GAME #3, RED SOX AT DETROIT TIGERS

Started by Bear, April 06, 2017, 09:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on April 07, 2017, 04:39:37 PM
Quote from: markj on April 07, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
Losing on a walkoff walk after coming back the previous inning. How gut wrenching. Hope we don't see too many of those this season.  thumb_d thumb_d sigh

What bothered me wad how GOOD Hemnree looked with the 1st 2 batters then totally lost it with the next 2.
Pen needs Thornburg back ASAP.

Rob---Hembree has never to my memory ever pitched two good relief appearances for us in a row.  He and meatball Barnes remind me so much of that miserable bastard Delcarmen we had to endure for almost six seasons that I get sick just thinking of it.  And why did Farrell come in with him when he had Joe Kelly who has proven he can pitch in the eighth inning and is supposed to be our temporary eighth inning man until one of those two maimed butts finally get well and return.  To me Farrell's decision cost us this game, and for God's sake innoculate the team.  We need no more people laid up because of the flu.  Games lost in April are just as important as those lose in September, but before I blow a gasket I will sign off for the day.

ipot

"Free Walks Day" at Comerica Park in Detroit courtesy of the Sox bullpen. 
And 1 freakin' out from getting out of the inning with the lead or tied......
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ojdidit

Hembree is actually one of the bullpen characters who has a slightly respectable career BB/9 (3.0). What makes me seriously question the "wisdom" of DD is allowing Koji to leave and even Tazawa, but especially Koji. Uehara just didn't walk that many (1.4 BB/9 - career) and bring in Thornburg (career 3.7 BB/9). The rest of the staff is a walk magnet and in 2016 were 14th in the AL in BB/9 and that was with Koji and Tazawa lowering that number. This is a poorly constructed bullpen since guys can't toss strikes consistently.

elktonnick

Ric, I think you are right about questioning the wisdom of letting Koji go.

ojdidit

Quote from: elktonnick on April 08, 2017, 07:51:57 AM
Ric, I think you are right about questioning the wisdom of letting Koji go.

I just checked his numbers again.  Koji was really good....maybe even great?  His Boston WHIP was 0.81 and for his career 0.862.  He just doesn't walk many.  His career ERA (2.50) and career FIP (2.75) are virtually identical. Cubs get him for 6M.  The knock is his injury history.  Misses games.  Based on that I wonder how Carson Smith and Tyler Thormburg are working out? Even Kmbrel is a nightmare with his walks.

elktonnick

We still haven't really seen Carson Smith but I and others have our doubts about how well he will bounce back.

Bill-806

Losing on a walkoff walk after coming back the previous inning. How gut wrenching. Hope we don't see too many of those this season.  thumb_d thumb_d sigh

What bothered me wad how GOOD Hemnree looked with the 1st 2 batters then totally lost it with the next 2.
Again, J F left him in too long....Heck we had a 6-5 advantage and it looked like  J F wanted Hembree to "eat innings" instead  of bringing a fresh arm.... It was clear that Hembree ws not the same after the 2nd out !!!   J F cost us that game !!!!!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on April 08, 2017, 12:13:49 PM

Again, J F left him in too long....Heck we had a 6-5 advantage and it looked like  J F wanted Hembree to "eat innings" instead  of bringing a fresh arm.... It was clear that Hembree ws not the same after the 2nd out !!!   J F cost us that game !!!!!

Farrell is going to cost us many games.  Either Dombrowski isn't as smart as some believe he is or he is flunkying for Prune Face's insistence that Farrell be brought back as manager after he left in 2015 to right his illness.  He never should have been brought back and last year's division win which he had nothing to do with will most likely come back to haunt us with this miserable excuse for a manager costing us enough games to sink us this season.  Lovullo should never have been allowed to get away and we will pay for this decision until Farrell's dead ass is finally out of Boston.