GAME #133, TUESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2018, MIAMI MARLINS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, August 28, 2018, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

markj

Kimbrel isn't doing his future salary any favors here. He looks pathetic.

markj

markj

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on August 28, 2018, 09:31:41 PM
Kimbrel isn't doing his future salary any favors here. He looks pathetic.

I'd have a hard time signing him unless he improved a lot over rest of season!

markj

Pure luck win. What should have been an inning ending DP is blown by the Marlins to give the win to the Sox. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

markj

Sox need to play .500 ball from here on out to force NYY to play .700 to catch up. Right now the Sox are playing .400 ball, so that's not going to cut it. If the Sox can win 14 more, the Yanks have to win 21 of their last 30 to catch up.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on August 28, 2018, 09:44:09 PM
Pure luck win. What should have been an inning ending DP is blown by the Marlins to give the win to the Sox. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

Win anyway you can. This was big because the Yanks came back to win their game. Another day got wiped off the schedule without losing ground. I'm very concerned with Kimbrel. He has no command. I couldn't even consider giving him a big contract after the season as it stands right now.

SeaBeachFred

A couple of takes here.  One is that Kimbrel cannot be effective when he goes a week without pitching.  He needs to get an inning in here and there to stay sharp and Cora for some reason doesn't understand that.  When your closer misses a week on the mound. certainly his pitches may be a bit off.  On Sunday he could have thrown an inning to stay sharp for two days later (today.  Cora says he is learning things every game, but his use of his bullpen and especially his closer needs some real improvement.  Dollars to donuts, it Kimbrel pitches in a closer situation tomorrow he will be much more effective.  Get that Cora?

Now you all know why markj and I call Barnes a meatball.  Very hard to have confidence in that guy because he seems to fade badly as the season wears on and maybe Cora should use some of the younger relievers more and bring up Poyner.  I'd like to see Joe Kelly strap it up and become a credible middle reliever.  He has too much good stuff to keep flailing away.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 28, 2018, 09:44:09 PM

Well a little luck markj can't hurt the way we've played the last week or so, but if the meatball did his job we would have had a cleaner win.  I hope David Price pitches tomorrow as he has the past couple of months----and, yes the team supports him with solid hitting and run producing.

ipot

The "other" headline reads: "Wild Pitch And Error Doom Marlins' Comeback"   I'll take the luck if it wakes up these guys but that was another ugly game.  At least we got the W....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Concern, DEEP CONCERN ……. Workman, Kelley, Barnes, & Hembree  …… Changes coming for the PLAYOFF B P ……… That's if we make it ?? iono iono

elktonnick

Cora's mismanagement of this ballclub over the past two weeks has resulted in the current state of affairs.  He rests position players too much so for my tastes but burns out bullpen pitchers.  The current state of affairs in the pen is because Cora has over worked Hembree and Barnes. Fred is right he has not kept Kimbrel fresh.  They may have the best record in baseball but the seeds of Cora's inexperience are beginning to show.  They will obviously make the playoffs but I am increasingly doubtful they will make it to the world series.  The fear of a 1978 collapse is also in the back of my mind.

longgame

Getting very concerned about this bullpen and it's not going to be stronger with Eovaldi in it either, never mind Pomeranz.  The regulars in the pen have been getting hammered consistently lately and you have to wonder if they're burnt out.  A couple of bad starts and the pen crumbled under the workload and are now toast.

By the way, I wonder who Kimbrel will play for next year?