GAME #38, FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Bear, May 11, 2018, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on May 11, 2018, 10:08:52 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on May 11, 2018, 10:03:19 PM
Let face it this bullpen sucks.

No argument here, but the lack of offense really killed this game.

Sox are 10-10 for their last 20. They're really a .500 team who played above their skill set to open the season.

We lost it because we didn't bring that man home in the ninth.........Mookie was on second  with one out and Benny and Hanley coming up .  One of them should have shown some balls and make something happen but both crapped out.  When that happened I knew the game was lost.  We have to bring those runners home----and don't feel happy that we didn't lose any ground.  We did because the Yankees have the prospects and LT in their favor that they can go out and trade for help on the mound, the lineup  and the bullpen.  We can't, all the more reason we have to try and gain some ground on them despite having the two worst hitters of any team at the bottom of our lineup.

ipot

Either the offense crapped the bed (Boston POV) or the Toronto pen was the greatest show on earth (Toronto POV).  I'll say our offense crapped the bed and the Jays pen is better than our pen.  Heck, any pen is better than ours.

As Mark noted, we are comfortably settling into 500 ball for the past 20 games. 

Sale will be the first pitcher in history to record 200+ innings, 250+ Ks, and a 2.50 or under ERA with less than 10 Ws to show for it....sad. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Very PAINFUL to wake up this morning to a LOSS like THAT !!! As mentioned many times, we are in a FREE-FALL to lousy BASEBALL......  HAN/RAM running a STOP SIGN ???  Please SPARE me......  I want changes , NOW GRASSHOPPER......  Starting with BOBBY POYNER...... iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Bill-806 on May 12, 2018, 06:53:02 AM
Very PAINFUL to wake up this morning to a LOSS like THAT !!! As mentioned many times, we are in a FREE-FALL to lousy BASEBALL......  HAN/RAM running a STOP SIGN ???  Please SPARE me......  I want changes , NOW GRASSHOPPER......  Starting with BOBBY POYNER...... iono iono

At this point it's gonna take THREE Poyners to patch up this yo-yo pitching staff.

longgame

Toronto broadcasters were killing Nunez.  I had only heard part on the radio until late but apparently he was loafing it down the line on two DPs.  Not good.  The Sox need to get their crap together.  They're putting up offensive stats but aren't playing like a team.  Plus the defense is sucking along with the crappy bullpen. 

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on May 12, 2018, 09:39:24 AM
Toronto broadcasters were killing Nunez.  I had only heard part on the radio until late but apparently he was loafing it down the line on two DPs.  Not good.  The Sox need to get their crap together.  They're putting up offensive stats but aren't playing like a team.  Plus the defense is sucking along with the crappy bullpen.

I know he did loaf on 1 of the dp's. He actually slowed up the last 10-15 feet. He would of beat it out.

SeaBeachFred

How about hearing some suggestions from my colleagues out there.  You all know what I would do; let's hear from you.  Yes, we are pretty much agreement (save for mkarp who always follows the team party line) that we are playing dull, stupid baseball and are making mistakes from the manager on down.  What could be do to rectify this when we are choked by the LT and players whose trade value plummets with every loss we absorb.

elktonnick

Nunez has bad wheels.  His legs aren't 100%.  The bull pen is another matter.  Barnes and Hembree are terrified to pound the strike zone.  If I were the manager I would be all over these guys for leadoff walks.

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on May 12, 2018, 11:50:17 AM
Nunez has bad wheels.  His legs aren't 100%.  The bull pen is another matter.  Barnes and Hembree are terrified to pound the strike zone.  If I were the manager I would be all over these guys for leadoff walks.
So, why was HOLT removed from the game late ???? iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on May 12, 2018, 11:50:17 AM

Well with Pedroia due to return hopefully early next week, we can make Nunez a utility man and have him spell Pedey, Rafey and Bogey from time to time to keep him fresh.  That might help keep Eduardo strong until his legs get back to full strength......that is, if they do.  As far as the relievers are concerned, once again Elk I'm right there with you.  Where the hell, though is Lavigne?  He is the pit ching coach and needs to put down the hammer damn it .  If those two guys are plate gun shy get them the hell out of the spot they're and put them into mop up work.........a big win a big loss and they pitch.  Close games Nyet, nein, no mas, no.  Velasquez did ok today; maybe he is an answer, and if Kelly can avoid walking too many he could be a help.  Smith seems to be getting better and why the hell isn't Poyner back up?   A little tough love might be a needed factor now.