GAME #114, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Bear, August 09, 2017, 01:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V RAYS

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 9, 2017, 7 PM AT TROPICANA FIELD

TV:  NESN, ESPN (OUT-OF-MARKET ONLY), FOX SPORTS SUN

BOSTON, (64-49)........................................................................................TAMPA, (58-56)

BOSTON:

RICK PORCELLO, RHP, 5-14, 4.70 ERA, 132k

The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner will welcome a return to Tropicana
Field.  He had his strongest outing of '17 there July 8, allowing one run on six
hits while striking out seven in a season-high eight innings.  However, he took
the loss.

TAMPA:

JAKE ODOROZZI, RHP, 6-4, 4.47 ERA, 82K

Odorozzi has been on the disabled list with a lower back strain since July 16
(retroactive to July 25).  He started Friday night for Class A Charlotte and allowed
two runs on three hits and no walks while striking out six in three innings vs.
Dunedin.

Odorizzi aims to end Sox's 7-game winning streak

J. Scott Butherus

After watching his team claw its way into postseason contention, Rays starter Jake Odorizzi is ready to jump back into the rotation. Odorizzi will be back from the 10-day disabled list just in time to face the American League East-leading Boston Red Sox on Wednesday.

"I just wanted to get back out there, period. It didn't matter who was the team," said Odorizzi, who was sidelined with a lower back strain. "So it was a slow 10 days, really, because I could have pitched. But it made it worse to sit here and watch. But it was the smart thing to do and I'm glad we took the time on the front end and I feel really good now."

The Rays, who are tied with Kansas City for the second AL Wild Card spot, could use the boost after losing right-hander Alex Cobb (turf toe) to the 10-day DL.

Red Sox manager John Farrell pointed to the Rays' relievers, however, as one of the biggest factors for Tampa Bay to be able close the gap in the AL East. After adding righties Steve Cishek and Sergio Romo, and lefty Dan Jennings to the bullpen at the non-waiver Trade Deadline, Tampa Bay's relief corps has allowed just four earned runs in 22 2/3 innings in August.

"They've revamped the bullpen to give it a much different look to be able to match up," said Farrell, whose club is riding a seven-game winning streak. "This is a good team."

Boston will send reigning AL Cy Young award winner Rick Porcello to the mound to finish off the two-game set at Tropicana Field. Porcello (5-14, 4.70 ERA) has had trouble consistently replicating his 2016 success, but he has also been the victim of poor run support as of late. In each of his last four losses, the veteran righty pitched at least six innings while giving up less than four earned runs.

One of those losses was a one-run complete game against the Rays on July 8 in which he struck out seven and walked none.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• In the month of August, the Red Sox have averaged 2.18 home runs per game, the most in the Majors, and are third in team batting average (.291) and second in slugging percentage (.553).

• Over his nine starts in June and July, prior to going on the DL, Odorizzi's 58.9-percent strike rate was fifth lowest among pitchers with at least 750 pitches over that span. He allowed a barrel -- the most dangerous form of contact -- on 10.4 percent of batted balls against him, third-highest during that time (minimum 100 batted balls).

• In his last five starts, Porcello has a 3.67 ERA with 30 strikeouts and just four walks in 34 innings, but he has just one win to show for it during that stretch.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170809247216600/odorizzi-aims-to-end-soxs-7-game-winning-streak/?game_pk=491792

Bear

SOX LINEUP:

NUNEZ, 3B
BENINTENDI, LF
BETTS, RF
RAMIREZ, DH
MORELAND, 1B
BOGAERTS, SS
HOLT, 2B
LEON, C
BRADLEY, CF

PORCELLO

Bill-806

I am OK with this lineup, the 20 y/o Dever needs a breather.....  Yank$ coming up on Friday !!

Rob from Mass

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 09, 2017, 02:47:28 PM
I am OK with this lineup, the 20 y/o Dever needs a breather.....  Yank$ coming up on Friday !!

9 days into August and Devers gets his 3rd day without playing .Sorry for a 20-year old I don`t get it. He just had a day off Monday.
I can just imagine what players from the 60-70-80 think of the way young pups today get pampered.

Bill-806

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 09, 2017, 04:29:55 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on August 09, 2017, 02:47:28 PM

9 days into August and Devers gets his 3rd day without playing .Sorry for a 20-year old I don`t get it. He just had a day off Monday.
I can just imagine what players from the 60-70-80 think of the way young pups today get pampered.
  J F  is just keeping all the "STICKS" in the game.... Big QUESTION for Friday is Pedey !!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl

Rob from Mass

The Bigger question for Pedey is the next 4 years of nagging and new injuries as he tries to play to age 37.

MongoLikeSox

In-credible!!!!  JF took his team out of double play possibility. UFB!!!  Even if XB hd not spaced it, imagine that turn with the ball coming from 3rd? Nice shift!!!

markj

They did it again. Man on 3rd with 1 out and they come up empty.

markj

markj

markj

Need more runs here. Bases full and no outs. No excuse for not upping the score.

markj

Hate to see Odorozzi get hit and I hope he's ok, but at least the Sox are taking advantage of the early bullpen appearance. Two runs in on a passed ball and a wild pitch.

markj

HR gets nailed trying to get home, but the runners all advance. Still sort of sad that these are gift runs. It'd be nice if the Sox would earn a few.

markj

There we go. That's better. Two more in on a Leon base hit.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on August 09, 2017, 07:49:20 PM
HR gets nailed trying to get home, but the runners all advance. Still sort of sad that these are gift runs. It'd be nice if the Sox would earn a few.

Whether they are gifts or not the Sox still needed to get on base to get those gifts. If you can put pressure on the other team usually good things will happen.