GAME #119, SATURDAY, AUGUST 11, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT ORIOLES

Started by markj, August 11, 2018, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

markj

markj

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on August 11, 2018, 07:36:26 PM
Workman is useless. RBI single and back-to-back walks to load the bases. Still can't get the 3rd out.

Totally useless markj, and the next time they send him down it should be for the full count.  Punch his ticket out of town because he has not only not improved but has gone backwards and at the very least is as rotten a pitcher as he was in 2014.

Schloicka

For a relievers game it wasn't to bad. Kimbrel just had to give up a 4th run or it would of been a good 9 inning 3 run effort which I can't complain about. It wasn't pretty at times but they did it. All you can ask. On to Sunday & it's a Sale day.

Fox sports says Cuevas was the winning pitcher but I think it should say Kelly since he was the pitcher of record at the end of 7 and it was tied. We scored 2 in the 8th to take the lead. Cuevas pitched the bottom of the 8th.

OK CBS sports gives the win to Kelly & Kimbrel with the save. Thought so.

9.5 game lead now.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on August 11, 2018, 10:18:26 PM
For a relievers game it wasn't to bad. Kimbrel just had to give up a 4th run or it would of been a good 9 inning 3 run effort which I can't complain about. It wasn't pretty at times but they did it. All you can ask. On to Sunday & it's a Sale day.

Fox sports says Cuevas was the winning pitcher but I think it should say Kelly since he was the pitcher of record at the end of 7 and it was tied. We scored 2 in the 8th to take the lead. Cuevas pitched the bottom of the 8th.

When a plethora of relievers share the game I don't much care who get credit for the win as long as the team does.......Long day but a DH win helps us a little more and every little bit helps from where I sit.  And for the record, I still don't think any team is a pushover.  We have to bear down hard no matter who we play.  Let's now hope Chris Sale is back in form and goes out there and pitches us to a series sweep because every win counts.

markj

Sox playing .706 ball. I know I keep bringing this up, but I find it amazing that any team can be playing at that level this far into the season.

ipot

Quote from: markj on August 11, 2018, 10:29:47 PM
Sox playing .706 ball. I know I keep bringing this up, but I find it amazing that any team can be playing at that level this far into the season.

It truly something amazing.  And what JD is doing is off the charts.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 11, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
Workman is useless. RBI single and back-to-back walks to load the bases. Still can't get the 3rd out.

Totally useless markj, and the next time they send him down it should be for the full count.  Punch his ticket out of town because he has not only not improved but has gone backwards and at the very least is as rotten a pitcher as he was in 2014.

I know the relievers somehow survived this, but every single one of them - except for Pomeranz  - made a drama out of it:

I couldn't resist:  8)
"Choking" Chuck Workman
"Humdrum" Heath Hembree
"Jittery" Joe Kelly
"Crumbling" Craig Kimbrel (he has been crumbling lately)

Cuevas has pitched a total of 8 inns in the MLB; he gets a pass.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

& the JUG/A/NOT CONTINUES !!!!  What a SEASON !!!!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

elktonnick

Quote from: ipot on August 11, 2018, 11:19:21 PM

I know the relievers somehow survived this, but every single one of them - except for Pomeranz  - made a drama out of it:

"Choking" Chuck Workman
"Humdrum" Heath Hembree
"Jittery" Joe Kelly

Bullpen issues are not exclusive to Boston.  Jim Bowden Jim Duquette others on MLB radio were lamenting how the Yankees pen and others were under performing of late.  It seems to be a common problem on many contending teams.  They reasoned it was the inevitable result of the way pens are being over used by today's managers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 12, 2018, 01:19:20 PM
Quote from: ipot on August 11, 2018, 11:19:21 PM

"Choking" Chuck Workman
"Humdrum" Heath Hembree
"Jittery" Joe Kelly

Bullpen issues are not exclusive to Boston.  Jim Bowden Jim Duquette others on MLB radio were lamenting how the Yankees pen and others were under performing of late.  It seems to be a common problem on many contending teams.  They reasoned it was the inevitable result of the way pens are being over used by today's managers.

What with pitch counts and managers and bean counters in the front offices worrying about overwork, you are probably right on your opinion.  Many teams are now lamenting how their bullpen is showing signs of crackups----the Dodgers and Angels alone out here where I live are poster teams for that.