GAME #123 - WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 18, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by markj, August 18, 2021, 08:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Think about if this situation had happened at work - the boss tells you "you've done a great job and if any of you are here in two years we plan to win then".  This is like "you worked great on landing that big account but we think we'll land another account in two years to just do what you can but you've got no help from management".  Bloom's Blunder was twofold.  One the lack of meaningful activity (plus we got some really awful relivers) and second that he told the team "we don't want to win this year because we're going to win in 2023".  I know he's not a kid, but has this guy followed baseball?  Does he not know that when you're in a position to strike you do it?

Bloom's job was to be the closer.  He had to make a move or two that would improve the team and instead managed to somehow hurt it.

Sea Dog 23

As y’all have pointed out in great detail,  this team was assembled in patchwork fashion, poorly managed at critical points in the season, and probably hung out to dry by management a few weeks ago.  A third year of mediocre results, two on his watch,  will cause Cora’s firing.  He must take the fall, nobody in the FO will own up to this mess.  The 2022 Sox will be a mystery team for writers to talk about in the off-season, yada yada.

SeaBeachFred

WelL some good news from this quarter----MAYBE!!!!!!  Today, August 19th is the 21st Anniversary of my becoming a Red Sox fan.  On that date in 2000 on a final game of my first Sports Travel baseball tour I ATTENDED A RED SOX-RANGERS GAME AT FENWAY.  PEDRO THREW SEVEN INNING OF SHUTOUT BALL IN A 9-0 BOSTON ROUT.  i WALKED OUT OF FENWAY AND BECAME A RED SOX FAN ON THE SPOT.  LOOKING AT IT TODAY i WONDER IF I DIDN'T TAKE ON A BURDEN OF MISERY THAT DRIVES ME UP A WALL ALMOST EVERY GAME.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2021, 10:42:51 AM
WelL some good news from this quarter----MAYBE!!!!!!  Today, August 19th is the 21st Anniversary of my becoming a Red Sox fan.  On that date in 2000 on a final game of my first Sports Travel baseball tour I ATTENDED A RED SOX-RANGERS GAME AT FENWAY.  PEDRO THREW SEVEN INNING OF SHUTOUT BALL IN A 9-0 BOSTON ROUT.  i WALKED OUT OF FENWAY AND BECAME A RED SOX FAN ON THE SPOT.  LOOKING AT IT TODAY i WONDER IF I DIDN'T TAKE ON A BURDEN OF MISERY THAT DRIVES ME UP A WALL ALMOST EVERY GAME.

Good stuff, Fred.   I had lunch with a veterans group today, and unfortunately I was blindsided by about three NYY fans, all native NY, who were cackling about a sweep of the Sox.  As you said about the baked in misery for Sox fans.  This is a lousy year among others I recall.

longgame

Happy Sox-aversary!

SeaDog, when I was a kid I grew up halfway between NY and Boston in Old Saybrook, CT.  Half the town were Sox fans, the other half (the uneducated, slovenly ones) were Yankee fans.  There were a smattering of Mets fans but nobody cared!  Anyhow, especially during the summer of 78, it could get brutal.  If the teams played, the fans of the losing team would call in sick the next day.

In 2004 my mother was in the hospital in New Haven during the ALCS.  The whole floor had the games on.  We went in the day after game 3 and all the Yankee fans had their hats and jackets on.  Went in the day after Game 4 and it seemed like it was all Sox fans.  It can be tough when forced to co-exist!

Sea Dog 23

Ted, that's good to know some history.  I've lived in New York state, but never Boston.  I guess folks are forgetting we are 10-6 this year to the Yanks.  But there are no good losses to NY, especially those at the end of they year. 

We only have 9 games left with the Yanks and TB and about 30 against mediocre teams (Orioles, Rangers, Twins, Cleve, Nats, others)  But this team shows no ability to beat any of the contending teams last two months.  Not a good doctor's report if there is a team physician.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 19, 2021, 11:22:27 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2021, 10:42:51 AM

Good stuff, Fred.   I had lunch with a veterans group today, and unfortunately I was blindsided by about three NYY fans, all native NY, who were cackling about a sweep of the Sox.  As you said about the baked in misery for Sox fans.  This is a lousy year among others I recall.

