5. Nathaniel Lowe (L) 1B
6. Yohel Pozo (R) DH
7. Nick Solak (R) 2B
8. Andy Ibanez (R) LF
9. Jose Trevino (R) C

Gametime Temp: 75°F
Chance of Precip: 2%

markj

It's probably hard to do on short notice, but they should have made this a double-header today since they almost certainly won't be able to play tomorrow's game.

Sea Dog 23

If Sunday is a rainout, I wonder the chances of a reschedule and whatever chances Texas comes up on the schedule again.  It is a game we need to balance our W-L numbers.  Of course we need to be near the WC chances in Sept for that to matter.

As of Friday's games, our two nearest competitors both won last night.  A's are one game better in the loss column, Yanks are two games better.  Of course all that is meaningless if the ship is still off course.

Bill-806

&Mr. POTENTIAL is on the mound tonight ...... Should be good for about 4 innings !!! iono iono sigh rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 21, 2021, 09:22:42 AM
If Sunday is a rainout, I wonder the chances of a reschedule and whatever chances Texas comes up on the schedule again.  It is a game we need to balance our W-L numbers.  Of course we need to be near the WC chances in Sept for that to matter.

As of Friday's games, our two nearest competitors both won last night.  A's are one game better in the loss column, Yanks are two games better.  Of course all that is meaningless if the ship is still off course.

Chris Sale looked like he was going after the Ranger hitters last night in his five inning strong performance and I hoped some of that will rub off on the rest of our starters who still seem content  to nibble their way to failure.  A one game winning streak?  Better than none but we need to go on a run where we win about eight in ten and then repeat that performance a week later.  Otherwise bon voyage in 2021.  A shame too because we looked like a team that just might cross everyone in the league   up even with Cora making one bonehead decision after another and playing his favorites ad nauseum., the FRC!!!!!

markj

E-Rod craters again. Can't even beat the bottom feeder teams now.

MongoLikeSox

We got back home just in time to see the implosion inning unfold. I think Erod checked out after that throwing error.

I feel pretty bad for these guys. Starting to see some moments of despair creep in.

markj

Sox give up 17 hits and commit 5 errors. 5 Errors!!! WTF? This is a team in freefall.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 21, 2021, 09:38:03 PM
Sox give up 17 hits and commit 5 errors. 5 Errors!!! WTF? This is a team in freefall.

My only hope now to see the season end and the RFC fired once and for all.  And Bloom had better do just that, that is if he is really in charge and not having his hands tied by Prune Face, that cheap bastard.

elktonnick

The Red Sox radio guys all complained about a total lack of effort by the entire team.  Question: has this club quit on Cora or Bloom or each other?  There is something fundamentally wrong in this clubhouse.  What is it?

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on August 21, 2021, 02:47:47 PM
&Mr. POTENTIAL is on the mound tonight ...... Should be good for about 4 innings !!! iono iono sigh rofl rofl rofl
THANKS E-ROD , you make me look good !!!!!!  thumb_d sigh ..... TRADE/DUMP HIM NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!! rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

I've also thoght about the clubhouse stigma with this team.  Then there is also the component of leadership.  A few years ago there was an outfield of Beni, Bradley,' Mookie and Holt as a utility/platoon guy.  Those guys were all homegrown and had some gravitas on the team.  They have replaced all of them.  Bradley was replaceable, yes, but did he have the respect of his teammates?

Many of the new Sox in the field are newcomers on one-year and gone contracts. Marwin and Santana are hopefully history now. They're looking for a sweeter deal as a free=agent.  Heck, I think Sale offers a lot of respect and leadership, but he's a pitcher and probably doesn't mix it up a lot with the field players.

Whatever happens, I think it is imperative on Bloom to take charge of the team.  Cora is probably out of ideas, and getting no respect, maybe rolling eyes at this point.  Bloom allowing this to fester into October could be bad news trying to transition some of these players to the 2022 Sox.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 22, 2021, 10:03:47 AM
I've also thoght about the clubhouse stigma with this team.  Then there is also the component of leadership.  A few years ago there was an outfield of Beni, Bradley,' Mookie and Holt as a utility/platoon guy.  Those guys were all homegrown and had some gravitas on the team.  They have replaced all of them.  Bradley was replaceable, yes, but did he have the respect of his teammates?

