GAME #67, MONDAY, JUNE 11, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, June 11, 2018, 03:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Great pitching tonight and Wright was once again on the money and we should all feel a little bit better----I said a little bit better but whose kidding who?  The offense looked like shit and we're still flailing away like a pack of sick dogs.  What's the answer?????  Are you kidding?  This club of ours has to get its collective head out of its collective asses and toughen up and start acting and playing like a team that's committed.  Stop feeling sorry for themselves and man up.  They can start by coming out swinging tomorrow and start proving to themselves and their fans that they're a real team and not a pack of candy asses.  Who knows if they can.  We will see if this win gets them back on course.   The jury is out.

markj

Check out the ALE standings. Sox and Yanks are tied at the top and the next team, TB, is *14* games back. Yikes.

markj

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 11, 2018, 10:29:06 PM
Great pitching tonight and Wright was once again on the money and we should all feel a little bit better----I said a little bit better but whose kidding who?  The offense looked like shit and we're still flailing away like a pack of sick dogs.  What's the answer?????  Are you kidding?  This club of ours has to get its collective head out of its collective asses and toughen up and start acting and playing like a team that's committed.  Stop feeling sorry for themselves and man up.  They can start by coming out swinging tomorrow and start proving to themselves and their fans that they're a real team and not a pack of candy asses.  Who knows if they can.  We will see if this win gets them back on course.   The jury is out.

Agreed, Fred. They're averaging 2 runs/game over the last 5 games. That's not a happy stat.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 11, 2018, 10:33:02 PM

Agreed, Fred. They're averaging 2 runs/game over the last 5 games. That's not a happy stat.

Well markj, we have Mookie back and that should help.  Then, again, who knows if the Mook suddenly decides he has a pimple on his nose and wants out for another two weeks. Well, that aside, we need his bat and those of our other supposed good hitters to start lighting things up again because we all know that we're getting shit from Bradley and Vazquez, our two Mendoza Mashers, and probably a couple of o thers too.  I wish Nunez gets warm; he is a good hitter and I wonder if his knee and leg injuries have impacted his ability to get around on pitches he mashed last summer.

ipot

Quote from: markj on June 11, 2018, 10:33:02 PM

It's been ugly on the hitting side, yup.  Tonight was the ugliest of it.  You don't realize how uneven the lineup is when Mookie/JD/Moreland/Beni are having off nights.  Well, Beni has been hot as of late.  And agreed we really need Nunez to come around - he's too good a hitter for what's been keeping him quiet.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on June 11, 2018, 03:41:03 PM
Camden YARDS is not the ideal place to TROTT out the KNUCKEL BALL ???   Good luck Mr. WRIGHT !! thumb_u iono iono iono
WOW.... Nice job Mr. Wright !!  Our VAUNTED offense has taken a holiday again !!!  YANK$ with night off gave us a chance to gain.....Thank goodness we WON !! thumb_u

longgame

Actually Nunez has been hitting lately, it just doesn't seem like he contributes anything because there's nobody behind him for 3 spots.  The team slumping is easy to pinpoint - Martinez is what I hope is a mini-slump and with Betts out, even Beni couldn't make up the difference although he's trying.  Last night I Betts was still rusty, but Martinez was taking some of the worst swings I've ever seen him take.

Devers is funny.  Remember last year when all they could talk about is how the game slows down for him?  Now he can't seem to get the bat off his shoulder fast enough.  He just seems ready to swing at every pitch, especially if it's out of the zone - those over the plate balls don't excite him much.

Moreland had a chance last night to blast it open with a 3-1 count.  He got a straight fastball, middle in above the knees.  He should have cleared it out but the guy was having so much trouble throwing strikes he took the pitch - and then struck out on the next pitch.

It's the same story - the bottom half of our lineup is putrid so if the top stumbles, it's tough to score runs. 

Sea Dog 23

To balance the lineup, maybe DD can trade someone from our abundance of pitchers for a Willy Mo Pena.   sigh

elktonnick

What may have gotten lost in last night's win was the news that Pomerantz "injured" himself playing catch.  If Buchholtz was a Fabrege Egg than Pomerantz is as fragile as a china vase.

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 12, 2018, 08:50:50 AM
To balance the lineup, maybe DD can trade someone from our abundance of pitchers for a Willy Mo Pena.   sigh
Speaking of BALANCE, with MOOKIE back I would TELL the MANAGER to leadoff BENNIE, MOOKIE2nd and J D  3rd !!  What a way to START the game, all 3 would see GREAT pitches !! thumb_u

SeaBeachFred

Do any of you out there are watching MLB.com right now and hearing Cora's unadulterated bullshit telling people watching that he likes the way Bradley and Vazquez are now swinging and how they will start producing big time for the team?  Is he living on Venus or something?  The guy is either out to lunch and is getting his lunch eaten.  Yes, I believe that loss last Thursday h as had a deleterious effect on our team's confidence of late and that may be true or just another idea of what could be many reasons.  However, one thing is indisputably true----the bottom of our lineup sucks and if the top five or so don't hit we in deep shit because Vaz and JBJ are not going to hit, not now, not next month or next year.  I wish we could upgrade but we have little to trade.  Bradley has no trade value to speak of, Vaz has a three year contract that's now an albatross of sorts, Devers looks lost as the game has speeded up on  him and Nunez still is in the doldrums.  Again, while all of you keep harping that Holt is a part time player, he needs to play more.  He brings what little fire we have on this team, but maybe having Mookie back can ignite our offense a little more.