GAME #109. CHICAGO WHITE SOX AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, August 03, 2017, 12:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

WHITE SOX V RED SOX

THURSDAY, AUGUST 3, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, CSN-C

CHICAGO, (41-64)....................................................................................BOSTON, (59-49)

CHICAGO:

MIGUEL GONZALEZ, RHP, 5-9, 4.59 ERA, 57K

Gonzalez will be drawing against August trade buzz, as he's posted three
consecutive quality starts since coming off the DL after the AS break with A/C
joint inflammation in his throwing shoulder.

BOSTON:

RICK PORCELLO, RHP, 4-14, 4.55 ERA, 136K

The AL CY Young Award winner's up-and-down continued in his last start.
Porcello gave up four runs, including two homers in seven innings against the
Royals in his MLB-leading 14th loss.  The right-hander has given up 25 homers.

Gonzalez, Porcello tabbed as Sox battle in opener

Fabian Ardaya

A lot has changed since Dec. 6, 2016 -- the day the White Sox shipped Chris Sale to the Red Sox in exchange for a package highlighted by top prospect Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech, the game's No 12 prospect, according to MLBPipeline.com.

The two teams will square off for the second series since the deal when they start a four-game set at Fenway Park on Thursday, when Chicago right-hander Miguel Gonzalez takes on Boston's Rick Porcello. Porcello was to have started Wednesday's game against the Indians but the game was postponed due to rain.

Sale's day against his former club -- the second time he's faced them -- is slated for Sunday, but Moncada has never played against his former club. The second baseman appeared in eight games with Boston in 2016, making his Major League debut and going 4-for-19. He's appeared in 12 games since making his White Sox debut on July 19, going 4-for-38 with a homer and six RBIs.

Moncada's status for Thursday's opener is uncertain, as he is listed as day to day with a right knee contusion after colliding with teammate Willy Garcia in the sixth inning of Monday's 7-6 win over Toronto. He wasn't in the lineup on Tuesday and Wednesday, though he could become available when the club travels to Boston.

"I just thought it was something more serious," Moncada said of his injury. "I didn't think anything specific, but I thought it was more serious. But once the doctor gave me the X-ray and they told me it was nothing serious, I was really relieved."

White Sox manager Rick Renteria expressed caution in how Moncada will be used as he returns from injury, saying he will see how the 22-year-old feels Thursday morning before making a decision to put him in the lineup.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• In addition to Moncada, the White Sox also have injury concerns over third baseman/designated hitter Matt Davidson. Davidson, who has a team-best 22 homers this season and put together back-to-back walk-off hits on Sunday and Monday, was hit by a pitch in Tuesday's 8-4 loss to Toronto and was held out of the lineup on Wednesday with a right wrist contusion.

"Matty is day to day," Renteria said. "He was a little sore this morning."

• Gonzalez, who is in the midst of three consecutive quality starts, has gone 6-1 with a 3.09 ERA in 13 appearances (11 starts) against Boston in his career. This will be Rodriguez's second career start against the White Sox; he went six innings and allowed four runs (three earned) while taking a no-decision in his first start against them last season.

• Among nearly 100 pitchers who have ended at least 75 at-bats on pitches in the upper third of the strike zone or up and out of the zone, Gonzalez's .333 batting average allowed (28-for-84) is tied for third highest. Opponents are slugging .571 against Gonzalez on those pitches.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170802245996974/gonzalez-porcello-tabbed-as-sox-battle-in-opener/?game_pk=491712

Bear

Red Sox vs. CHW:

Betts RF,
Benintendi LF,
Nuñez 2B,
Ramirez DH,
Devers 3B,
Bogaerts SS,
Moreland 1B,
Vazquez C,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Porcello RHP

Bill-806

Soory that we got rained out, just maybe the night off was beneficial ??  Oh yes, the  YANK$  got beat !! thumb_u rofl

ipot

Gotta take advantage of the lousy CWS.  Mustn't play down to their level.  These should be Ws.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Rob from Mass

Interesting seeing that Sale won`t pitch until Tuesday against the Rays.
Giving him 2 days extra rest.

Schloicka

Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 03, 2017, 11:49:14 AM

Not really that interesting since they are just following the rotation. They got rained out on Wednesday so that pushed everyone back 1 day and they don't play on Monday so that pushes everyone back another day.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on August 03, 2017, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on August 03, 2017, 11:49:14 AM

Not really that interesting since they are just following the rotation. They got rained out on Wednesday so that pushed everyone back 1 day and they don't play on Monday so that pushes everyone back another day.
  B I N G O  dat !!!   As  DAD would say,   "SON, do the math"  !!! iono rofl

Bill-806

GO SOX,   make us proud !!! thumb_u rofl

markj

Wow, great start. 4-0 already and only 1 out.

Rob from Mass

Devers is a pure beast with the bat.Some wanted a block buster trade at the deadline for a bat.We now know why DD stayed his course.

markj

Porcello can't stand to have an early lead. Doing his best to keep the game close.

Schloicka

Wild pitch cost them a run as well as the walk. Could of been only a 1 run inning without the passed ball.

elktonnick

One of my biggest peeves is leadoff walks. Walking the leadoff man after your team has given you a 4 run lead is inexcusable.

Schloicka

Nunez had a chance to walk and swung at a ball 4 way out of the zone. Ended up popping out. Oh well got 3 out of it anyway. 7-2 Red Sox after 2 innings.

ojdidit

Better get the shower turned on. Porcello will soon need it.