that situation, but at this point I sort of wish Beni had taken Olson's arm off on that play he was called out on.  There was a little nubber in front of the plate early in the game, I think it was hit by Chapman.   He ran down the grass when he got up near 1B and Leon had to check about 3 times before he could throw.  They need to start calling that if that's the rule - that will shorten up games immensely since at least half of the baserunners would be out before reaching first. 

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 22, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
One thing it shows, is that GOOD THINGS HAPPEN when a pitcher controls the game by speeding up the catch & delivery between pitches, yes the PITCHER can control the TEMPO !!! thumb_u

Command and great stuff that day is the key to a great game far more than your catch and throw theory.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 22, 2018, 01:41:34 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on April 22, 2018, 08:50:03 AM

Command and great stuff that day is the key to a great game far more than your catch and throw theory.
Sorry, do not concur... The TEMPO made the stuff/command look good !!