GAME #111, THURSDAY, AUGUST 2, 2018, NEW YORK YANKEES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, August 02, 2018, 05:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Pearce with his 3rd HR of the night. He needs to play every game. Leave Moreland on the bench.

Schloicka

Schloicka

Stanton can really hit the ball but at this point of the game I will give them a HR for 3 outs an inning. 2 innings to go. Sox up 14-6.

longgame

This sure has been fun.  Don’t overlook Mookie’s night either, or Beni, or a few other guys.  Defense, especiallyy Kinsler, has also been excellent.  Both of the mid season position player acquisitions have been excellent.

Pearce may as well swing for the fences here!

longgame

Schloicka

Johnson with the win. Some great defensive plays and hits tonight. 6.5 games up. On to Friday night.

markj

Fun game after a rough start. Surprising.

SeaBeachFred

I know all of us on this board know baseball-----and I would bet dollars to donuts that no other Red Sox board can match us in understanding this game, but you all missed something I saw which impressed me by the carload......WE RAN THE BASES THIS TIME WITH ABANDON AND FORCED THE YANKEES INTO MAKING SOME BAD THROWS AND MENTAL MISTAKES.. Yes, we looked terrible the first two or three innings before we exploded offensively and that scared most of us, but we came back and gave it to a very good team with an explosion, but I liked the way we took advantage of New York mistakes.  And our bullpen did a decent job as well by keeping the Yankees down to singleton runs here and there.  One note of caution and for this I have to hark back to Derek Jeter who went toe to toe with us for two decades.....He said after a big Yankee win that there WAS NO CARRYOVER from one day to the next and that is what our team has to be aware of going into tomorrow's game.  We got the first licks in and we have an opportunity here.  I just wish our team goes into the game on Friday with the same force of will that they showed tonight.

Don't take the Yankees lightly---never do that, but go in there believing we can beat them because as we showed tonight, we can.

ipot

Fred, you're so right.  That was some great heads up baseball with the base running; the NYY were totally flummoxed. Changed the momentum of the game (that, and the Pearce 3-run jack). 

We won the game Sale would have started so that's a BIG plus.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

BoSoxFanNY

I went to a wedding tonight.
I glanced at the score to see the Yankees winning 3 - 0
in the first inning and thought - glad I am going to miss
this game. 
THEN, I saw that Pearce hits 3 home runs and the
Sox BEAT the Yankees 15 - 7.
WOW!  Wish I had seen this game!

GOOD way to start the series!

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 02, 2018, 10:41:58 PM
I know all of us on this board know baseball-----and I would bet dollars to donuts that no other Red Sox board can match us in understanding this game, but you all missed something I saw which impressed me by the carload......WE RAN THE BASES THIS TIME WITH ABANDON AND FORCED THE YANKEES INTO MAKING SOME BAD THROWS AND MENTAL MISTAKES.. Yes, we looked terrible the first two or three innings before we exploded offensively and that scared most of us, but we came back and gave it to a very good team with an explosion, but I liked the way we took advantage of New York mistakes.  And our bullpen did a decent job as well by keeping the Yankees down to singleton runs here and there.  One note of caution and for this I have to hark back to Derek Jeter who went toe to toe with us for two decades.....He said after a big Yankee win that there WAS NO CARRYOVER from one day to the next and that is what our team has to be aware of going into tomorrow's game.  We got the first licks in and we have an opportunity here.  I just wish our team goes into the game on Friday with the same force of will that they showed tonight.

Don't take the Yankees lightly---never do that, but go in there believing we can beat them because as we showed tonight, we can.

What struck me was the Sox are the more athletic team.  The Yanks may have the big power hitters but they can't manufacture runs like Boston. Kinsler made two tremendous athletic plays and he is the new guy.

Bear

Wow, a most exciting game.  And yes, Yankees spend more money for players and yet,
I always call our guys, the smaller guys, get the job done.
Pearce, three dingers, congrats.
The entire team has to be happy with this game.
Friday, forget this game, go Red Sox.
So happy to be back on Board, not sure for how long.
Marge

Bill-806

Yes, it was a WILD ONE !!   Great WIN..... On to GAME 2 !! thumb_u

longgame

Good comments on the athleticism and overall level of play.  While we can't base things on one game, the Sox appear to be a better team, especially when the Yankees don't have Judge in that lineup.  I'd take pretty much everyone we have position by position right now.  I loved the way they kept the pressure and kept the Yanks off balance.  Remember, this all really started on that play at home where JBJ should have been caught on the line, but the Yankees blew it. 

Excited for tonight's game.  I saw a killer instinct in our team that had been missing during the Farrell years - last year they would have folded down 4-0 - and I hope they can feel it and see their opportunity right now.  It's too early to knock the Yankees out, but it sure would be good to give them a pretty good knockdown. 

Speaking of knockouts - the Sox have more wins than KC and Baltimore combined, in fact about 10 more wins than those two.  The O's could be mathematically eliminated from the division in a week. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 03, 2018, 07:59:19 AM
Good comments on the athleticism and overall level of play.  While we can't base things on one game, the Sox appear to be a better team, especially when the Yankees don't have Judge in that lineup.  I'd take pretty much everyone we have position by position right now.  I loved the way they kept the pressure and kept the Yanks off balance.  Remember, this all really started on that play at home where JBJ should have been caught on the line, but the Yankees blew it. 

Excited for tonight's game.  I saw a killer instinct in our team that had been missing during the Farrell years - last year they would have folded down 4-0 - and I hope they can feel it and see their opportunity right now.  It's too early to knock the Yankees out, but it sure would be good to give them a pretty good knockdown. 

Speaking of knockouts - the Sox have more wins than KC and Baltimore combined, in fact about 10 more wins than those two.  The O's could be mathematically eliminated from the division in a week.

On your remark about the Farrell years and how we most likely would not have recovered from a 4-0 deficit, I'm very much reminded of a big four game series we had with the Yankees last summer around the same time and in the same place.  We won the first game, which I believe was a close one.   Then we shot ourselves in the foot.  Sale pitched eight innings of shutout ball and left with a 1-0 lead only to see Kimbrel give up a homer to tie the score and then see our comatose team try for ten innings to get a run home to win with one failure after another.  In the end the Yankees got three runs in the 18th or 19th inning to win, then won the first game of a DH the next afternoon.  It took a great pitching job from Price in the night cap for us to even the series with a 3-0 win.  We got a split.  I don't want that to happen this series.  The team must come out smoking all three games we have left in this series.  No letup, no falling down but taking it to the New Yorkers and making me forget the last time we had a four gamer at Fenway with them.  That has to be our goal and we must do everything to achieve it.