GAME #127 - TUESDAY, AUGUST 24, 2021 - MINNESOTA TWINS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, August 24, 2021, 11:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Vaz guns down a runner with a perfect throw. Sox need to hang on here.

markj

Kike gives them some breathing room with a 2-run dinger. Sox up 11-8.

markj

Uh-oh. Meatball Matt is in and gives up a dinger on his second pitch.

markj

Then he walks the next batter on 4 pitches. Cora has to go out and tell him to cowboy up and throw strikes.

markj

elktonnick

Two games in a row Barnes throws the leadoff batter the first two pitches the same pitch in the same spot.  The first pitch is a strike the second pitch is crushed. 

markj

SeaBeachFred

I thought that game would never end, or, worse, end badly for us.  Robles got two quick strikeouts in relief for he now useless meatball but looked like he couldn't find the plate pitching to Jack Cave before he got him on a liner to Arroyo.  Even when we win it's an effort but I'll take it.  Some observations, though.  ONe, Barnes is not our closer anymore Cora.  He is back to being the Meatball.  He seems to have just lost it.  Second, our relievers just can't seem to get the first man they face Sawamura walks his first man, Ottavino gives up a hit and Meatball gives up a bomb.  What the #$#%& is the matter with these guys.  As for one of Cora's pets, Martin Perez should be given his walking papers right now.  The guy has become totally useless.  But a win is a win and we ought to be grateful for what we get.  It also would be nice is Bogaerts and Martinez start hitting big time again.  They have been AWOL for much of August.

One more thing......I don't want to hear Bloom bullshit his way out of giving Hunter Renfroe a new contract. The guy has been a dependable power hitter and run producer for us and I think he and Verdugo must be keepers with Durren when the team finally decides to turn CF over to him.

Bill-806

Another PITCHING DUAL at the FEN'S !!!!!!https://bosoxboard.com/Smileys/default/icon_thumbsdown.gif Looks like the road to the playoffs are not textbook at all !!! thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

When they were up 9-3 I was thinking to myself "well I have some stuff to do, this game should be in hand, but I know no lead is safe".  I did some things upstairs and next thing I know Barnes is standing there with a dumb look in his face whining about a pitch that was way outside after not being able to throw anything in the strike zone.  I'm just happy he didn't do things in the usual order - walk two guys and then give up the meatball.

Guy is toast but Robles actually looked impressive where he hasn't before.  Maybe the adrenaline serves him well because he was really brining it.  Whitlock looks like he could be a good candidate but he's valuable in long relief and high leverage situations.

Sure would be nice to see a well played game by this team though. It's been a while.

Sea Dog 23

Aside from the disasters sitting in the bullpen, IMO the Sox are also suffering from Cora moving people all over the field this year, looking for combinations he still isn't satisfied with.  1B has been a year long experiment in "Who's on First".  Last night in the 1st,  the Sox were confused about what to do in the outfield.  RF Renfroe misplayed a double into a triple.  Then CF Verdugo gets the wrong turn on a deep ball that he should have got to (may have been in a later inning).  Verdugo plays better in LF and RF. 

Of course you have to play Renfroe in RF if Schwarber plays LF, both bats are desparately needed in the lineup.  Kike' should play CF which is a natural position for him.

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 24, 2021, 10:55:38 PM
I thought that game would never end, or, worse, end badly for us.  Robles got two quick strikeouts in relief for he now useless meatball but looked like he couldn't find the plate pitching to Jack Cave before he got him on a liner to Arroyo.  Even when we win it's an effort but I'll take it.  Some observations, though.  ONe, Barnes is not our closer anymore Cora.  He is back to being the Meatball.  He seems to have just lost it.  Second, our relievers just can't seem to get the first man they face Sawamura walks his first man, Ottavino gives up a hit and Meatball gives up a bomb.  What the #$#%& is the matter with these guys.  As for one of Cora's pets, Martin Perez should be given his walking papers right now.  The guy has become totally useless.  But a win is a win and we ought to be grateful for what we get.  It also would be nice is Bogaerts and Martinez start hitting big time again.  They have been AWOL for much of August.

One more thing......I don't want to hear Bloom bullshit his way out of giving Hunter Renfroe a new contract. The guy has been a dependable power hitter and run producer for us and I think he and Verdugo must be keepers with Durren when the team finally decides to turn CF over to him.

Renfroe can't leave unless he is traded or released. He has 2 more arbitration years left. Duran is where he belongs right now. He's not ready to play at the MLB level on offense. Verdugo isn't going anywhere since he can't even become a free agent unless traded or released until 2025.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 25, 2021, 09:56:54 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 24, 2021, 10:55:38 PM

Renfroe can't leave unless he is traded or released. He has 2 more arbitration years left. Duran is where he belongs right now. He's not ready to play at the MLB level on offense. Verdugo isn't going anywhere since he can't even become a free agent unless traded or released until 2025.

Thanks for the update George----I wasn't aware of Renfore's status.  All I did know was that he was given a one year contract by Bloom in his first post season move last fall.  We have Verdugo (whose status I did know) and Renfroe for two positions but what of Schwarber?  Can he play first base next season.  We need to get every good bat we can get in that lineup and if he can that position it would help us next season unt il Casas in fully ready to take over there.  Still we need JD and X to start doing their job on offense because we have our share of problems with defense, base running and our bullpen.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 25, 2021, 08:22:28 AM
Aside from the disasters sitting in the bullpen, IMO the Sox are also suffering from Cora moving people all over the field this year, looking for combinations he still isn't satisfied with.  1B has been a year long experiment in "Who's on First".  Last night in the 1st,  the Sox were confused about what to do in the outfield.  RF Renfroe misplayed a double into a triple.  Then CF Verdugo gets the wrong turn on a deep ball that he should have got to (may have been in a later inning).  Verdugo plays better in LF and RF. 

Of course you have to play Renfroe in RF if Schwarber plays LF, both bats are desparately needed in the lineup.  Kike' should play CF which is a natural position for him.

You have to play Verdugo too, they have 3 corner OF and a CF playing 2B (although Verdugo plays a serviceable CF he's no JBJ but has a better arm than Johnny Damon). 

But I've been saying that they're poorly constructed for a while now.  They are solid at SS, 3B and C.  Everything else you have to check the daily scorecard.  Shaw has a chance to be the every day 1B so they actually have a chance to settle in with Verdugo in CF, Hernandez at 2B and Arroyo as utility and bat off the bench.