GAME #40, SUNDAY, MAY 13, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Bear, May 12, 2018, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Schloicka

Velázquez with the win (now 5-0) and Kelly with the save. A 6-4 road trip is pretty good. Back to Fenway they go.

elktonnick

Red Sox win the series and return to Fenway with a 6-4 record for the road trip.  Any time you can return home with a winning  record for the road trip is a positive.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on May 13, 2018, 03:58:44 PM
Velázquez with the win (now 5-0) and Kelly with the save. A 6-4 road trip is pretty good. Back to Fenway they go.
As DAD would say......  SON, that Valequez  is a KEEPER.... OH yes, the games you win in April & MAY ya don't have to win in SEPTEMBER"...... Especially this year with the BRONX BOMBER$ !!! Already score board watching !!! thumb_u iono rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

I'll take it.  We win the series when we could have lost it or been swept or we could have swept the series or we could have lost the series two games.  This is next to the best scenario, but Pomeranz still is not ready for prime time pitching and he showed that today, and if you looked at our lineup a number of players were AWOL again and that is why stiffs like Bradley and Vazquez are so dangerous to have out there.  If two or three others come up boxcars in a game as they did today we are in serious trouble and could lose that game.  If this keeps up we have to get those two out of the lineup.  We need Bradley out and trade for a catcher who can hit some.  Two stiffs in a lineup causes a bad ripple effect in the lineup if others fail as they did today.  Well at least we still stay in front with the Yankees.  Oh yes, that game is still going on but is as good as over if you get my drift.  And tomorrow we face the guy who no hitted us in Oakland to start our slide back to average, that is, average since that tremendous 17-2 start.  I don't think were that good to go 17-2 but we are better than what we have shown since then (11-10)

ipot

The pen stepped in great for 2nd game in a row.  Very Good.   

Pomeranz is reverting back to his 4-5 inning starts again.  I can't figure this guy out.  He looks bad; he looks good; but most times he looks both good AND bad in the same game  iono
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

elktonnick

Having watched Pomerantz up close now for the past year and half, I agree he is an enigma.  The best I can come up with is that conditions have to be ideal for him to pitch well.  It was said that he used his fingernails to get a tight grip on the ball to throw his tremendous curveball which is the key to his success.  I think the damage to his fingernails the other day may have limited his effectiveness last night.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on May 14, 2018, 07:25:02 AM
Having watched Pomerantz up close now for the past year and half, I agree he is an enigma.  The best I can come up with is that conditions have to be ideal for him to pitch well.  It was said that he used his fingernails to get a tight grip on the ball to throw his tremendous curveball which is the key to his success.  I think the damage to his fingernails the other day may have limited his effectiveness last night.
He is another one that  D D could/should consider in a package to make room on the roster for quality depth as he removes the ones that need to go ..... Swihart, Hembree, JBJ, and others.... a bLOCKBUSTER is good !!

Bear

As he spoke yesterday, he did not get his practices in during the week.  His responsibility, yes, he agreed.
Not sure what happened.  I think they'll give him another chance.

Sea Dog 23

I did not see the game, he goes four innings totaling about 103 pitches, about 49 of those were called balls.  That is stuggling for just any pitcher, whatever level.