Right Sea Dog---and we Sox fans have to keep in mind that along with those four WS Titles out guys have brought home this century we also have gotten stuck with four last place finishes and to my way of thinking there is absolutely no excuse for a team like the RedSox having to have an equal number of last place finishes along with first place ones.  As for those Yankee fans, times have never changed because Yankee fans are as insufferable today as they were back in the day when I was a pre-teenager in Queens and had to put up with those jokers in many  of dthose heartbreaking October festivals as a then Dodger fan----1947, 1949, 1952, 1953----not to mention blown pennant titles to the Phillies and Giants along with that.  This season  they teased us Ted and then pulled the rug out from under us.  If I was smart I would not follow them at all until August 1 of next season to see if they are for real.  I don't want to get teased and lured into a trap once more.  I owe you a call my friend.

elktonnick

Chad Jennings in today's Athletic echoed our position namely that the game was lost when Cora made out the lineup card by putting JDM in right field.  Jennings went so far as to write that the loss was squarely in JDM's lap.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 19, 2021, 01:40:50 PM
Happy Sox-aversary!

SeaDog, when I was a kid I grew up halfway between NY and Boston in Old Saybrook, CT.  Half the town were Sox fans, the other half (the uneducated, slovenly ones) were Yankee fans.  There were a smattering of Mets fans but nobody cared!  Anyhow, especially during the summer of 78, it could get brutal.  If the teams played, the fans of the losing team would call in sick the next day.

In 2004 my mother was in the hospital in New Haven during the ALCS.  The whole floor had the games on.  We went in the day after game 3 and all the Yankee fans had their hats and jackets on.  Went in the day after Game 4 and it seemed like it was all Sox fans.  It can be tough when forced to co-exist!

Ted---I noticed something in the demeanor of Yankee fans over the years, especially as I got older and adopted the Red Sox in 2000.  Back then they would tease us, try to make us feel better with humor and a lot of sarcasm too as if we were a bunch of rubes.  But a lot of it was in good cheer as well since they were on top and we were the perennial chokers.  I would say after 2013 and our third WS  Title the kidding became more mean spirited and angry at us since they couldn't kid us about being chokers anymore since we have three to their one in the new century.  By 2018 many of those "entitled" ones were incensed that we were now the kingpins instead of them and I think that accounts for their raising the flag now that they have embarrassed the shit out of us the past series where we looked like shit warmed over.  We have one more series with them and we had better return the favor and end up with the last laugh in this more bitter rivalry.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2021, 10:30:00 PM
Quote from: longgame on August 19, 2021, 01:40:50 PM
Happy Sox-aversary!

Ted---I noticed something in the demeanor of Yankee fans over the years, especially as I got older and adopted the Red Sox in 2000.  Back then they would tease us, try to make us feel better with humor and a lot of sarcasm too as if we were a bunch of rubes.  But a lot of it was in good cheer as well since they were on top and we were the perennial chokers.  I would say after 2013 and our third WS  Title the kidding became more mean spirited and angry at us since they couldn't kid us about being chokers anymore since we have three to their one in the new century.  By 2018 many of those "entitled" ones were incensed that we were now the kingpins instead of them and I think that accounts for their raising the flag now that they have embarrassed the shit out of us the past series where we looked like shit warmed over.  We have one more series with them and we had better return the favor and end up with the last laugh in this more bitter rivalry.

I've noticed the same, although I'm about to jump on a call where a Yankee fan colleague will be on and I know the ribbing will be good natured.  But you are right, their frustration with losing has only been compounded by the Sox' success the past 17 years.

MongoLikeSox

Bloom's biggest failures are in his project acquisitions. A reasonable amount of them worked, but he built his club with them. 14-15 spots on the 40 man, and that's only counting 3 in the bullpen. Some of it cost him decent money, too. This is a serious handcuffing. Most of the rest is because of this.