GAME #112, CHICAGO WHITE SOX AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 06, 2017, 12:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ojdidit

When did Fister morph into Sale and Sale into Fister?

markj

Good game. Nice sweep, as hoped. Yanks won, so no ground gained. But 6 wins in a row again is nice to see.

Bill-806

As  DAD would say,   "SON, how do ya like OUR RED SOX now" ??    6 in a ROW !! thumb_u iono rofl

BoSoxFanNY

Red Sox SWEEP the White Sox!

Red Sox are on a 6 game winning streak!

SO - question - since we always bash John Farrell
for losing games.  Does he get the credit for the 6 game winning streak?
Does he get credit for the bullpen pitching well?
Does he get credit for the home runs the Sox have been hitting?

I AM kidding a bit - but, still.

(Red Sox are playing with with no Price & Pedroia.)
Have to like the ways the bats are doing!

markj

Keep in mind the White Sox are not a great team this year. Sox should be winning these low-hanging fruit games. I was more impressed that they beat Cleveland twice.

ojdidit

Quote from: markj on August 06, 2017, 03:51:35 PM
Keep in mind the White Sox are not a great team this year. Sox should be winning these low-hanging fruit games. I was more impressed that they beat Cleveland twice.

I always look at it like a football trap game (series). Sometimes our Red Sox lower themselves to their opponents ability. You are right about Cleveland.  And give NYY credit - they split in Cleveland.

ipot

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on August 06, 2017, 03:31:27 PM
Red Sox SWEEP the White Sox!

Red Sox are on a 6 game winning streak!

SO - question - since we always bash John Farrell
for losing games.  Does he get the credit for the 6 game winning streak?
Does he get credit for the bullpen pitching well?
Does he get credit for the home runs the Sox have been hitting?

I AM kidding a bit - but, still.

(Red Sox are playing with with no Price & Pedroia.)
Have to like the ways the bats are doing!

Good question about Farrell, bo.  ;)  We have a 6 game winning streak but 4 at the hands of the worst team in the AL, the White Sox. Of course, no easy feat to sweep 4 on any team.

I'd give credit to Dombrowski. Bringing up Devers and getting Nunez has given the team the kind of clutch dramatics that can gel a clubhouse. TB up next. Let's see...
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 06, 2017, 02:34:06 PM
Another decent outing for Fister. Time for the BP to do its job.

Maybe so markj but Fister has this bad habit of  giving multiple runs when he has a bad inning and has done this too many times.  If this had been in July we would have lost this game.  I just don't know if we should take a chance on him against the Yankees.  I would like to have Farrell not try to play hero and  take his chances with this guy against New York.  We have to send our best pitchers against them  this coming up weekend and hold our own against them and win that series.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 06, 2017, 02:34:40 PM
I think Nunez at times tries to do to much (not that he hasn't done great) and he expands the strike zone to much with guys on base. Seems like he doesn't want to walk and ends up swinging at some real crappy pitches. Needs to stay within himself.

The opposing pitchers will find this out very soon if he doesn't stop doing that.  Get a good pitch to hit said  Ted Williams and we know Nunez can hit when he gets his pitch.  He will get them and he must not go fishing.  Wait until October or November to get his fishing rod out.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 06, 2017, 02:50:17 PM
XB with yet another GIDP to end a promising inning. He has a talent for hitting into those.

I'll say it again.  There must be no effort to sign this guy to a long term contract and if some team would like him or we can package him in a big trade for a slugger this winter I would easily put him in the trade package.  Personally, I still think this guy is heading south at a fast pace.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 06, 2017, 03:17:52 PM
Good game. Nice sweep, as hoped. Yanks won, so no ground gained. But 6 wins in a row again is nice to see.

Yes it is.  Now we have to go for seven which I think would tie our best and keep our lead at three at the least.  If we could go 11-4 in our next 15 games it would show all of us that we are really on a roll and not just a short stretch as we did in June before the roof caved in on us.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 06, 2017, 05:11:33 PM
XB with yet another GIDP to end a promising inning. He has a talent for hitting into those.

I'll say it again.  There must be no effort to sign this guy to a long term contract and if some team would like him or we can package him in a big trade for a slugger this winter I would easily put him in the trade package.  Personally, I still think this guy is heading south at a fast pace.
Does not matter, BORAS is his agent !!

ojdidit

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 06, 2017, 05:11:33 PM

Last Red Sox player to lead the league in GIDP? Adrian Gonzalez in 2011. Befor that? Wade Boggs! Boggs hit .366. The record has been kept since 1939 and the Red Sox have captured first place 20 times. Jim Rice led three years in a row.  Jackie Jensen three out of four years.  Ted Williams never. Red Sox are second in the AL - just ahead of Astros and behind the Jays.  Maybe I'll write about it?

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: ojdidit on August 06, 2017, 05:21:56 PM
Last Red Sox player to lead the league in GIDP? Adrian Gonzalez in 2011. Befor that? Wade Boggs! Boggs hit .366. The record has been kept since 1939 and the Red Sox have captured first place 20 times. Jim Rice led three years in a row.  Jackie Jensen three out of four years.  Ted Williams never. Red Sox are second in the AL - just ahead of Astros and behind the Jays.  Maybe I'll write about it?
I had to go look at the stats. I could have sworn pedey had done it, but nope. Second twice.

I was young when I saw Bill Lee, but that is the only thing that came to mind while watching Fister yesterday. A right-handed spaceman. (minus the whacky stuff) You surely remember him better as I was too young. Thoughts? (based purely on last couple of outings to save space)

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on August 07, 2017, 08:47:24 AM
Quote from: ojdidit on August 06, 2017, 05:21:56 PM
I had to go look at the stats. I could have sworn pedey had done it, but nope. Second twice.

I was young when I saw Bill Lee, but that is the only thing that came to mind while watching Fister yesterday. A right-handed spaceman. (minus the whacky stuff) You surely remember him better as I was too young. Thoughts? (based purely on last couple of outings to save space)

Maybe in the way that he seems to flirt with the edge of disaster and can be all over the place.  What was interesting is that a lot of those hits they got against him were just poor defensive coverage or just putting the bat on pitches out of the zone.  In 2004 we saw Derek Lowe face the Atlanta Braves, this was shortly before the Nomar trade.  Lowe gave up a couple of seeing-eye ground balls, an error, a misplay and then he just completely melted down.  Inning last forever and Lowe never recovered in that game, so good for Fister to stay in it.