GAME #132, SUNDAY, AUGUST 26, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, August 26, 2018, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 27, 2018, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 27, 2018, 03:15:01 PM
Getting Sale back isn't really going to make a lot of difference. In the 2 games he missed so far the Sox have scored a total of 3 runs combined. Until Betts starts hitting the ball again our offense will be stagnant for the most part. As Betts goes so go the Red Sox. And what happened to Pearce? He came over and was hitting well then all of a sudden he's not in the line up on a regular basis.

What you say George is right on the money----that is, if you are talking about the physical part of it.  However, how is Sale's loss affecting the psychological well being of the team.  From the past few seasons we all know that it doesn't take much at all to throw this group of players off, and as for Betts, as talented as he is, I have always doubted his toughness and his lack of iron will.  When he slumps it seems to just  turn him into a cypher.  Yes, he and the rest of the team must now rebound and go on a winning streak.  We have a tougher schedule to face up to than the Yankees and we need to start winning despite the difference in our schedules.  It is time to barf and get away from the sink.....once and for all.

I'll add that what very odd about Betts' slump is that it began right after that 1 game he didn't start against Philly in our last series with them.  He PH in that game.  Ever since then he just hasn't been the same.   In general, with the exception of Castillo (CLE) we've been stymied by good pitching.  I noticed we've been fed a steady diet of pitches hitting the lower half of the strike zone, especially the lower outside corner and especially sliders.  Have opponents figured something out?

In any respect it's a frickin' race again, something no on expected 10 days ago.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on August 27, 2018, 05:36:43 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 27, 2018, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on August 27, 2018, 03:15:01 PM
Getting Sale back isn't really going to make a lot of difference. In the 2 games he missed so far the Sox have scored a total of 3 runs combined. Until Betts starts hitting the ball again our offense will be stagnant for the most part. As Betts goes so go the Red Sox. And what happened to Pearce? He came over and was hitting well then all of a sudden he's not in the line up on a regular basis.

What you say George is right on the money----that is, if you are talking about the physical part of it.  However, how is Sale's loss affecting the psychological well being of the team.  From the past few seasons we all know that it doesn't take much at all to throw this group of players off, and as for Betts, as talented as he is, I have always doubted his toughness and his lack of iron will.  When he slumps it seems to just  turn him into a cypher.  Yes, he and the rest of the team must now rebound and go on a winning streak.  We have a tougher schedule to face up to than the Yankees and we need to start winning despite the difference in our schedules.  It is time to barf and get away from the sink.....once and for all.

I'll add that what very odd about Betts' slump is that it began right after that 1 game he didn't start against Philly in our last series with them.  He PH in that game.  Ever since then he just hasn't been the same.   In general, with the exception of Castillo (CLE) we've been stymied by good pitching.  I noticed we've been fed a steady diet of pitches hitting the lower half of the strike zone, especially the lower outside corner and especially sliders.  Have opponents figured something out?

In any respect it's a frickin' race again, something no on expected 10 days ago.....

Maybe it's me IPOT with my deep doubts about the lack of leadership on the field and my questioning of the team's mental toughness, but I have expected this race to tighten even when we were 10.5 games ahead.  The Yankees are a good ball club, they have leaders on the field and now their pitching seems to be rounding into form while ours is still depending on stiffs like Johnson and Velazquez who have now been exposed and figured out by the opposition.  Sale has to get off his duff and back into the rotation as soon as yesterday and that now goes for Rodriguez as well.

ipot

Well, the NYY lost to CWS so we're now at 6.5.  Time to beat the lowly Marlins and make up that 1/2 margin at least.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

I'm a bit amazed the White Sox won a game in this series. Maybe we'll really get lucky and they'll win two.