GAME #100 - SUNDAY, JULY 25, 2021 - NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 25, 2021, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

On the side topic we've got brewing on pulling the pitchers, I absolutely agree with pulling German. He was not fooling anyone. It's the whom he replaced him with I'd have an issue with if I was a Yankees' fan. He's he's a stud, but he looked bad after 2 batters yesterday. Maybe he normally recovers well? Guessing.

Cora's was a tougher call the day before. Eovaldi did not have it. He came out throwing like he does when he's brewing up an implosion inning. At least one hit(Gardner?) was from a ball not breaking down like it would have earlier in the game, and he was doing his variation of yanking pitches. (A much more accurate version of when Richards does it.)

On the other hand, he did not have that last batter shutdown, you're not going to hit this set of pitches. Maybe he did and did not have it that time, or maybe Cora took it away from him. I don't know.

I'll put it this way. I wasn't yelling at the TV like I did when Grady Little popped out of the dugout doing his little jog instead of a pulling the pitcher stroll.

Sea Dog 23

Some post-game beauties from the NewYawk faithful, HA

“If Hal won’t fire Boone and Cashman he should sell the team.”

“Boone is managing scared and has no trust in anyone.”

“Boone looked shell shocked in the post game.”

“Boone is merely an errand boy taking notification from Cashman.”

“This is a soft, broken team, unable to adjust to the style and demands of each game.”

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 26, 2021, 06:57:21 AM
Some post-game beauties from the NewYawk faithful, HA

“If Hal won’t fire Boone and Cashman he should sell the team.”

“Boone is managing scared and has no trust in anyone.”

“Boone looked shell shocked in the post game.”

“Boone is merely an errand boy taking notification from Cashman.”

“This is a soft, broken team, unable to adjust to the style and demands of each game.”

Boone definitely looked shell shocked when the Sox started scoring.  The opposite was Cora the night before who was just annoyed.  I think Cashman and Boone are gone.  Cashman seemed to have the Midas touch for a while but that is long gone.  They do a good job of never having basement years like the Sox have every few years, but they haven't had a "good" team in years.

Hard to say on the pitch count stuff.  In the past they'd leave the guy in, he'd get beat up and he'd come back out.  Why do that when you can get some guy throwing 100 out of the pen?  Today's relievers aren't the relievers of our youth.  Guys come in to a game not expecting to thrown more than a certain amount and can leave it all out there.  When you had guys in a four man rotation throwing 130 or more pitches every time out, do you think they could have gotten most modern number 9 hitters out today?

MongoLikeSox

Those quotes from the Yankees' writers & such are priceless.

Earlier in the season when Cone, O'Neill and the play-by-play guy were doing their smug, we are the great Yankees thing, someone asked Cone to compare and contrast the fan bases. He pitched for us one year in 2001 after his time on those great late 90's Yankees teams. He asked with fan-base was more desperate, or something to that effect. They were careful to not say passionate. Cone responded with a definitive "Red Sox Fans".

Me thinks he's working on some very, very dated intel. Those days are LONG GONE.  thumb_u 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on July 25, 2021, 10:59:26 PM
That was a lot of fun!

Someone said something about the NY press. One of the best mornings of my life the day after we beat them in game-7 back in 2004 was spent perusing the NY newspapers web sites. There were core, deep rooted beliefs broken. It was so glorious.

today was a lot of fun.

Mongo---I got copies of the ALDS 2018 games where we took the New Yorkers three to one in the series and the Post and Daily News were all over the Yankees, berating them over and over, calling them the Bumbinos and calling them chokers of the highest order.  Even with our record that season most "experts" picked the Yanks to beat us and so it was a tough pill to take.   The one thing all Red Sox fans must understand about that ball club and their fans.  Even though they have had droughts when they have gone a decade or more of not winning the Fall Classic, they think of nothing else.  They do NOT think of Division Titles or even American League Championships.  With the players, fans and writers it is always WORLD SERIES OR BUST.  Very high expetations but that is the way they think and have always thought.  It is god to keep that in mind.