GAME #134 - TUESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, August 31, 2021, 07:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

This team is totally demoralized.  This has been the sloppiness inning of baseball that I have seen a major league team play in years.

markj

I'm surprised the Rays, who have a realistic shot at going deep into the post season, are willing to continue this series with the Sox. If they start losing players like the Sox have, their season could implode.

BoSoxFanNY

WTF with COVID 19 positive players?

WERE they vaccinated?

Talk about a team truly falling apart . . .

AND the Sox are losing 7 - 1

markj

I know Barnes said he was vaxxed. But the vaccine only keeps you from getting really sick from it. You can still become infected and test positive even with the vaccine.

BoSoxFanNY

So, in the beginning of the season IF a team had numerous players testing
positive for COVID, MLB cancelled the games.

Wonder why MLB has not cancelled this series?

markj

If a bunch of Rays suddenly test positive, we may see that change. But cancelling games at this late stage in the season is tough as there is no time to reschedule.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on August 31, 2021, 07:17:39 PM
I’m also trying to figure out why I’m still watching this game as the Sox totally implode.
You made it further than I did. I couldn't watch it. not because of the sloppy play so much for the demoralized thing.

markj

A's are beating the Tiggers. Sox are in danger of losing the WC slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they're out of the race by this weekend.

markj

Sox were in 1st on July 30. Now they're 10 games out. Talk about a major collapse. It'll get worse, too.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 31, 2021, 09:27:21 PM
Sox were in 1st on July 30. Now they're 10 games out. Talk about a major collapse. It'll get worse, too.

There still are a few of the guys putting out 100% but this debacle has ben building up for a couple of months, and, yes, before the trade deadline.  We had guys playing that shouldn't have even been on the team, Cora playing his favorites, and our team playing piss poor defense, a pitching staff afraid to throw strikes and an inconsistent offense.  The current team is just a shell of the  great 2018 club and now it seems that year was now light years away.

Come to think of it has Bloom even gotten us a player this season who isn't worth more than a empty suit.  Now Peacock?  He's been a bum all his career, and Valez and Munoz, Cordero, Gonsales, Garrett, and the list goes on.  We haven't gotten one decent player in trades that shapes up as a future stalwart.  I'm afraid this team is in for a longer spell of futility unless Cora, Bloom and Henry get their collective heads out of their collective asses.  I'm beyond being furious.

Sea Dog 23

The net effect of the loss is now a virtual tie with Oakland for the WC, we do have two games in hand.  But the esprit de corps on this team is gone. From the super spread on the team to the loss of our mainstay fielders, it’s done. My concern is Bloom’s decisions to cut ties with many stars in his rush to the reset.  There is talk he will not resign both Bogey and Devers (a $50 mil+ hit), only one stays??  So what new free agents would really want to cast their lot with Boston after this disappointing season and at what size contract?  Sorry for the rambling.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 31, 2021, 09:46:36 PM
Quote from: markj on August 31, 2021, 09:27:21 PM

There still are a few of the guys putting out 100% but this debacle has ben building up for a couple of months, and, yes, before the trade deadline.  We had guys playing that shouldn't have even been on the team, Cora playing his favorites, and our team playing piss poor defense, a pitching staff afraid to throw strikes and an inconsistent offense.  The current team is just a shell of the  great 2018 club and now it seems that year was now light years away.

Come to think of it has Bloom even gotten us a player this season who isn't worth more than a empty suit.  Now Peacock?  He's been a bum all his career, and Valez and Munoz, Cordero, Gonsales, Garrett, and the list goes on.  We haven't gotten one decent player in trades that shapes up as a future stalwart.  I'm afraid this team is in for a longer spell of futility unless Cora, Bloom and Henry get their collective heads out of their collective asses.  I'm beyond being furious.
Getting tough to watch ..... What a mess !!!! Who's running this team ??? MUST BE SOMEONE FROM THE GOVERNMENT ???? thumb_d iono iono sigh sigh rofl rofl rofl

longgame

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I do know the team has not reached a certain threshold of vaccinated players.  Players would do wise to see what happened to former NFL MVP Cam Newton yesterday if they don't care about their health or their teammates.   This was a team that was sinking and looking for help and the front office threw them an anchor.  Now they're trying to patch the ship after it hit the iceberg.  I'll keep going back to the "moves" Bloom made - from the bad pitchers to a guy who is a good ballplayer but a month later can only play about half the time and screws up the rest of the lineup.  But I have to think that having Bogey in particular out, after already losing two key guys (I really feel bad for Arroyo), had to be a dagger to the heart.  Plus these guys know the slop they're bringing in to fill these now gaping holes. 

Another thing, if they manage to not keep Bogey and Devers as a core of a team going forward, they're going to get crowds like they do in Tampa Bay as people will just be watching laundry at that point.