GAME #106, FRIDAY, JULY 27, 2018, MINNESOTA TWINS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, July 27, 2018, 02:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on July 28, 2018, 01:21:16 AM
What I love about this board, so many of us cynical types  8)  We found our corner when the old boards imploded.  I think we all understand each other when we hit the panic button in our posts.  It's just the nature of being this kind of a Sox fan.

Heck, I ripped into Devers, Nunez, and Mookie before the game started and look who came through tonight  thumb_u
CONCUR !!  As DAD would say "SON, looks like the BOYS redeemed themselves as only the SOX can"   rofl rofl   Nice comeback !! On to SATURDAY !! thumb_u thumb_u iono rofl rofl

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on July 28, 2018, 07:45:31 AM
What I love about this board, so many of us cynical types  8)  We found our corner when the old boards imploded.  I think we all understand each other when we hit the panic button in our posts.  It's just the nature of being this kind of a Sox fan.

Heck, I ripped into Devers, Nunez, and Mookie before the game started and look who came through tonight  thumb_u
CONCUR !!  As DAD would say "SON, looks like the BOYS redeemed themselves as only the SOX can"   rofl rofl   Nice comeback !! On to SATURDAY !! thumb_u thumb_u iono rofl rofl
Another way of putting it …….. As DAD would say, "SON, the LOVE/HATE relationship with a FAN & his/her TEAM is something to BEHOLD" !!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

longgame

I think you can be a good fan and critical of individual performances.  It's the small things that make you lose late and in the postseason.  The good news is that this team manages to do the small good things too - like solo HRs in the 9th and 10th.  Last night was interesting.  I noted it early when Sale got in a little trouble, but still didn't give up any runs and struck out 10.  He was great, but if we're not going to extend him - and I like that plan - then we're going to need more quality arms in the pen and last night showed it.  The good news, Brasier - who gave up his first runs ever as a Red Sox - and Thornburg are new options back there.  We know what we have in Barnes and Hembree who are pretty good too, in spite of our complaints about some of their blowups.  Kelly needs to get better and we're going to have at least one of the starters, likely Johnson, also available.  We saw in last year's playoffs that relievers are more important than ever - they recorded more outs than starters in last year's postseason.  Plus, we know we have a limit on the backend of the pen too - Kimbrel.  Let's be realistic and not bring him in unless it's the start of the 9th inning.  Maybe bring him in if you get in trouble in the 9th, but that's still not a given.  But whatever you do, don't bring Kimbrel in in the 8th inning, ever.  Second, they need to spend a day with Kimbrel, Kelly and some of the hard throwers and make them only throw fastballs.  They'll need to throw the offspeed stuff to keep guys guessing, but throw the unhittable cheese 75% of the time and stop walking guys with the breaking stuff.

When I was watching the O's broadcast the other night they made a comment about relievers going over 20 pitches.  I thought it was an excellent point and I'd love to see the stats of short relievers and BAA over 20 pitches.  In general, if one of these guys is over 20 guys and gives up a hit, it's time to pull him.

So of course the good news is the bats came alive late.  They've been in a bit of a funk and I think it was George that noted the top of the order has been off since the ASG.  Let's hope that Mookie's shot last night was the return.  It's too bad that game in Baltimore didn't continue the other night as the 1-2-3 guys had all homered and that may have started them rolling.  They face Odorizzi tonight who's been so-so this year. 

Yankees have a doubleheader so the Sox need the win.  Of course they need all the wins at this point!

elktonnick

I also heard a comment that relievers don't do well the second inning.  In essence, pitch a reliever then don't bring him back the next inning.regardless of how.many pitches thrown.  This obviously doesn't apply to do goalkeeping relievers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on July 28, 2018, 01:19:31 PM
I also heard a comment that relievers don't do well the second inning.  In essence, pitch a reliever then don't bring him back the next inning.regardless of how.many pitches thrown.  This obviously doesn't apply to do goalkeeping relievers.

I totally agree with Ted that Kimbrel should NEVER be brought into a game in the eighth inning.  It seems to throw him off.  If we don't have a dependable 8th inning man, then trade for one.  Or decide if maybe Brasier or Poyner are better than the ones we are using, whether they are rookies or not.  It is talent and competitiveness that should count and not how long someone has been in the Big Leagues if those guys can't measure up when we need them.

As for your second inning point, I remember very painfully how Francona when he managed the Red Sox kept insisting that Manny Delcarmen could do out there and give us a second solid inning and I don't remember if ever happening.  All I remember if Terry going out there and taking him out after another failed second inning appearance.  Some pitchers are not equipped to go more than one inning.  Workman was a striking example of that when he pitched for us in 2015.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 28, 2018, 03:59:47 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on July 28, 2018, 01:19:31 PM

I totally agree with Ted that Kimbrel should NEVER be brought into a game in the eighth inning.  It seems to throw him off.  If we don't have a dependable 8th inning man, then trade for one.  Or decide if maybe Brasier or Poyner are better than the ones we are using, whether they are rookies or not.  It is talent and competitiveness that should count and not how long someone has been in the Big Leagues if those guys can't measure up when we need them.

As for your second inning point, I remember very painfully how Francona when he managed the Red Sox kept insisting that Manny Delcarmen could do out there and give us a second solid inning and I don't remember if ever happening.  All I remember if Terry going out there and taking him out after another failed second inning appearance.  Some pitchers are not equipped to go more than one inning.  Workman was a striking example of that when he pitched for us in 2015.
CONCUR.... Get BOBBY POYNER back up there , NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!! rofl rofl

dgalehouse

.          I think many of us still have trouble getting past all of the disappointment and heartbreak before 2004. But things have changed. We need to relax and enjoy this year's team. They are not perfect. They are not going to win every game , but they are the best in MLB.  I feel very confident every time they take the field.

Bill-806

Quote from: dgalehouse on July 28, 2018, 06:49:28 PM

.          I think many of us still have trouble getting past all of the disappointment and heartbreak before 2004. But things have changed. We need to relax and enjoy this year's team. They are not perfect. They are not going to win every game , but they are the best in MLB.  I feel very confident every time they take the field.
WELL PUT  D G ………. The fact is, that all of us BABY BOOMBERS in the TWILIGHT of our GAME is seeing the best RED SOX SEASON EVAAAA !!!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: dgalehouse on July 28, 2018, 06:49:28 PM

dgalehouse---I have no such excuse in Red Sox history because I did not come aboard until August 19, 2004 when I attended a Red Sox game and left the ballpark a Red Sox fan, but I do have a pedigree where the Yankees are concerned.  It is perhaps why I get so emotionally charged when I know we have to beat those guys to  get where we want to be.  You see, I lived my first 14 years in Queens long before there was  the Mets and my team was the Brooklyn Dodgers and it seemed we would face the Yankees in the World Series and lose, lose, lose and lose to them.  If we weren't blowing the pennant we were getting embarrassed by those damn Yankees.  Hell, Brooklyn didn't win the Series until I left New York even though I soon became an inveterate Dodger hater.  So you see, I do get carried away, I am passionate about my new team and the thought of the Yankees beating us out of a division or pennant actually sickens me.  Well hell DG, you had to know I had an excuse for my actions here much of the time.  And whatever it takes we must prevail over the Yankees in the AL East this season and then go on from there.