5. J.D. Davis (R) 3B
6. Jeff McNeil (L) 2B
7. James McCann (R) C
8. David Peterson (L) P
9. Kevin Pillar (R) CF

Gametime Temp: 60°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

Sea Dog 23

At least Cora did not match Richard's against deGrom (Wed. night?)

There's reason to be confident, our guy has a better ERA than Peterson.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 27, 2021, 10:30:56 AM
At least Cora did not match Richard's against deGrom (Wed. night?)

There's reason to be confident, our guy has a better ERA than Peterson.

Richards has a mere 6.48 ERA while Peterson is a whopping 6.75! Richards would be okay if he kept the walks down.  13 walks and 18 hits in 16.2 innings pitched. 

SeaBeachFred

Garrett has to puke it up or get away from the sink.  He hasn't pitched worth a damn for us and it high time he goes out there and gives us a solid and winning effort.  Simple as that since tomorrow we get DeGrom and that is bad news from where I sit.  Please guys, open this road stand on a winning note against the New Yorkers.

Well somebody heard me.  A tough 2-1 win tonight and Garrett Richards did puke up all the alien bodies in his pitching arm and gave us seven strong innings against a formidable hitting attack the Mets now.  Andriesie and Barnes pitched two great innings in relief to keep the lead we had.  Those two I really doubted when the season began but they seem to have measured up---up to now certainly.  I hope they can keep it up.  It is only the second win this season for us where we didn't score at least four runs for a victory.  And we needed this game because guess who we have to go up against tomorrow?

longgame

Back to a crappy OF tonight with Renfroe and Martinez.  There is zero reason for Martinez to be in the field on a team with a load of outfielders. 

Verdugo has a career .304 average vs lefties and a .290 versus righties yet he sits for lefties.  Makes no sense.   This team has a core that includes him.  I don't get why he isn't valued more.   Renfroe is .214 vs R and .255 vs L so it's a loss every time he's in the lineup. 

MongoLikeSox

The ESPN folks said Verdugo had a tight hammy.

Richards, I think, was a pitch away from an "Immaculate Inning".

Sea Dog 23

Good to see Dalbec with his first bomb.  Maybe some confidence his way.  Sox have stranded runners tonight through their 4th. Richatds is locating well.   Still a tie game.

MongoLikeSox

Richards delivery looked direct and straight ahead compared to earlier this year. Nice!

elktonnick

Super performance by Richards.  According to Remy and Eckersley, Dave Bush worked with Richards between starts.  If this is true then it is an excellent omen.  It could mean that Richards has turned it around.  Moreover it also means that Boston finally has a competent pitching coach.

MongoLikeSox

BoSoxFanNY

Red Sox beat the Mets 2 -1.

I think this may have been Garrett Richards best game as a Sox pitcher.

THIS game - solid pitching and just enough runs to win.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 27, 2021, 07:18:00 PM

Well as we saw tonight we need Verdugo to get that hammy loose because we don't need him on the shelf since he is one of our best players and a big building block for the future.  Hope he is in there the rest of the trip.  As for Martinez in the lineup as an OF, much better than having French Fry Franchy in there.  I do  think though that we have to start hitting more since that was supposed to be one of our strengths, but I have always like 2-1 wins since it means we did what we had to and got good pitching.

MongoLikeSox

JD just showed us how basic fundamental competence can still have their worth despite cement boots he's wearing.

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 27, 2021, 09:38:40 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 27, 2021, 07:18:00 PM

Well as we saw tonight we need Verdugo to get that hammy loose because we don't need him on the shelf since he is one of our best players and a big building block for the future.  Hope he is in there the rest of the trip.  As for Martinez in the lineup as an OF, much better than having French Fry Franchy in there.  I do  think though that we have to start hitting more since that was supposed to be one of our strengths, but I have always like 2-1 wins since it means we did what we had to and got good pitching.
You beat me to the punch on the JD/Cordero thing.  ;D

Sea Dog 23

Cora couldn't have scripted this better.  Getting a wild-a$$ed pitcher to throw a somewhat masterpiece, compelling the bottom of the order to get busy ... Dalbec goes yard and Renfroe with a double.  Even the espn team was gushing about the Sox, which doesn't occur very much in history.

elktonnick

The more I think about the more I believe that Bloom's best decision was the one to make Dave Bush the pitching coach.