5. Evan White (R) 1B
6. Taylor Trammell (L) CF
7. Luis Torrens (R) C
8. Sam Haggerty (S) LF
9. J.P. Crawford (L) SS

Gametime Temp: 66°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Sea Dog 23

Nathan throwing lots of fast balls in the 1st and M's crushed them for 3 hard singles. He did manage to throw at least two sliders, but one hit the batter.  Luckily they only scored one run.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox starting pitching has really gone sucky this week.  Nate up to 45 pitches after 2.  And we're trailing 4-0.

longgame

Plus this guy Flexen keeps hanging curve balls but they seem to think it's a fastball every time and are ahead of it.  Then they end up chasing balls out of the zone.  This team is also very swing happy.

They're settling into a .500 pattern which is around where a lot of people expected.  They have talent but lack consistency. 

MongoLikeSox

They blew a chance to have Taylor leave the game with a huge boost. I know we're stretched a bit, but this is a long season and having him closer to being "right" instead of even the chance of him shaking his head in the dugout. bah!!!

Meanwhile, a young LF'er ..... OB and Remy are starting to talk right this instant about a replacement. At this point, I don't care who it is.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 24, 2021, 02:37:39 PM
They blew a chance to have Taylor leave the game with a huge boost. I know we're stretched a bit, but this is a long season and having him closer to being "right" instead of even the chance of him shaking his head in the dugout. bah!!!

Meanwhile, a young LF'er ..... OB and Remy are starting to talk right this instant about a replacement. At this point, I don't care who it is.

So that might be Duran?  Unfortunately his AAA season hasn't begun.  The alternate squad did have a game against the Mets this week.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 24, 2021, 03:33:42 PM

So that might be Duran?  Unfortunately his AAA season hasn't begun.  The alternate squad did have a game against the Mets this week.
Does the AAA season need to be active for him or anyone to be called up?

It gets complicated very quickly, roster-wise. I do not believe Cordero has any options left Duran is not on the 40-man.  When/if it happens, it happens with authority.

This past week has been a slew of bad defense, and not just LF.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 24, 2021, 04:26:25 PM

It gets complicated very quickly, roster-wise. I do not believe Cordero has any options left Duran is not on the 40-man.  When/if it happens, it happens with authority.

Mongo, I was thinking of the timing not good, as Duran has not had good reps while waiting for AAA.  Sox are trying to keep him down to get another year of control.  But bring him on, play the young stars!  BTW I think Franchy has at least one option, maybe two.  Franchy has fallen off a cliff.  51% K-AB in his last 45 plate appearances, BA dropped from .350 to .200 and is really lost on left field.   Help!

Murph

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 24, 2021, 04:34:09 PM
Quote from: MongoLikeSox on April 24, 2021, 04:26:25 PM

Mongo, I was thinking of the timing not good, as Duran has not had good reps while waiting for AAA.  Sox are trying to keep him down to get another year of control.  But bring him on, play the young stars!  BTW I think Franchy has at least one option, maybe two.  Franchy has fallen off a cliff.  51% K-AB in his last 45 plate appearances, BA dropped from .350 to .200 and is really lost on left field.   Help!

I would think the smarter play would keep Duran down and save that year of control. How much of a difference will the kid make with this team trying at best for 500. They went out and did what they could by bringing in utility players and staying under the CBA. Only Gonzalez has a career BA over 250 of all the guys they got. The future looks bright with the kids and next year finally bringing in some talent via trades and FA.
Speaking of Franchys K % Dalbec is not much better without any power at all. I wrote this season off long before it started and simply can`t see them continuing this pace .

SeaBeachFred

After today we are 4-6 since our nine game winning streak and maybe if this continues we need to bring up some youngsters and let them play-------we are not going anywhere this year if this kind of pitching and inconsistent hitting keep up.  As for French Fried Franchy why the hell is he even on the team.  He has failed twice with other teams (Padres and Royals)  We know he can't field worth a damn and now he is striking out at an alarming rate.  As Mongo said this has all the characteristics of a political game where they are determined to see the French Fry succeed while he didn't on two o ther teams.  Wrong Bloom.  The guy stinks.  Get him the hell out of Boston and have him take some of those dud relievers with him.

Sea Dog 23

I think Bloom knew that the Beni-Cordero deal included a throwaway in Franchy as part of the deal.  He was nothing more than a placeholder in the outfield until Duran could get himself ready.  For Bloom the more enticing part of the deal are the three minor league PTBNA.  Two from KC and one from Mets.  These are probably, hope so, top AA players, and the Sox have to June-July to do the picking, among 2-3 targets. 

The catch is, minor leagues don't start til May, so they can't observe much of anything yet.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on April 25, 2021, 05:56:05 AM
I think Bloom knew that the Beni-Cordero deal included a throwaway in Franchy as part of the deal.  He was nothing more than a placeholder in the outfield until Duran could get himself ready.  For Bloom the more enticing part of the deal are the three minor league PTBNA.  Two from KC and one from Mets.  These are probably, hope so, top AA players, and the Sox have to June-July to do the picking, among 2-3 targets. 

The catch is, minor leagues don't start til May, so they can't observe much of anything yet.
This is the reason I cannot yet whine about the trade. Too many unknowns. I was curious the other day, though, if this was the last of the unknown PLTBNWTFE players from last off season's dealings. I knew we had/have one coming from Philly, IIRC.

MongoLikeSox

I think I have to agree with most that this is not the season. If it is not the season, then why are we signing Marwin for a year and sending Chavis down instead of further developing his roving defense at the big league level? He did what was asked of him this past off season. I'm not saying that he is a better option, but it's so utterly horrible to have someone do as instructed, do it well and get left out. Other players see this. Other players can interpret this as distrust. That is not a good thing. If I was him and watched the poor play at LF , 2b and 1b, I would be seething mad right now. I'm not even talking about hitting. 

@Sea Dog 23 - My bad. I see now that Franchy does, indeed, have 2 options left. He needs to not be there right now. He rushed through Spring Training. Give him a chance to get his feet under him again. Nobody should have to be exposed to our fan-base like that.

On the Duran thing, I guess the Father in me hates to see a kid lose another year just because the team want's an additional year. 32 for his first eligible FA year. I agree, though. That is the business and the CBA was signed.....

On a more generalized note: It's also difficult to deny the timing of a kid's prime physical years overlapping too much with his adjustment to MLB years. It sure is fun watching Devers grow in many ways, for example. Then there's Andrew Benetendi. I really hope he turns it around. He's still only 26.