Many of the new Sox in the field are newcomers on one-year and gone contracts. Marwin and Santana are hopefully history now. They're looking for a sweeter deal as a free=agent.  Heck, I think Sale offers a lot of respect and leadership, but he's a pitcher and probably doesn't mix it up a lot with the field players.

Whatever happens, I think it is imperative on Bloom to take charge of the team.  Cora is probably out of ideas, and getting no respect, maybe rolling eyes at this point.  Bloom allowing this to fester into October could be bad news trying to transition some of these players to the 2022 Sox.

I agree Sea Dog and one of the first things the team must do is to get Duran in that lineup, at leadoff man, and KEEP HIM THE HELL IN THE LINEUP, something we know Cora will not do since he is wedded to "experience" even if means trash like Santana, Gonzales, Richards, Perez and that ilk play over guys like Arroyo and others.  And TFC must go and Bloom must be allowed to bring in his own man.  Prune Face rehired Cora after he had fired him and what does that tell you?  It tells me Henry didn't know what the hell he was doing bringing back a baseball felon to run the team.  Leo Durocher in his managing days had a slogan for radically changing the team....BACK UP THE TRUCK!!!!!  We need to back it up and be certain to get rid of the refuse on the mound and in the bullpen and those who have no done the job this season.   We also should keep the guys who have performed up to their capabillties .  Bloom has a hard job and now would be a good time to get into that mode since last night proved to me that we are going nowhere this season, Cora has lost the team, and we have a number of players like E-Rod who should NOT be coming back.

longgame

Even Cora lit up the team after the game yesterday.  This is 15 of the last 22 they have lost.  Truly pathetic.  Yesterday was the day that showed this team is toast.

Player leadership is a huge thing.  I don't think Bogey is particularly outspoken and he's the logical guy to be a leader.  Most of the other guys are either much younger or aren't regulars.  I figure the only "regulars" they have are Verdugo (too young), Raffy (young and can't communicate with half the team), Renfroe (too new), Hernandez (ditto and I don't think he's a leader) and Vazquez (if you can get him away from the food table).  I guess you could count JDM as a regular but I don't think he thinks beyond his own orbit.  In fact I'm wondering if JDM is the Nomar of this team.  Good player but sulking and bringing everyone else down with him.  Just have the feeling he checked out a few weeks ago and the team went with him.

On the field management side, they've suffered from a poorly constructed team and as such they don't have any rhythm.  Verdugo moves from field to field based on the relative competence of whoever gets the call that day.  Hernandez can't be sure if he's a 2B or an OF.  Dalbec is the only one who can play a serviceable 1B and thankfully his bat has warmed up because we've seen his defense is okay, but not great.  The fact that they've had to use a catcher as a DH in many games is telling.  Who doesn't have a better bat off the bench that's better than the backup catcher.

One more thing. E-Rod started off fine, pounding the strike zone and working, then he just fell apart, especially when a guy got on base.  Ottavino was also amazing to watch as he shakes off Vazquez time after time and goes back to his breaking pitch which he couldn't get within a foot of the plate.  Why have Sox pitchers been afraid (for several years now) of throwing strikes?  You can't get outs unless you get it in play because you're not going to K guys on balls.  I've always said they need to make a rule where you can DFA a guy on the spot for walking the first batter in relief!

Thankfully they're rained out until tomorrow so they can't lose today.

elktonnick

I think it is pretty clear that there is no leadership on this team.  The pitchers do not respect their catchers.  I just do not see the X man for having the leadership skills.  Certainly JD is too self centered to exhibit any leadership qualities. 

The rumor going around Boston is that the Cora Bloom relationship is not good.  Reportedly Bloom is micromanaging certain decisions based solely on analytics.  Cora reportedly went over Bloom head on one such move.