GAME #108, SUNDAY, JULY 29, 2018, MINNESOTA TWINS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 29, 2018, 09:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Argh!! Why pull Eovaldi now? He was at just 82 pitches and doing great.  sigh iono

markj

markj

No damage from the walk. Would like to see more runs here. And then hope Kimbrel does his usual thing in the 9th.

markj

markj

Schloicka

Eovaldi with the win. Kimbrel with the save. Eovaldi pitched great. Sox had a lot of missed chances but got enough runs for the win. On to Monday.

BoSoxFanNY

Sox are now 41 games over .500.

GREAT first start for Eovaldi in a Red Sox uniform.

Sox WIN 3 - 0.

Win the series, take 3 out of 4.

ANOTHER afternoon win.

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on July 29, 2018, 02:05:10 PM
Have to be happy with Eovaldi so far.  Beeks had given us 6 1/3 and 9 ER, so if Eovaldi goes another third of an inning and doesn't give up 9 runs we come out ahead.  BTW Beeks gave up 8 runs for his new team, the Rays, in 3 1/3 - against the Orioles.  This was an amazing deal to get a guy who can help us for a guy who never would.

That catch by JBJ was amazing.  I saw that and thought it was certainly a double, it was straight in the gap and sinking.  What was amazing was he caught up with the ball and caught as it was going by!
B I N G O  on BOTH counts !! thumb_u rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

The good news:  We won today and Eovaldi pitched a terrific game.  He should have gone one more inning though because he only threw 82 pitches but no harm no foul.  And JBJ made a great catch, a fantastic one.  The bad news:  We still leave too many men on base and you can't do that when we start playing the Yankees and other good teams.....in fact, you better learn not to do that against anyone.  It does seem, though, that many teams are guilty of that.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 29, 2018, 01:22:52 PM
Quote from: markj on July 29, 2018, 12:59:55 PM
JBJ with an incredible catch.
WHO ?????? Where do ya get players like that ??? thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl

Speaking of players, notice now that with increased playing time Blake Swihart is starting to show he can hit---hit better than a few of the guys who play every day.  He needs to be in that lineup more because he could be a real offensive key for us if Cora will get off the dime and play him more.

BoSoxFanNY

I am egging you on Fred -
With all the complaining about this team,
they are 41 games OVER .500.
They are 74 - 33.

WHO saw that coming????

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 29, 2018, 06:30:47 PM
The good news:  We won today and Eovaldi pitched a terrific game.  He should have gone one more inning though because he only threw 82 pitches but no harm no foul.  And JBJ made a great catch, a fantastic one.  The bad news:  We still leave too many men on base and you can't do that when we start playing the Yankees and other good teams.....in fact, you better learn not to do that against anyone.  It does seem, though, that many teams are guilty of that.

Pretty much a good summation, Fred.  Eovaldi was beyond impressive and Jackie "The Catch" Bradley is his nickname now  ;)
As for the LOBs, I'll give some credit to the Twins' pitching.  Berrios is darn good.  We got 3 runs off him which was just enough (and 3 runs usually ain't enough to win a game...)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

Cora said he pulled Eovaldi because he missed his last start and didn't want him to overdo it.  The proof in his handling of pitchers will come in the postseason.  Why throw these guys out there for some magical pitch numbers when modern baseball is get 6 or 7 and then go to the pen.  I can't complain with how he's handling the pitching staff at 41 games over .500.  The Sox have won 74 games.  A lot of teams won't win 74 games all year!  33 losses after 4 months of baseball?  That's nuts! 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on July 29, 2018, 11:50:32 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 29, 2018, 06:30:47 PM

Pretty much a good summation, Fred.  Eovaldi was beyond impressive and Jackie "The Catch" Bradley is his nickname now  ;)
As for the LOBs, I'll give some credit to the Twins' pitching.  Berrios is darn good.  We got 3 runs off him which was just enough (and 3 runs usually ain't enough to win a game...)

I have been watching that catch over and over on the Internet the past hour and I am now convinced that the catch Jackie made was not only a great one but one of the greatest I have ever seen.  Offensively I still think he is somewhat of a wastrel but giving credit where credit is long overdue, I don't think any other CF could have made that catch.  He went full head of step toward the wall, backhanded the ball and crashed into the wall so hard that he was turned around by the impact.  He says he patterns himself after the great Willie Mays which always made me seethe and laugh in anger, but defensively he might just be on a par.

Mays said that he thought his 1954 WS catch was overrated because he had it all the way, and when he patted his glove going for a ball, if you knew Mays, you that ball was heading into his glove to die.  On April 18, 1952 in the opening of a new Giants-Dodgers war, Mays went almost horizontal from center to left, launched himself horizontally in the air and caught the ball as he crashed into the left field wall and momentarily knocked himself out.  It temporarily preserved a 6-5 Giants lead in the 8th inning at old Ebbets Field, though the Dodgers tied it in the ninth and won it in the twelfth on Andy Pafko's homer over the right field fence off of George Spencer.  Yes, for many things baseball, I have a very good photographic memory.  Now if you ask me what I had for dinner last Thursday you would get a whiff of an idiot's delight.  I think Bradley's catch was every bit as good as the one Mays calls his best one ever......maybe even a little better.

longgame

That really was amazing, we re-wathched it a couple of times.  The thing that got me is the ball was going away from him when he caught it!  The one thing I'll say for JBJ is he gets a better jump on the ball than anyone I've ever seen.  He just seems to know where it's going off the crack of the bat.