5. Yandy Diaz (R) 3B
6. Jordan Luplow (R) 1B
7. Manuel Margot (R) RF
8. Mike Zunino (R) C
9. Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF

Gametime Temp: 85°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Bill-806

E-ROD WITH THE START ....... SURE PROOF THAT WE HAVE GONE TO THE "OPENER" !!!!  NO REASON FOR CORA TO LET HIM GO MORE THAN ONE TIME THRU THE VAUNTED RAYS LINEUP !!!!  B T W , LOOK FOR THE RAYS TO "DIG " IN ON E-ROD SINCE HE HAS NOT HIT A BATTER IN MY YEARS OF WATCHING HIM !!!! GO SOX , SMART BASEBALL WINS GAMES !!! thumb_u thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

JDM on the roster for ALDS.

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/red-sox-2021-alds-roster

Pitchers (13): Ryan Brasier, Austin Davis, Nathan Eovaldi, Tanner Houck, Adam Ottavino, Martín Pérez, Nick Pivetta, Garrett Richards, Hansel Robles, Eduardo Rodriguez, Chris Sale, Josh Taylor, Garrett Whitlock

Catchers (2): Kevin Plawecki, Christian Vázquez

Infielders (5): Christian Arroyo, Xander Bogaerts, Bobby Dalbec, Rafael Devers, Travis Shaw

Outfielders (4): J.D. Martinez, Hunter Renfroe, Kyle Schwarber, Alex Verdugo

Infielder/Outfielders (2): Kiké Hernández, Danny Santana

The only surprise I guess is Santana which is necessitated by Martinez not being able to play the next game or two so they needed an OF off the bench.  Otherwise I think Wong would be a better fit as it also frees up Plawecki for pinch hitting.  Actually I had to re-read this, Meatball Matt did not make the postseason roster. 

Sea Dog 23

Santana would have been an analytical choice for the Yankees game.  He has an unbelievable batting avg when Garrett Cole is pitching

As far as pitching, Davis does nothing for me in high leverage situations.  Alas, we have no other solutions in Worchester to solve our gaps in relief.  However, this is not the regular season, and we've seen that Cora likes to use our starters on their off days coming out of the pen.  They would normally do a bullpen in their off day, so this is nothing different, other than coming into a crucial win or lose situation in a tight game.

SeaBeachFred

This is going to be a tough series for the Red Sox---no doubt about that, but I do not think anyone should write us off.  We played a terrific  game defensively against the Yankees and hit well when needed.  Still, we have to be at our best.  Cora outmanaged Boone again so that helped.  Personally we need to win one of the games in Tampa because coming back to Fenway 0=2 puts in a very precarious position  Still I think we have a chance to win this series.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 07, 2021, 03:36:44 PM
This is going to be a tough series for the Red Sox---no doubt about that, but I do not think anyone should write us off.  We played a terrific  game defensively against the Yankees and hit well when needed.  Still, we have to be at our best.  Cora outmanaged Boone again so that helped.  Personally we need to win one of the games in Tampa because coming back to Fenway 0=2 puts in a very precarious position  Still I think we have a chance to win this series.

Good points.  There's a lot of talk about whether Boone is a postseason manager as he's been outmanaged a few times now, twice by Cora.  Let's face it, we've seen two different teams take the field this year - the first half and the second half and even during the second half it was Jekyll and Hyde.  The bottom line is the Sox are a good team and if they come in prepared and with intensity then they have a great chance.  I won't be crushed if they don't go further like I would be in some other years, but I just want them to play well, no baserunning gaffes, throwing the ball around on defense, walking the first batter, popping up the first pitch.  If they do that they can win.

longgame

I hate to say it but this lineup looks really good without having to force JDM into it. 

MongoLikeSox

I was surprised to see a couple of the names on their instead of Barnes. Must have been some bad side sessions.

Seeing Santana on there is more disappointment than surprise, but I do understand the reasoning.

Quote from: longgame on October 07, 2021, 03:52:25 PM
I hate to say it but this lineup looks really good without having to force JDM into it. 
I was thinking about just that the other day. Sort of a silver lining.

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 07, 2021, 03:36:44 PM
Agreed.
It seems to me like playing the Rays boils down to getting to their SP before Cash can get out there. Small windows like that.
(some positive vibes from the baseball deities were shining on us the other night, too. I'll take it. 2 more feet up the wall and the whole thing changes. Thank goodness for 60F and not 80F)

Bill-806

elktonnick

MongoLikeSox

That crowd is pathetic-small. They need to find that team a better home.

markj

I was thinking it's the biggest crowd I've seen there ever. Which isn't saying much.

markj

MongoLikeSox

LOL - They must have 400 people up in the "Throw the ball at Pedro" Section.

markj