5. Luis Arraez (L) 2B
6. Ryan Jeffers (R) C
7. Willians Astudillo (R) 3B
8. Nick Gordon (L) CF
9. Andrelton Simmons (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 84°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

longgame

Sale's going.  Means we'll still be in the game when they pull him in the 5th.  Whoopie!

Sea Dog 23

I don’t know what else to say about the Sox today.  Seeing Sales’ name up there gives me hope.  But I don’t recognize any of these Twins pitchers we are struggling with.  All the time knowing they traded their best pitcher and their big slugger at the deadline, and are still eating our lunch.

elktonnick

Chris Sale can not win unless the rest of the team scores some runs.  Christian Vazquez has to put his right hand on his right ear and his left hand on his left ear and pull his head out of his butt!  He has been play brain dead stupid baseball for the past month.  He isn't the only one.  JDM's swing has once again become robotic.  Same swing same speed same angle on every pitch, he has become a sucker for a slider low and away outside of the strike zone. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on August 26, 2021, 11:32:18 AM
Chris Sale can not win unless the rest of the team scores some runs.  Christian Vazquez has to put his right hand on his right ear and his left hand on his left ear and pull his head out of his butt!  He has been play brain dead stupid baseball for the past month.  He isn't the only one.  JDM's swing has once again become robotic.  Same swing same speed same angle on every pitch, he has become a sucker for a slider low and away outside of the strike zone.

I can picture that swing in my head and he's pulling his head away too.  Then there's Bogey who check swings half the time and wonders why he hits weak line drives for easy catches.  Bogey, Devers (I can crush every pitch) and JDM were 1-12 last night. 

longgame

A tweet from yesterday referencing potential lineup tonight:

In theory the Sox should have their peak team tomorrow for the first time. Schwarber plays first, which slides JDM back to DH, which allows Kiké to move back to CF, which opens up 2B for Arroyo. Best lineup and defense. Sale starting. Whitlock rested. Gotta have it.

So basically if they can't win tonight they may as well pack it in. 

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on August 26, 2021, 11:58:00 AM

In theory the Sox should have their peak team tomorrow for the first time. Schwarber plays first, which slides JDM back to DH, which allows Kiké to move back to CF, which opens up 2B for Arroyo. Best lineup and defense. Sale starting. Whitlock rested. Gotta have it.

"VICTORY GOES TO THOSE WHO WANT IT THE MOST, WANT IT THE LONGEST " !!!!!  ( COL. JIMMY DOLITTLE )

markj

Less than 3 hrs to game time and still no lineup. What the hell is wrong with Cora that he can't figure out who's going to play?

longgame

Quote from: markj on August 26, 2021, 03:30:07 PM
Less than 3 hrs to game time and still no lineup. What the hell is wrong with Cora that he can't figure out who's going to play?

An hour later and I'm thinking the same thing Mark.  Especially since it seems obvious to play the lineup I mentioned.  Get this team up to whatever full strength means.

longgame

Just saw this, so the hottest hitter is out. 

Hunter Renfroe is going on the bereavement list. Jarren Duran is being called back up

And this....

Red Sox will have Duran in CF, Martinez in LF, and Verdugo in RF tonight. Schwarber will DH. His 1B debut has been pushed back to the weekend.

So not a strong lineup with JD back in LF and Schwarber still apparently unable to play the field.  They'd at least be better with Schwarber in LF and JD at DH.  How much of a risk is it to go after a few fly balls over 9 innings?

MongoLikeSox

Cora was moving his daughter into school, too. Well, being there for the moment, at least. A few moving pieces today with the team today, too.

Still disgusted with last night. First time this year that the Battleaxe initiated the find the remote control protocol.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 26, 2021, 11:58:00 AM

That's what I said in a final post on Wednesday  If they lose tonight with their best lineup in there they are toast and should start backing up the truck immediately and let Cora on first.  And why not let Plawecki catch.  As much as the front office wants to say it he dies a better job of catching that Vazquez does and he is even hitting better that Christian is, but Cora would never bench him and you all know why.  Let's just hope they can win this series with Sale on the mound tonight, and Chris, how about going six or seven innings so we don't have to see too much of that bullpen of ours.

elktonnick

Fred I can not understand why JD is in left unless Schwerber is hurt.  I also agree about catcher.  Vazquez 's pitch calling and overall ability to block balls have bothered me of late.

markj

markj

Verdugo hangs tough through 8 pitches and finally drives in a run. Sox up 4-0.