GAME #109, WEDNESDAY, JULY 31, 2019, TAMPA BAY RAYS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, July 31, 2019, 10:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Murph is right on.  Made no sense to fix the air pressure in the tires if the car can't got more than a couple of miles after you start it.  I thought all of the NESN commentators, even though it was just supporting the company line, nailed it - this team, like any team, is built on your starters going at least 6 or 7 innings most night and leaving with a lead.  That's always the plan unless you have a "starter" (getting tired of that crap already).   If you pay guys 10s of millions of dollars per year, it's reasonable to expect some sort of consistent performance.  If that part isn't working, why bother to address other parts?  It's unrealistic to think the Sox can throw any more money at the starting pitcher problem as they pay more for their rotation than some teams pay for their entire payroll.  DD said "get out there and play like you're paid".

As for the position players, I don't think they are affected by the lack of trades, I think they are more affected by trying to come back from a 5 run deficit.  It's not easy to do because you have to play differently.  The pen didn't help of course, but the offense keeps battling.

Starting to remind me of some of the Sox really bad seasons (this isn't one, we just know their potential after last year) where they get behind early and then can't catch up. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: Murph on August 01, 2019, 07:50:00 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 31, 2019, 09:11:11 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the players are aghast that no megastar is joining their team and are more or less pi$$ed.  Sale voiced his displeasure in the spring that all of MLB was rejecting the free agents.

Yet management seems to be calling their bluff today.  Play hard now with what you got, or other arrangements will take place.

Megastars not coming  in but be damn sure at  least 1 under control  will and should leave and will benefit the club going forward.

I think I know who you're talking about.  He has a temper and MAYBE COULD, YA NEVER KNOW be a problem in the clubhouse.

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 01, 2019, 08:46:03 AM
Quote from: Murph on August 01, 2019, 07:50:00 AM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on July 31, 2019, 09:11:11 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the players are aghast that no megastar is joining their team and are more or less pi$$ed.  Sale voiced his displeasure in the spring that all of MLB was rejecting the free agents.

Yet management seems to be calling their bluff today.  Play hard now with what you got, or other arrangements will take place.

Megastars not coming  in but be damn sure at  least 1 under control  will and should leave and will benefit the club going forward.

I think I know who you're talking about.  He has a temper and MAYBE COULD, YA NEVER KNOW be a problem in the clubhouse.
INTERESTING ??  Lets play 20 QUESTIONS.....  Are we talking about a PITCHER ???? iono iono iono iono iono iono

longgame

If you're talking about Price, I believe that option was only for last year and they're on the hook for slightly more than $30M per year through 2022. 

I still wonder if there will be a reckoning with starting pitchers if they continue to pitch less both in terms of quantity and quality.  Why should guys who pitch maybe 5 innings once a week and half the time perform badly make $30MM a year?

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on August 01, 2019, 12:59:34 PM
If you're talking about Price, I believe that option was only for last year and they're on the hook for slightly more than $30M per year through 2022. 

I still wonder if there will be a reckoning with starting pitchers if they continue to pitch less both in terms of quantity and quality.  Why should guys who pitch maybe 5 innings once a week and half the time perform badly make $30MM a year?

No, my guess was the guy who can't get management to throw him a lifeline this year.