GAME #125 - SATURDAY, AUGUST 21, 2021 - TEXAS RANGERS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, August 21, 2021, 09:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Judging from what I'm hearing from friends ted and Elk, what I have said doesn't seem too far fetched as I thought it might be since I sometimes go overboard on things.  The facts as they seem to be shaping up is that our team is poorly constructed, poorly led and no leader in sight.  Notice how Brock Holt struck out in the first inning for Texas and then came back later and got two hits and two RBI's.  Where do our guys who replaced him do that.  It seems when they fail in a crucial situation they just mail it in next time, and Elk's observation that Cora and Bloom are not on the same page isn't surprising to me.  I never understood why Bloom went along with Pruney on bringing Cora back.  A baseball ops head should be allowed to bring in his own man and either Chaim was desperate for the job or he simply didn't know the why s and wherefores of how this team has operated the past couple of years.  Either way it is now one big CLUSTER@$%& of a team.

elktonnick

It is painfully obvious to all of us that the Red Sox lack leadership among their current crop of players.  Bogaerts simply does not have the personality despite the press's best attempts to thrust this role upon him.
  The principle reason that this team doesn't have leadership among its players is Henry's and Bloom's algorithm for building baseball teams simply does not factor intangibles in the equation when drafting or signing free agents.  Since it can not be measured they do not look for it.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on August 22, 2021, 05:32:08 PM
It is painfully obvious to all of us that the Red Sox lack leadership among their current crop of players.  Bogaerts simply does not have the personality despite the press's best attempts to thrust this role upon him.
  The principle reason that this team doesn't have leadership among its players is Henry's and Bloom's algorithm for building baseball teams simply does not factor intangibles in the equation when drafting or signing free agents.  Since it can not be measured they do not look for it.

That last point and the point about Cora having to go around Bloom is telling.  People are so hard to quantify in numbers and the stat geeks like Bloom don’t get that.  If he can put it in a spreadsheet then Henry can understand it too.