GAME #86, MONDAY, JULY 2, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT WASHINGTON NATIONALS

Started by longgame, July 02, 2018, 06:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Schloicka

Porcello with the win. Kimbrel with the save. On to Tuesday.

BoSoxFanNY

markj

BoSoxFanNY

And the Yankees LOSE in the 11th inning to
the Braves.
Braves 5 - Yanks 3

Back in first place in the AL EAST.

SeaBeachFred

Now you guys and gals out there know why this team is so hard to watch.  They literally tear your guts apart and throw you off your equilibrium.  From the Meatball getting his ass in trouble to Kelly still farting around and getting himself in dutch, it's enough to want to make yourself decompress after they play a game........even when they win like tonight and scare the crap out of you.  Will someone tell me is JD was injured or why the hell he wasn't in the lineup?

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on July 02, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
Whoa. So much for no drama. But he got it done. Sox win.

It turned out to be a good night all around markj as we held on to pull it out 4-3 while the Yankees lost at home in extras to the Braves, so  we can all go to bed happy and hope we don't replay the game and have a nightmare.  One thing was obvious from this game and that is that Brock Holt needs to play second base full time....PERIOD.  The guy is hitting over 300 and plays a decent second base and looks alive out there, but I could add a second thing and that's the slump  that Benintendi and Bogaerts happen to be in.  They need to get it going again because we need our key players hitting in sync.  What does worry me is that I know the Yankees are going to trade for pitching and have the prospects (16 of their 20 top ones are pitchers) to get themselves a veteran starter and maybe two and trade good young pitching prospects for them.  What do we have to trade with?  So we better hope that, one, the few we have can get us another hitter and one or two better relief pitchers than the ones we have, and try with all our might to open up a lead on the Yankees before the trade deadline.

ipot

When your starting pitcher drives in 3 runs you better damn well win the game  ;)

Not happy with Joe Kelly drama AGAIN, but happy with both the result and a nice game by Holt.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

I was really worried when Kimbrel didn't get that third strike call.  As we've seen time and again, he (like many other pitchers) checked out after he didn't get that call.  Of course they also decided to throw all sorts of crap, ditto with Kelly.  These guys need to learn how to throw strikes and use the offspeed stuff just enough to keep guys off balance.

Bill-806

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on July 02, 2018, 10:06:12 PM
And the Yankees LOSE in the 11th inning to
the Braves.
Braves 5 - Yanks 3

Back in first place in the AL EAST.
As DAD would say, "SON, it was a great night of BASEBALL, SOX WIN, YANK LOSE" !!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on July 03, 2018, 07:58:23 AM
I was really worried when Kimbrel didn't get that third strike call.  As we've seen time and again, he (like many other pitchers) checked out after he didn't get that call.  Of course they also decided to throw all sorts of crap, ditto with Kelly.  These guys need to learn how to throw strikes and use the offspeed stuff just enough to keep guys off balance.

I think I finally realized why the Cardinals decided to unload Kelly back in 2014 after talking him up as one of their best young pitchers only the year before.  He is either stubborn, uncoachable or just downright stupid.  He has the tools, the stuff and the speed.  He just doesn't seem to know how to pitch well on a consistent basis. Get us  two more relievers before Kelly, the Meatball and others blow it for us.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 03, 2018, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: longgame on July 03, 2018, 07:58:23 AM

I think I finally realized why the Cardinals decided to unload Kelly back in 2014 after talking him up as one of their best young pitchers only the year before.  He is either stubborn, uncoachable or just downright stupid.  He has the tools, the stuff and the speed.  He just doesn't seem to know how to pitch well on a consistent basis. Get us  two more relievers before Kelly, the Meatball and others blow it for us.

It should start with the manager, the pitching coach and the catchers.  Cora was yelling at him the other night to throw more fastballs from the dugout.  This is an approach issue for the backend guys.  I'd love to see the pitch charts for these guys as it seems from observation that they get in more trouble playing around than gassing guys.