Quote from: markj on April 23, 2021, 07:34:34 AM
7:10PM Eastern

Red Sox

Martin Perez (L)

Mariners

Yusei Kikuchi (L)

Gametime Temp: 52°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Someone please Perez that we need him to finally pitch a game worth pitching.  He and Richards have been totally crappy and after last night's choke job we need a win very badly today so we don't regress in 2020 mode.  Last night's loss really twisted by gourd into an angry mess.

Sea Dog 23

After taking some shots in the 1st,  Perez has escaped the 2nd with a 2-1 lead.  Bogey is still on a roll.

Sea Dog 23

Not the Sox, but the Jays, visiting Rays tonight, got creative.
For the first time since a record service began in 1969, a pitcher (Glasnow) struck out 4 batters but also gave up 4 runs all in a single inning.

elktonnick

Perez irritates the heck out of me.  He acts like a petulant child.  He gives up a hit then instead of backing up the catcher he stands in front of the plate and interferes with the throw home.  He had no business cutting off that throw.  If II were Cora or Bush, I'd be reading him the riot act.

markj

Meatball Matt almost blows the lead. Sox just eked a win here.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on April 23, 2021, 08:22:26 PM
Perez irritates the heck out of me.  He acts like a petulant child.  He gives up a hit then instead of backing up the catcher he stands in front of the plate and interferes with the throw home.  He had no business cutting off that throw.  If II were Cora or Bush, I'd be reading him the riot act.

Perez is a piece of crap Elk.  We got lucky last season with him as he pitched pretty well for an otherwise miserable team but he has reverted back to his shitty self so far this season.  He and Meatball Barnes also piss me off and it was just a matter of time before  the meatball cost us a game with crappy pitching in the ninth inning.  He almost succeeded this time out, and for the record this win tonight means nothing to me.  It won' mean diddly squat until if and when we win the next two games and take the series three games to one.  Otherwise this series goes down in my book as a colossal failure.  We have to learn to win consistently at home and haven't done that since 2018.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on April 23, 2021, 09:42:56 PM

Well at least two of us on this board know Barnes as a total shit markj.

Sea Dog 23

The story unfolding this week is at the top.  Over the last three games two guys can't pitch 5 innings, tonight Perez couldn't give us 4 IP.  We have 14 pitchers who are going to get worn out.  Some  relievers are getting a night off, but we're having to play a lot of games.  It caught up to Otta this week a d Barnes tonight.

The answer for starters are Sale, Whitlock and Seabolt, but they won't be ready before June or July.  Houck will have to begin getting more duty.  its obvious.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on April 23, 2021, 10:42:25 PM
Quote from: markj on April 23, 2021, 09:42:56 PM

Well at least two of us on this board know Barnes as a total shit markj.
While I might use a different phrase......  yeah. Underachiever? Nerves get to him? That job is not meant for everyone. It's for those who thrive in that light. I would suck at it, I think.

He is trying to reinvent himself this year. Is it working? One bad outing can happen to anyone. I suspect we'll know for sure in a month. One thing is constant. If a hitter is looking fastball and sees one come into his zone, he's gonna hit it. It doesn't matter if the pitcher is throwing with a bit of bravado or if he's wearing an emotional tutu.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: elktonnick on April 23, 2021, 08:22:26 PM
There's time for a tantrum after time is called.

longgame

We've seen the Barnes routine all too often, but the Sox like insanity - doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  Except when it comes to the lineup.  I wonder if the analytics whiz kids can figure out that they seem to hit and win with their "regular" (i.e. the obvious) lineup and not when they start moving guys around.

Speaking of pitchers, DeGrom had one of his typical nights - I think it was 8 1/3 with 15Ks and a couple of hits.  He has an ERA of .31 and has 50Ks in 29 IP.  Oh, and he's hitting 6-11!