GAME #135, THURSDAY, AUGUST 30, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Started by markj, August 30, 2018, 12:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

Benintendi finally gets a hit and drives in a run. Sox up 6-4.

markj

JD with a 3-run dinger. Sox got this one in the bag now. Up 9-4.

ipot

JD breaks his longest HR drought of the season.   He crushed that.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Schloicka

Huge night if Sox hang on. Looked like it was going to be a Yankee win & a Sox loss but strange things happen sometimes. The Yanks blew a 2 run lead in the 9th and the Sox started scoreing again in the 7th and took the lead in the 9th. Went from being 6.5 up to 8.5 up plus we knocked another game off the schedule.

ipot

Quote from: markj on August 30, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
Porcello in a nice hole already. Oy.

Porcello's back in my dog house.  He's going to be a liability in the postseason.  Which is why the resurgence of Price is critical to how far this team can go.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Glad to see they can still fight back. Giolito was lights out, but the WS bullpen...not so much. Sox now 8.5 up. Time is running out on the Yanks. BTW, Yanks just picked up McCutchen to add to their OF.

Schloicka

Braiser got the win tonight. Sox bats came alive late. Good team win.

markj

If the Sox can win 13 out of their remaining 27 games, they'll hit 106 wins. If that happens, the Yanks would have to win 22 of their remaining 28 to catch the Sox. A 13-14 record is doable and even pretty bad for the Sox. A 22-6 record is going to be awfully tough for the Yanks to pull off.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 30, 2018, 10:40:57 PM
Huge night if Sox hang on. Looked like it was going to be a Yankee win & a Sox loss but strange things happen sometimes. The Yanks blew a 2 run lead in the 9th and the Sox started scoreing again in the 7th and took the lead in the 9th. Went from being 6.5 up to 8.5 up plus we knocked another game off the schedule.

Boy, what a reversal of fortune tonight.  Looked like the Yanks were headed for a win and the Red Sox a loss and, WHOOSH, all that changed for our benefit.  This was a good win because we added another game to our lead and I guess it shows the New Yorkers are human and can suffer the same maladies our team can.  8.5 games up is a lot better than the 5.5 we had a few nights ago.  Now let's keep that line moving and keep playing well and that means Porcello needs to get his crap together because he has been pretty bad of late.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on August 30, 2018, 10:43:37 PM
Quote from: markj on August 30, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
Porcello in a nice hole already. Oy.

Porcello's back in my dog house.  He's going to be a liability in the postseason.  Which is why the resurgence of Price is critical to how far this team can go.

Mine too, and tonight markj, it was the bullpen that bailed us out to set up our comeback.  Gee, I wish we could add another solid starting pitcher.  Maybe we can get one before the waiver deadline, or am I just dreaming?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 30, 2018, 11:17:59 PM
If the Sox can win 13 out of their remaining 27 games, they'll hit 106 wins. If that happens, the Yanks would have to win 22 of their remaining 28 to catch the Sox. A 13-14 record is doable and even pretty bad for the Sox. A 22-6 record is going to be awfully tough for the Yanks to pull off.

Well markj, not to act greedy but I think our team is capable and should be talented enough to win 15 or 16 of our last 27 games if they play up to their capabilities.  One strange thing I've noticed is that the Yankees have become a little vulnerable against so-called weaker teams in their own ballpark, and that is a rare occurance for them.  Still we need to take care of business at our own end.   Tonight was a good comeback and it points out that no opponent is a pushover.  We've had to fight for our last three wins.

Bill-806

Another come from behind WIN...…. PROOF that it is a special year !!! thumb_u iono rofl rofl

longgame

I'm very concerned about our pitching - we're not getting very good starting pitching or relief pitching.  I'm also concerned about how the offense is getting shut down by mediocre pitching until we can get to the truly bad pitching.  But they do keep marching along and extending that lead the last two days is huge.